Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Go the F*** to Sleep

(38 Posts)
katesheilaskate Sat 11-Jun-11 13:56:08

See today's Guardian - Family section. Author says "If I've got grandmothers springing to my defence, I think I'll be OK". I have ordered his book for both my daughters, as I think they will love it, but the Daily Mail seems to be conducting a war against it. What do other Gransnetters think?

supernana Sun 12-Jun-11 18:59:22

baggythecrust I most certainly did not ask GG to put in the asterisks. My message to you was because I'm taking a step back and retreating to the quiet corner as opposed to having "my say" regarding matters that seem to cause a bit of a hoo-ha [with other GN]. I'm certain that we haven't come to blows on any matter and I apologise if my point has been misunderstood. I think that you are a lovely Gransnetter.smile

crimson Sun 12-Jun-11 19:07:16

I thought it was a self help sort of book? [badly needed in my family]. If it's poetry I'll give it a miss, and it sounds as if the f word was just to get a bit of publicity.

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 19:11:54

supernana, you're super! I think it shows great strength to step back. Unfortunately, or otherwise (depending on viewpoint), I so strongly believe in freedom of speech, even about things that are disliked, that I can't keep my big mouth shut! Hey ho. Thank you for your kindness. smile

jangly Sun 12-Jun-11 20:10:25

crimson it appears to be a book of four line rhymes, each with the f word in. I think its meant to make parents feel better about how they feel when their baby won't sleep.

supernana Mon 13-Jun-11 11:47:45

baggythecrust ...smile smile smile

Twobabes Mon 13-Jun-11 23:23:35

Have read an on-line version of this and I think it's brilliant.

It took me straight back to the early days of motherhood and the exhaustion and sheer desperation of having a baby who would not sleep.My daughter sent it to me - she's going through the same with her little ones and thought it was spot on..

As for the WORD, it's not one I choose to use in conversation but in this context it's absolutely perfect. "Go the gosh to sleep" just doesn't do it for me!

This book was not written for children, but for their poor parents - isn't that obvious? It does, however, need a functioning sense of humour in the reader.

baggythecrust! Tue 14-Jun-11 06:30:17

Well said, twobabes. what you said in your last line is bang on. Those who think they are taking the moral high ground on this have just failed to grasp the essence of the thing altogether.

lucid Tue 14-Jun-11 10:47:02

Yesterday's Times 2 supplement had a very good article about this book - apparently the film rights have been sold to Fox in the USA and they are working on a toned down version for children.
Having read one of the rhymes it did make me smile and take me back to trying to get the little dears off to sleep....when you're exhausted and they want to chat!

jangly Mon 20-Jun-11 19:21:31

I think it is a shame to use the word "fuck" as a swear word. I mean, most people at times, very much enjoy doing it. Its an essential part of most people's lives,and it ensures continuation of the race. Why do we de-base a perfectly good anglo saxon word for doing something so nice? I just don't get it really.

But since we have de-based it and it offends most people, then its best avoided. And its ridiculous to write a whole book of silly rhymes with the word in each of them

GoldenGran Mon 20-Jun-11 19:40:49

jangly, I agree, but it will sell the book, and we are having some quite heated discussion about it.

Zephrine Sun 24-Jul-11 14:14:48

I don't like to hear children in the playground use the word and I don't much care to hear youths in the street using it as every other word but as a book title I have the choice to read it or not so it doesn't bother me.

apricot Tue 26-Jul-11 21:23:38

I read the reviews when it came out and meant to buy it but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.
It's not OF COURSE meant for children.