Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Other uses for Kindle?

(21 Posts)
Yummygran Fri 20-Jul-12 14:26:22

I've got a kindle I hardly use, but would love to know how to download music to it, and I didn't know that my kindle has an 'address'......can anyone tell me how to find out what it is etc?

Elegran Fri 20-Jul-12 11:52:01

Have you tried Project Gutenburg? Mostly out-of-copyright books, classics etc but a lot of unusual titles you might never have come across anywhere else.

You can download their "magic catalogue" of Kindle format books and then get books directly (free) to your Kindle.

The application "Calibre" (that is not from Gutenburg but if you google it you will find it online) it will translate e-books from just about any format to just about any other, so you are not restricted to getting just Kindle-friendly ones, wherever you get them from.

lillian Fri 20-Jul-12 11:12:38

can anyone reccomend good web sites to download free books on to my kindle apart from amazon which of course i have already....i have tried a few but am interested in trying others to find the best selection of books.

JessM Sun 01-Apr-12 10:59:18

Mine came in very useful earlier as something to press on while filling in landing card on plane.

Lizzylou Sat 31-Mar-12 20:41:01

I download music to my Kindle.

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 12:28:17

The pigeons are cheekiest. They can hardly claim to be connoisseurs of music ( rrooooo cooooooo coo coo ..... etc)

syberia Fri 24-Feb-12 12:25:59

grin

gracesmum Fri 24-Feb-12 12:24:07

Maybe your choice of music was wrong?

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 12:12:40

They did not scare the birds in my garden. Cheeky *s

gracesmum Fri 24-Feb-12 12:02:50

Aaaaaah I did wonder.......grin Still it's worth considering, after all old CDs are supposed to be great as bird scarers.

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 12:01:24

I did really mean applications.

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 12:00:38

Too shiny for a mouse mat.

Bit big for a coaster, maybe a teapot stand?

gracesmum Fri 24-Feb-12 11:57:34

Mouse mat!

MrsJamJam Fri 24-Feb-12 11:55:29

Don't swat the flies too hard, you might break the kindle!

gracesmum Fri 24-Feb-12 11:52:22

Place mat, coaster, fly swatter.....Oh, you didn't mean that grin

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 11:48:04

You can send recipes to it, FlicketyB , if you attach them as a file to an email sent to whatever your Kindle email address is, with "convert" as the subject of the email, to convert it to Kindle format.

If you use [email protected] it is free. It downloads the attachment (not the email it is attached to) when you connect to wifi.

Ariadne Fri 24-Feb-12 09:01:11

You can send documents to your Kindle mail address, which means you can read them on the train, for example. I can see how useful this would have been when I was a commuter!

FlicketyB Fri 24-Feb-12 00:26:36

I am with Elegran. I am not too bothered about photographs but one of my first questions when I got it was ; can I download my recipes on it and can I make lists?

Elegran Thu 23-Feb-12 12:28:59

Amazon don't want us to swap books with each other for nothing - they would rather we encourage our friends to buy another copy - more profitable.

If we had bought a paperback we could have passed it on to a someone else.

Stansgran Thu 23-Feb-12 12:23:23

I would love to swap or send books I have read-at the moment I think I can but it seems too complicated-still trying to programme a new radio bought last year

Elegran Thu 23-Feb-12 12:17:28

Apart from reading books, what would you like to do with your Kindle?

If it were available I might go for an application that downloads recipes and the shopping lists to go with them, and gives me a chance to save recipes to it from my PC.

Or one for sharing photographs with family.