Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books for GD aged 9

(13 Posts)
MrsJamJam Tue 17-Apr-12 19:33:59

My darling GD has fallen off a swing and broken her arm (two months after breaking her wrist!). As I live 200 miles away, can't offer much practical support, but as she is an avid bookworm, would like to send an amazon parcel to cheer her up. All suggestions welcome!

Need to include something for her brother (5), quite a precocious reader, so that he doesn't feel that big sister gets all the attention.

Anne58 Tue 17-Apr-12 19:41:01

Terry Pratchett, Truckers, Diggers and Wings (3 separate books) in fact most of the "young" i.e. not Discworld) Terry Pratchett, Johnny & The Bomb, Only You Can Save The World, etc.

Or perhaps the complete series of CS Lewis, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe?

Carol Tue 17-Apr-12 19:41:40

Oh dear! Hope she soon recovers. The Mr Gum series of books is enjoyable and very funny and suits her age range. My grandson loved me to read them to him, so we could laugh together, but she'd be fine reading them herself, too.

For her young brother, how about Horrid Henry, WhataMess, or Burglar Bill - all books he can try to read himself, share with his big sister, she could read with him, or mum read to both of them - good fun!

eGJ Tue 17-Apr-12 19:51:38

Maybe some audio books in case she doesn't feel up to reading or turning the pages is difficult. Any of the suggestions of books would do. Hope she isn't in plaster for too long Mrs JamJam

nanaej Tue 17-Apr-12 20:25:30

Oh dear poor thing!

Michael Morpurgo is a great writer and does write for different ages so he is worth a look. 'Charlottes Web' is a good read as well as books by Philippa Pearce e.g. A Dog So Small

Does your grandson like Horrid Henry stories, they are popular? Or maybe Roald Dahls 'The Hungry Crocodile' would be good for him. hope this helps!

granbunny Tue 17-Apr-12 20:55:56

anything by margaret mahy. dick king smith was popular with daughter when she was small.

Tosh Tue 17-Apr-12 21:00:28

My 9 yr old GD loves Michael Morpurgo books.
I hope your GD recovers soon. xxx

Mishap Tue 17-Apr-12 22:14:11

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - there is a wonderful version with illustrations by Shirley Hughes.

granbunny Tue 17-Apr-12 22:18:40

has it been doctored for all the 'sons of dogs' bits?

JessM Tue 17-Apr-12 22:59:58

The Terry Pratchett series about Tiffany Aching, the young witch is completely brilliant. You do need to read the Wee Free Men first and then the trilogy Hat Full of Sky, The Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight. Or you could, if young, start with Hat.
Jess gets down on knees and genuflects in the direction of Saint Terry at this point.
The Phillip Pullman trilogy, if she has not read them - Northern Lights first.

JessM Wed 18-Apr-12 02:07:59

For a DVD I would recommend Holes. GD 7 has watched it several times this week. Great american kids movie about boys in a detention camp in the desert. (PG, mild violence as they say) John Voigt, Sigourney Weaver and a great bunch of teenagers.
DS 4 thought it looked like "a really cool boy prison", because of all the digging in the dirt !!!!! One of the great kids movies of all time.

MrsJamJam Wed 18-Apr-12 11:50:36

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll check with her dad as I know she has already read quite a lot of Terry Pratchett. I'll look at filling up the parcel with a story CD and a DVD as well. Amazon profits will rise!

Mamie Wed 18-Apr-12 12:45:46

My nine year old GD loves Clarice Bean by Lauren Child.