Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Fear Index by Robert Harris

(5 Posts)
MrsJamJam Wed 18-Jan-12 15:18:35

Just finished reading this and am trying to decide whether I should worry that it might be possible, or whether I'll just stick my head in the sand, pretend that the big wide world is a long way from here, and go back to watching the chickens pottering around without a care in the world.

Would recommend it as a very clever and subtle thriller which might be very close to home.

eGJ Tue 24-Jan-12 10:07:43

Read it on my kindle; a little worrying yes, but I've persuaded myself it's just fiction Mrs JamJam!

GoldenGran Tue 24-Jan-12 11:02:48

Haven't read it yet,sounds intriguing. Have finished Why Be Happy When You could Be Normal, by Jeanette Winterson. She did a fictional version of her life Oranges Are Not The only Fruit, and a lot of her autobiography contains the same stuff. For me the most moving and interesting part is the second half when she faces her demons, comes to terms(a bit) with her awful childhood and looks for her birth mother.An amazing story and an extraordinary woman, I recommend it.

MrsJamJam Tue 24-Jan-12 12:47:06

GG, they did some of the Jeanette Winterson book on radio 4 recently and I enjoyed it, but I did wonder how much was just a re-hash of 'Oranges ....' . I might look for it in our mobile library, then it won't cost me anything if I give up on it!

eGJ Tue 24-Jan-12 12:50:40

Good move Mrs JamJam, here reservations are free, so I always read the reviews on a Sturday and request them right away! Usually gallop through Robert Harris, so didn't wait and bought it for my kindle. Have requested the Jeanette Winterton on your recommendation GoldenGran!