Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Tonight 7-8pm When God Was a Rabbit webchat with Sarah WInman

(69 Posts)
mollie Tue 21-Jun-11 08:39:30

I've only a few chapters left to read but I love it! The title put me off as did the story blurb but it was sitting on a shelf waiting for me at the library so I thought 'why not?'. The cover of the hardback version caught my eye so it got a thumbs up for that alone.

I am truly surprised that this is a first time novelist - she's achieved a cleverly crafted story written from a child's point of view including all those clever layers of half-understanding and enlightenment. All the characters are nice, even the ones who turn out to be not so nice...

This book reminds me of Hideous Kinky although set here in the UK. I wouldn't have given this a go but for Gransnet so I'm glad to have had the chance to enjoy such a lovely story. I hope this is the first of many by Sarah Winman.

magsw Sun 17-Jul-11 19:07:38

I really enjoyed this book, all the characters are great and the relationship between the children is lovely. I especially loved the empathy elly showed to her friend. It made me wish that I had had a friend like that when I was growing up.

effblinder Tue 19-Jul-11 17:39:28

ooh am excited about hearing Sarah's thoughts from 7 tonight.

I wanted to ask about Sarah's own family because the family relationships in the book are so strong (I actually felt quite jealous of the really lovely family - blood-related and not - that was depicted in the house by the sea)

What was your family like, Sarah? Do you feel like they influenced your portrayal of Elly's family?

Did you have a rabbit? smile

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 18:53:30

Hello, I'm here!

Looking forward to answering your questions about When God Was a Rabbit and anything else...

Sarah

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 19:03:29

We're absolutely delighted to have Sarah Winman here to answer your questions about When God Was A Rabbit - and anything else you're burning to know from her. So let's get going....we know a lot of gransnetters have enjoyed the book...

sneetch Tue 19-Jul-11 19:05:40

Hi Sarah, loved the book. There's quite a lot of magic in the book - but your attitude to it seems equivocal, tied up with god and fate and so on. Is magic something you believe in?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 19:08:26

Ha...sorry Sarah, I'm jetlagged and half asleep. I meant to ask you when I kicked us off - there's quite a lot of abuse in the book, sort of under the radar. Why did you want to write about abuse, and was it difficult to handle it sensitively? (which I think you do, by the way!)

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:08:38

effblinder

ooh am excited about hearing Sarah's thoughts from 7 tonight.

I wanted to ask about Sarah's own family because the family relationships in the book are so strong (I actually felt quite jealous of the really lovely family - blood-related and not - that was depicted in the house by the sea)

What was your family like, Sarah? Do you feel like they influenced your portrayal of Elly's family?

Did you have a rabbit? smile

Hello effblinder
I did have a rabbit when I was a very small child and it was a belgian hare and I named it after me. It went missing. That hurt.... My family were close and we had lots of friends who were part of our family. At the time they seemed pretty conventional, but I guess looking back, they exhibited their own moments of eccentricity. Time allows such perspective. What I have presented in When God was a Rabbit is an idyll - a homage to the family.

annie19 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:08:41

Hi Sarah, welcome to gransnet!

Just wanted to say that Arthur was my
Favourite character. Did you enjoy writing him?

Would you ever write your own memoirs like he did?

getmehrt Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:29

Hi Sarah, You used to be an actor, I think (perhaps still are!) Are there similarities between acting and writing? Which do you prefer?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:45

sneetch

Hi Sarah, loved the book. There's quite a lot of magic in the book - but your attitude to it seems equivocal, tied up with god and fate and so on. Is magic something you believe in?

Hi sneetch.
I believe in mystery, whatever form it comes in. I like to think that the inexplicable exists in our world, that somehow there is room for a kind of magic, whatever that might be.

Harry123 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:13:23

There are several gay characters in the book - an unusual amount. Why did you want to write about being gay?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:13:45

GeraldineGransnet

Ha...sorry Sarah, I'm jetlagged and half asleep. I meant to ask you when I kicked us off - there's quite a lot of abuse in the book, sort of under the radar. Why did you want to write about abuse, and was it difficult to handle it sensitively? (which I think you do, by the way!)

Hi Geraldine
I wanted to write about abuse, about violence because it is, unfortunately part of life. But, more importantly, I wanted to write about it in a way that didn't impede the narrative; to allow it to exist without comment really, and to see the consequence later. I wanted readers to come to their own conclusion as to the extent of the abuse rather than writing explicitly about it - There is too much in newspapers for me to think that it necessarily works in the books I wish to write.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:16:35

annie19

Hi Sarah, welcome to gransnet!

Just wanted to say that Arthur was my
Favourite character. Did you enjoy writing him?

Would you ever write your own memoirs like he did?

Hi annie19
If my life ends up as raunchy and as colourful as Arthur's, then I'll happily pen a memoir. However, I feel I'm way behind that rascal. Yes, I loved writing about him. He has elements of my grandfather Tom, a natural storyteller who seemed to embellish the most mundane story. My grandfather wasn't gay but he had an acceptance and a wisdom that stays with me today. He was lovely - like Arthur.

tigerticker Tue 19-Jul-11 19:17:56

Hi Sarah,

There have been several posts on Gransnet about whether you should persist with a book you've started - and I wondered what you as a writer thought about that? Do you feel once you've started a book you owe it to the author to finish it? Or are you not bothered about abandoning books half way through?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:19:56

getmehrt

Hi Sarah, You used to be an actor, I think (perhaps still are!) Are there similarities between acting and writing? Which do you prefer?

Hi getmehrt
Both mediums are about storytelling and so they cross over perfectly. Acting and being around scripts taught me how to write. Also, having my own words changed my relationship with acting. I am still acting although haven't had the time to commit to it the last 14 months or so. When I feel well into another book, then I would love to go back to it, if I am still wanted! Being on set with other actors, seeing their magic is a wonderful thing. Sitting at home, quiet, being led into a world that you had never considered is magical too.

putaspellonyou Tue 19-Jul-11 19:20:27

Do you ever have days when you just don't feel like writing? What makes you sit down at your computer (or your notebook or whatever?!)

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 19:23:02

I had another question...a couple of people on this forum have suggested earlier that Arthur should be played by Simon Callow. I wondered if that fitted your picture of him too?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:24:25

Harry123

There are several gay characters in the book - an unusual amount. Why did you want to write about being gay?

Hi Harry123
I suppose my perspective feels a little different. I didn't write about characters being gay with a desire to talk or explore their sexuality, they just are gay. My life is full of different people who inspire me on many levels - their sexuality simply exists - and so what I wanted to present was that. A family of acceptance and lack of commentary over difference.

getmehrt Tue 19-Jul-11 19:26:49

The book is in two parts, really - when the main characters are children and when they're adults. I wondered why you wanted to structure it like this?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:29:38

tigerticker

Hi Sarah,

There have been several posts on Gransnet about whether you should persist with a book you've started - and I wondered what you as a writer thought about that? Do you feel once you've started a book you owe it to the author to finish it? Or are you not bothered about abandoning books half way through?

Hi tigerticker
I think it's lovely to think about the author that way - about the work they've put into a book - but also, life's too short! If you don't like something, then leave it - at least you tried - go find something that inspires, makes you feel passionate or angry. However, don't give up too early. Sometimes plots and characters take a while to embrace.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:32:32

putaspellonyou

Do you ever have days when you just don't feel like writing? What makes you sit down at your computer (or your notebook or whatever?!)

Hello putaspellonyou
Yes of course! There are days when writing feels like a job and you don't want to go to work. However, you need to get the story to a place where you just can't leave it - where you are so in love with it that there will always be a moment of intrigue to guide you through the negative voices.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:34:02

GeraldineGransnet

I had another question...a couple of people on this forum have suggested earlier that Arthur should be played by Simon Callow. I wondered if that fitted your picture of him too?

Hi Geraldine
Mmmm. I actually think he's too young. I would have said Ian McKellen.

greatgablegran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:35:43

Hi Sarah,

There are a lot of real-life events in the book - it seems very crowded with incident, what with the real-world events and all the turbulent things that happen to the family. Why did you decide to anchor the book against events like 9/11 and the Brixton riots?

northerngran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:35:51

Hi Sarah

To me the sign of a good books is one that leaves you wanting more. And with this one I wanted more! I was dying to know what happened to Elly after that. Were you ever tempted to carry the story on a bit longer?

northerngran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:36:44

PS - oops meant to say that I really enjoyed it and like others on here, particularly loved Arthur