Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Tolkien

(12 Posts)
Lizzylou Sat 31-Mar-12 20:38:55

I am a Tolkien fanatic, are there any like minded people here?

absentgrana Sat 31-Mar-12 22:05:26

I quite like Tolkein but am not a fanatic. I found the films tedious, but you can't blame a dead author for that.

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 31-Mar-12 22:13:39

I liked The Hobbitt. (fell in love with Glorfindel blush Didn't get far with Lord of the Rings though. Perhaps I'll try again.

glassortwo Sat 31-Mar-12 22:17:46

jingle where have you been!!!! I loved The Hobbit. Did not enjoy Lord of the Rings.

tanith Sat 31-Mar-12 22:19:48

I love the Hobbit too but found Lord of the Rings hard going.. I've been meaning to give it another go.

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 31-Mar-12 22:23:52

I haven't been anywhere Glass. I've been here. smile

You have a nice trip next week. sunshine (I hope)

glassortwo Sat 31-Mar-12 22:27:50

Thanks jingle I am looking forward to it! I have just not seen much of you the last couple of days. smile

Mishap Sat 31-Mar-12 22:44:49

Oh gosh - I think I am alone in this, but I really do not like Tolkein - my children have loved his stories, but it never did anything for me I am afraid - am I alone in this?

Elegran Sat 31-Mar-12 22:52:41

You are not alone. I managed to get through "The Hobbit", but "The Lord of the Rings" left me cold.

Annobel Sat 31-Mar-12 23:11:17

I've read the whole lot twice and enjoyed them but not sure I would now. DS2 read the trilogy when he was 7 and after that he read nothing but cricket magazines for the next ten years!

absentgrana Sat 31-Mar-12 23:13:54

When Tolkein, C. S. Lewis (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Perelandara, etc.) and a third English professor at Oxford whose name I can't remember used to meet to discuss their fictional work in progress, C. S. Lewis was known to say to Tolkein, "Not more f*****g elves!" You are definitely not alone Mishap and Elegran

JessM Sun 01-Apr-12 10:57:47

I agree L of Rs needs some serious editing. had to go for a little walk around the foyer in one of the films - the one with the hours of orc wars. The beginning and the end are best.
The Hobbit hangs together as a single work of art - so why is it being made into two films? It is, though, a world as relentlessly male as an Oxford college was in those days. Quel coincidence.