Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Tonight 7-8pm When God Was a Rabbit webchat with Sarah WInman

(69 Posts)
mollie Tue 21-Jun-11 08:39:30

I've only a few chapters left to read but I love it! The title put me off as did the story blurb but it was sitting on a shelf waiting for me at the library so I thought 'why not?'. The cover of the hardback version caught my eye so it got a thumbs up for that alone.

I am truly surprised that this is a first time novelist - she's achieved a cleverly crafted story written from a child's point of view including all those clever layers of half-understanding and enlightenment. All the characters are nice, even the ones who turn out to be not so nice...

This book reminds me of Hideous Kinky although set here in the UK. I wouldn't have given this a go but for Gransnet so I'm glad to have had the chance to enjoy such a lovely story. I hope this is the first of many by Sarah Winman.

OTHill Thu 21-Jul-11 19:35:16

Congratulations Ms Winman, what a truly wonderful book WGWAR is. I started to read it the minute I opened the package (thank you Gransnet) but I've not quite finished yet due to time constraints. I get completely into it, totally absorbed, it's my escapism to a different world. Fantastic. Here's to your next novel(s).

Elegran Wed 20-Jul-11 18:21:57

Proudgrandma - I think you have found the chatroom, but we seem to refer to it as the forum. There are many conversation threads on many topics. Take your pick and chat away!

Proudgrandma Wed 20-Jul-11 18:13:13

Hello,
Is there a chatroom attatched to this site?
Proudgrandma

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 20:13:48

Thank you all for such great questions and thank you for being so supportive of my book. It means a huge amount to me. Wishing you well and have a lovely evening.
love Sarah x

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 20:03:38

Time's up, folks. Many thanks, Sarah, for your time in the Gransnet book club - lots of gransnetters seem to have enjoyed When God Was A Rabbit, and we really appreciate your coming on to talk to us about it and about writing. Congratulations on the success of the book, and good luck with the next one - we'll be looking out for it.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 20:02:44

greatgablegran

A number of the characters in the book seem to be looking for something to believe in and having their desire to believe in things thwarted. Is that a fair comment? And if so, is it something you think about a lot?

yes, to some extent. But I look at it that all the characters are haunted - have ghosts - and are searching in some ways to put these ghosts to rest. When that happens, they gain a certain amount of freedom - spiritual, emotional - but most of all they gain themselves.
Do I think about this? Yes, I suppose. How to balance loss, acceptance, attain some kind of redemption... I write about these themes, maybe because they're mine.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:58:59

sneetch

It must be very exciting to write your first novel and see it be so successful. Does it mean there's a lot of pressure on you to produce another one that does as well. Are you able to put that aside, or do you get performance anxiety when you write?!

Good question sneetch.
I am very aware that people are expecting a novel that will do as well as this one, or that will be as loved as this one, but I have always said that that's a little out of my hands. My requirement of myself is to write a better book. It may be as loved, maybe not. But I also know that the success of Rabbit has been down to 3 important factors apart from my writing it - Luck, Timing and the astonishing hard work of my publishers. So, if I can locate in my heart, my mind the only story that wants to come out now, then that's what I will write. And then whatever happens afterwards, I know that it doesn't matter because this was the only tale that asked to be told.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:55:13

tigerticker

What authors inspired you? Do you think you write like anyone else (if that's not too rude a thing to say)? Is there anyone you would really like to write like? If you could have written one other book, apart from your own, what would it be?

Hi again tigerticker
I am inspired by John Irving, Tim Winton, Toni Morrison, Jeanette Winterson, Sarah Waters, William Boyd, and a few more! But these are authors whose works I revisit. I don't think I write like anyone because I think writing style is like a fingerprint and quite unique - however, you might think I write like someone, and that's ok. I don't think it serves too much of a purpose to try and write like someone - best to be inspired by the excellence that is set and aim for whatever is those writers do well - be it emotional intensity or brilliant characters etc...If I could have written one book?
Cloudstreet. (by Mr Winton)

greatgablegran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:54:59

A number of the characters in the book seem to be looking for something to believe in and having their desire to believe in things thwarted. Is that a fair comment? And if so, is it something you think about a lot?

sneetch Tue 19-Jul-11 19:51:16

It must be very exciting to write your first novel and see it be so successful. Does it mean there's a lot of pressure on you to produce another one that does as well. Are you able to put that aside, or do you get performance anxiety when you write?!

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:50:47

Harry123

I particularly liked Joe, who reminded me of my grandson, who also used to like dressing up in his mum's clothes (but unlike Joe is a very good dancer!)

I seem to be the only man on here again...this happened in the last books webchat! Where are Pompa etc - the inhabitants of the shed - when you need them?

Anyway, Sarah, I also liked the setting of the early part in Redbridge, because I grew up there too. Didn't know any barristers, though - that was a bit posh for Redbridge, where most people in my day were taxi drivers or shopkeepers or electricians. I was curious to know whether you knew any barristers or whether that was artistic licence?

Well, Harry123
I knew plenty of policemen who knew barristers. I suppose I wanted him to be different as well. He is not from Redbridge, but came here for work. So the theme of difference and how one fits in is relevant here too.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:48:16

rosiemus

Hello Sarah and welcome to gransnet.

I am a big fan of Ian McKellen but I am not sure he is 'cuddly' enough for Arthur!

Just wondered whether you have spent much time in New York? Really enjoyed the bits set there

Hi rosiemus
I have spent a bit of time in New York. The best times I had there was '95, '97 that sort of time - same as the book I suppose - and I too wanted to live there.

tigerticker Tue 19-Jul-11 19:47:05

What authors inspired you? Do you think you write like anyone else (if that's not too rude a thing to say)? Is there anyone you would really like to write like? If you could have written one other book, apart from your own, what would it be?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:46:05

northerngran

Hi Sarah

To me the sign of a good books is one that leaves you wanting more. And with this one I wanted more! I was dying to know what happened to Elly after that. Were you ever tempted to carry the story on a bit longer?

Hi northerngran
No I wasn't really. I felt their story had been told. I had left them all in a perfect position to start life again...

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:44:20

greatgablegran

Hi Sarah,

There are a lot of real-life events in the book - it seems very crowded with incident, what with the real-world events and all the turbulent things that happen to the family. Why did you decide to anchor the book against events like 9/11 and the Brixton riots?

Hi greatgablegran
I actually wanted the background of the book to be violence - it starts in 1968, highlighted by 3 events, then a sudden accident to Elly's grandparents, different abuse, John Lennon's death, Princess Di's, the Irish bombing campaign, Brixton and finally 9/11. In this way, contrasted with the love and gentleness of the family, we see the senselessness of violence - how it always exists in the background, but achieves very little as the love rolls on.

Harry123 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:42:39

I particularly liked Joe, who reminded me of my grandson, who also used to like dressing up in his mum's clothes (but unlike Joe is a very good dancer!)

I seem to be the only man on here again...this happened in the last books webchat! Where are Pompa etc - the inhabitants of the shed - when you need them?

Anyway, Sarah, I also liked the setting of the early part in Redbridge, because I grew up there too. Didn't know any barristers, though - that was a bit posh for Redbridge, where most people in my day were taxi drivers or shopkeepers or electricians. I was curious to know whether you knew any barristers or whether that was artistic licence?

rosiemus Tue 19-Jul-11 19:41:59

Hello Sarah and welcome to gransnet.

I am a big fan of Ian McKellen but I am not sure he is 'cuddly' enough for Arthur!

Just wondered whether you have spent much time in New York? Really enjoyed the bits set there

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:39:03

getmehrt

The book is in two parts, really - when the main characters are children and when they're adults. I wondered why you wanted to structure it like this?

Hi getmehrt
I wanted to see the consequence of childhood secrets in adulthood, really. I wanted to show how these wonderful small people turned out; to show them away from the magical protective bubble of childhood, when the coat of innocence has been shed.

northerngran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:36:44

PS - oops meant to say that I really enjoyed it and like others on here, particularly loved Arthur

northerngran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:35:51

Hi Sarah

To me the sign of a good books is one that leaves you wanting more. And with this one I wanted more! I was dying to know what happened to Elly after that. Were you ever tempted to carry the story on a bit longer?

greatgablegran Tue 19-Jul-11 19:35:43

Hi Sarah,

There are a lot of real-life events in the book - it seems very crowded with incident, what with the real-world events and all the turbulent things that happen to the family. Why did you decide to anchor the book against events like 9/11 and the Brixton riots?

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:34:02

GeraldineGransnet

I had another question...a couple of people on this forum have suggested earlier that Arthur should be played by Simon Callow. I wondered if that fitted your picture of him too?

Hi Geraldine
Mmmm. I actually think he's too young. I would have said Ian McKellen.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:32:32

putaspellonyou

Do you ever have days when you just don't feel like writing? What makes you sit down at your computer (or your notebook or whatever?!)

Hello putaspellonyou
Yes of course! There are days when writing feels like a job and you don't want to go to work. However, you need to get the story to a place where you just can't leave it - where you are so in love with it that there will always be a moment of intrigue to guide you through the negative voices.

SarahWinman Tue 19-Jul-11 19:29:38

tigerticker

Hi Sarah,

There have been several posts on Gransnet about whether you should persist with a book you've started - and I wondered what you as a writer thought about that? Do you feel once you've started a book you owe it to the author to finish it? Or are you not bothered about abandoning books half way through?

Hi tigerticker
I think it's lovely to think about the author that way - about the work they've put into a book - but also, life's too short! If you don't like something, then leave it - at least you tried - go find something that inspires, makes you feel passionate or angry. However, don't give up too early. Sometimes plots and characters take a while to embrace.

getmehrt Tue 19-Jul-11 19:26:49

The book is in two parts, really - when the main characters are children and when they're adults. I wondered why you wanted to structure it like this?