Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Hope springs eternal

(5 Posts)
bagitha Fri 28-Oct-11 09:29:01

New book by Stephen Pinker, The Better Angels of Our Nature, according to reviewer Ben Felsenburg, "brims over with an iconoclastic, reasoned optimism". I haven't read it yet (just seen the review) but I shall. It sounds like my kind of book.

Can anyone recommend other 'hopeful' books?

susiecb Fri 28-Oct-11 10:25:12

I've just finished Mr Roseblums list by Natasha Solomons about a post war Jewish refugee who decides to build a golf course when he is refused entry to existing one. Its not a golf book but a tale of a middle aged couple and the relationships they build in Dorset with the countryside and the people. A lovely tale.

Also try Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - a lovely tale of middle to late aged love - not sloppy again a golf club features but not about golf.

bagitha Fri 28-Oct-11 10:30:23

Seems Felsenburg spelt Pinker's first name wrong. It is Steven with a 'v' on the book cover. You'd think editors could check. confused

bagitha Fri 28-Oct-11 10:34:12

Thanks for those other recommendations, susie. I've read Major Pettigrew and thoroughly enjoyed it and will look for the Rosenblum.

Elegran Fri 28-Oct-11 11:18:19

Baggy, try "Life and Limb" by Jamie Andrew, who survived 5 days in a tent on a snowy mountain in a storm, where his best friend and climbing companion died. Afterwards he himself had to have both hands and feet amputated. He wrung hope and success from that scenario, climbs again, and now inspires others not to give up.