Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Amazon Kindle Daily Deal

(51 Posts)
Libradi Mon 12-Dec-11 08:11:53

Each day we will unveil one book in the Kindle Daily Deal at a specially discounted price--for that day only. Deals go live at midnight and ends 23:59 the same day. The Kindle Daily Deal discount shown is the saving from the previous day's Kindle Price.

Not sure how long the offer will go on for but worth a look each day.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_161849367_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=1SPQV5Q751D0A70T84A8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=264643347&pf_rd_i=341677031

Ganja Fri 06-Jan-12 23:28:57

Message for all you Michael Connolly fans. the Book People are doing 10 for £9.99. good news or what.smile

lillian Tue 10-Jan-12 16:22:13

i had a wonderful surprise at xmas my daughter and my son-in-law bought me a kindle i was over the moon.my daughter set it up on there wi fi system and i downloaded five free books they live up country but when i came home which is on the south coast the wi fi wouldn't connect.horror i couldn't get more books.i decided to download using USB and got in such a mess i lost all my books and my dictionaries.i keep trying to follow the trouble shooting instructions but still haven't got it right.i live alone my freinds have no idea what i'm talking about.very frustrated and dissapointed if only there were people for us older generation to turn for help.

Annobel Tue 10-Jan-12 16:38:43

Sorry I can't be of much help at this distance, lillian. I doubt if your books are entirely lost. Can you still switch the kindle on? Go to 'home' and see if you have any archived items. They might be there somehow or other. On the other hand, there may be something wrong with your device. If it came from Amazon, it would be advisable to phone them and tell them about your problem. They were very nice about mine when it wouldn't work and they send me another pronto.

Elegran Tue 10-Jan-12 17:15:13

Lilian If you go to your Amazon account at Amazon and from there to the Kindle Store and then to "manage your Kindle" a copy of your books should still be there and you can download them again to your Kindle.

If it will not do any wi-fi-ing at all, maybe it thinks you are still at your daughters and is looking for their wi-fi - you do have to tell it which wi-fi connection to use.

Do you have any wi-fi at your house? If not, try taking it to your nearest public library, they probably have a connection you can use, and they might be able to sort it all out for you too. Tell them you got it for Christmas and throw yourself on their mercy.

Most of them do courses for beginners at computers, so they are used to untangling stuff and explaining things.

Acheron Thu 26-Jan-12 18:30:27

I don't know about the daily deal but I did just get Ethan Frome for free. I know it's only a very short story but I wanted to read it and couldn't believe it was actually free.

eGJ Wed 07-Mar-12 14:55:37

Edward Thomas on the Daily Deal today,"Now all roads lead to France" and The collected poems flowers to GNetters whov've alerted me to this must look at site!

Stansgran Wed 07-Mar-12 21:02:45

downloaded it earlier on today-looking forward to it

Ganja Fri 09-Mar-12 07:18:24

Me too, and the poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins. Fantastic. A nice change after all the thrillers and chicklit! It really is a wonderful pick and mix, and I do enjoy opening it each morning, or last thing at night if I am up late, though I do wait till next morning to read the sample chapter.sunshine

Libradi Sun 18-Mar-12 08:41:32

Thought this Kindle Daily Deal looked interesting for 99p
www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Any-Mother-Help-ebook/dp/B005G21COA/ref=kdd_page_title?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H79SRZRAJFT3X1PJ9ST&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=285906087&pf_rd_i=1000577623

''In 1935, a young woman wrote a letter to Nursery World magazine, expressing her feelings of isolation and loneliness. Women from all over the country experiencing similar frustrations wrote back. To create an outlet for their abundant ideas and opinions they started a private magazine, The Cooperative Correspondence Club. The deep friendships formed through its pages ensured the magazine continued until 1990, fifty-five years after the first issue was put together.''

Carol Sun 18-Mar-12 08:47:11

I like the look of this one! Thanks Libradi

Libradi Sun 18-Mar-12 17:23:30

You're welcome Carol, it was after I'd bought and downloaded it that I stepped on my Kindle sad

yogagran Sun 18-Mar-12 19:55:20

Thanks Libradi just downloaded it. It's been on my wish list for a few weeks and I have nearly finished my current Kindle book so the timing could not have been better

glassortwo Sun 18-Mar-12 20:33:46

Thanks libradi I have downloaded it.

em Mon 19-Mar-12 00:16:57

Thanks for that one. Downloaded it and read intro. Some of the ideas seem spookily familiar. I look forward to hearing what other GNetters think of it. Will just read a bit more now!

Mishap Mon 19-Mar-12 18:55:57

I downloaded it too - and I am finding it fascinating. The set-up is basically like a hard copy forum which the ladies sent around by post in the 30s and 40s. It is so like Gransnet/Mumsnet etc. without the convenience and speed of the internet.
I have been riveted to the tales of managing without modern conveniences, and the obstetric tales are quite horrifying! Some of the women are not at all well-off (one lady with 5 children and virtually no electricity) but others talk about their cooks and maids. The parts during the war are quite distressing.
And the case of polio and talk of measles epidemics reinforces how lucky we are now.
The situation of educated women who has to leave their jobs when they married is interesting.
It is particularly moving as these are written, not by authors or historians, but by ordinary women talking about their lives as they unfold - and offering support to each other when needed.
I am very glad that I did not have my babies then!

Libradi Tue 20-Mar-12 11:49:54

I see its back up to £5.38 now on Kindle, the Daily Deals are really good if its something that takes your fancy smile I just need to remember to check them every day.

yogagran Fri 30-Mar-12 23:23:26

Amazon have got a Kindle Spring Sale, could be worth a look:

www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sv_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&node=341689031

lillian Thu 13-Sep-12 17:52:12

As a great fan of the Kindle i must reccomend anyone interested in books written by travellers i have downloaded some from the free EreaderIQ website the one i am reading at the moment is so interesting written by Ali Lamond called "Mid life crisis in Majorca " it is a factual book and should interest most women of a certain age......also "Watering the olives" by William Gorden the peoples experiences are very human and funny and we can all relate to there problems if we have ever visited a foreign country...."A little place in France" by Barbara Hammond and "The Golden book of Venice" by Lawrence Turnbull just a small smple and there are many many more some written by brave ladies who travelled through Europe in the 1900s which was quite an ordeal for the (supposedly weaker sex)..lillian

lillian Wed 09-Jan-13 15:05:01

thanks elegram i took your advice and my Kindle is all sorted out i have lots of great free books to read now, i use the free IQ ereader free books site and Amazon, but can anyone suggest other GOOD free book sites........Lillian

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 15:23:45

lilian There is always project Gutenburg but most of their books are ones that are out of copyright and have been digitised, so not exactly the latest bestsellers. Very good for browsing around in for unusual books and forgotten authors though. Look for the "Free Kindle books" section.

lucid Wed 30-Jan-13 10:27:38

I've just purchased a Kindle edition of Life of Pi for 20p from the Amazon Kindle store. Am now looking forward to reading it. smile

j07 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:29:32

Oh dear. Another book on my waiting list. Can't miss that bargain though can I? smile

Ylil Thu 31-Jan-13 10:13:04

The 100 year old man as also .20p recently, a good read, might be worth looking see if its still that price.

sunflowersuffolk Thu 07-Feb-13 21:35:22

Just read The Silver Mist by Martin Treanor Free on Kindle at the moment. Really recommended.

It's about Eve, a young Irish girl with Downs syndrome, and her family, living in Northern Ireland at the time of Bloody Friday - a very unusual and beautifully written book.

Ylil Fri 08-Feb-13 07:51:59

Thanks, I've just downloaded Silver Mist.