Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Granny Weatherwax or Nanny Ogg?

(7 Posts)
JessM Sat 02-Jul-11 17:40:23

Now here are two fantastic role models for us all. And to think I shunned Terry Pratchett all those years, thinking he was just for boys.
But who do you identify with?
Weatherwax - wise, introverted, able to enter her spirit into the body of an animal, someone who wants to influence the course of events. Probably only an honorary Granny.
Or Ogg - mother, brilliant midwife, bit of a disgraceful old baggage. In the one I am reading at the moment she has just written a book about rude looking food and is being ripped off by the publisher (Masquerade ? sp).
(At the other end of the age scale Tiffany Aching (is that right sp) is a brave heroine, up there with my beloved Lyra. Tight call between Northern Lights and A Hatful of Sky (plus the others in the series).
I am very taken with the werewolf who is also a female police officer as well.)
I have to say, having hummed and ha-ed I identify more with Weatherwax.

jangly Sun 03-Jul-11 14:47:56

Its difficult isn't it. I'm not wise, perhaps a bit introverted, can't do the spirit thing sad, would love to influence course of events. (control freak).
Am a mother, never tried my hand at midwifery (phew!), wouldn't mind being disgraceful, would love to be a baggage, old - no comment.
So, mixture of both I suppose.
I couldn't get on with the Northern Lights books. Not read Terry Pratchett or Hatful of sky.

jangly Sun 03-Jul-11 14:48:22

At least you've got a reply now. smile

JessM Sun 03-Jul-11 14:58:45

Worth a try Jangly. You have to have a certain tolerance of parallel universes though.
All the ones with witches in are funny.

Dordor Sun 03-Jul-11 19:03:06

I really aspire to be Granny Weatherwax, but think I'm actually a Nanny Ogg. I've just re-read Carpe Jugulum which is one of the best witch stories. Love Regiment of Women too. I have all TPs books, some of them twice (by accident). They are so very satisfying to read on so many levels, not least becasue they make me laugh out loud. Or snortle, in truth, which is why I believe I'm more of a Gytha Ogg.

baggythecrust! Sun 03-Jul-11 21:29:40

May I diverge to another pair of grannies? Sorry, but I don't know Weatherwax and Ogg. Does anyone else know and love Mairi Hedderwick's Katie Morag stories set on a small Scottish island? There is Granny Island who lives on the island and Granny Mainland. I identify with Granny Island because she goes around in dungarees and wellies and drives a tractor

JessM Mon 04-Jul-11 08:20:39

Its true Dordor, Weatherwax a sense of humour free zone. Those books are 2 of the best - though it is hard to pick. Pratchett is a national treasure without a doubt.