Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Live webchat with best selling author Jane Green - Mon 2 July 1.30-2.30pm

(87 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jun-12 14:23:13

With sales of over 10 million books under her belt, Jane's career has gone from strength to strength since her first novel "Straight Talking: in 1996. Every book since has gone straight into the bestseller lists - and along with Helen Fielding she has been credited with founding the genre of 'chick lit'.

Jane's new book The Patchwork Marriage is out this week and explores modern family life, questioning whether love and devotion really are enough to create a happy family. Now in her 40s Jane, originally from the UK, lives in America - but is coming in to GNHQ to answer your questions. She will also be picking her favourite from the thread and the winner will get a signed copy of her book.

kittyp Tue 26-Jun-12 15:13:34

Hello Jane - My daughter is a big fan and I must confess that I pinch borrow all her copies and enjoy them very much. It seems to me that what you write about has changed a lot over the years. Does that reflect the changes in your own life?

chicky Tue 26-Jun-12 15:20:44

Is it true you have six children? How do you find time to write? And do you write about them?

katykat Tue 26-Jun-12 16:10:25

How did you end up in America? Your earlier books are very UK centric so has the move meant you have had to change the way you write?

rosiemus Tue 26-Jun-12 18:44:49

In one of your books - The Beach House I think but I may be wrong - there was a three generation family and the grandmother came across rather negatively. Is that based on any personal experience? What was (is?) your relationship with your grandparents like?

nanamarion Wed 27-Jun-12 15:11:05

Is your life as a writer very different in America from how it was in England? I imagine it to be more glamorous and filled with celebrities

clarice Wed 27-Jun-12 15:13:49

Yes nanamarion - me too! Especially if you have sold 10 million copies!!

Actually I wasn't going to ask a question but I will if that's ok? What do you think is the secret of your success?

charlottel Wed 27-Jun-12 16:40:41

Hello Jane - I have seen from the blurb in your books that you have a 'blended' family and would love to know more about it - and also any advice you can offer to others who may find themselves in this position. My DD is about to set up home with her new partner and the children from both marriages and it would be lovely to have some positive and constructive advice I could offer

CinnamonStix Thu 28-Jun-12 10:02:52

Hello Jane! My Q is: Do you ever get writers block? And what do you do to try and combat it?

chazmax Thu 28-Jun-12 10:37:25

Hi there Jane,

Great to be able to 'chat' with you like this!
Can I ask what your top three priorities are in life?

thanksx

kacey Thu 28-Jun-12 11:27:40

I read somewhere that you do a lot for charity. Which ones do you support - and what made you feel it is important to put something back? Just downloaded your new book on my kindle for my holiday and looking forward to tucking in

clairew Thu 28-Jun-12 11:28:28

Have any films been made of your books?

clairew Thu 28-Jun-12 11:30:24

sorry - can I also ask what books you like reading?

KatieFerrell Thu 28-Jun-12 14:58:42

Hi Jane!
Where do you get your inspiration for stories? Do you draw from real life experience or simply from your imagination? You're one of the rare authors who can bring me into the story in no matter the plot/characters. From Mr. Maybe to the Beach House I love that I feel I can connect and relate to the story despite not having much in common in my real life.
Thanks for helping me escape into the wonderful world of your characters!

redamanthas Fri 29-Jun-12 11:46:25

Do you feel that it is ever too late to start writing? And is it important to get your work seen and accepted by an agent rather than contacting publishers directly? How did you begin to approach for publication when you started and has it change?

glammanana Fri 29-Jun-12 12:16:54

Hi Jane, I love reading your books they always seem to have some experience that I have come across in my lifetime I find them so enjoyable,what career path would you have taken if you did not write these fab books,and at 60+ am I too old to consider putting pen to paper ??

flowerfriend Fri 29-Jun-12 12:40:58

DiL introduced me to your books. I am 65 she is 36. We both enjoy your books enormously. Now my closest two friends enjoy them too because of my recommendations. They are 59 and 63. So I am guessing that your books appeal to a wide age range. Did you have an idea of an age group for whom you wanted to write when you started and has that changed?

newt148 Fri 29-Jun-12 13:46:04

When writing and the subject grinds to a halt what advice to restart or enliven the either the character or the topic? and does this happen or is it just me.....
many thanks sue (smile)

mtp123 Sat 30-Jun-12 11:29:33

Do you have a favourite Author if so whom?

JaneGreen Mon 02-Jul-12 13:05:50

nanamarion

Is your life as a writer very different in America from how it was in England? I imagine it to be more glamorous and filled with celebrities

testing

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Jul-12 13:27:04

We're delighted that Jane is with us and she's ready to go, so we'll get started....

JaneGreen Mon 02-Jul-12 13:27:12

kittyp

Hello Jane - My daughter is a big fan and I must confess that I pinch borrow all her copies and enjoy them very much. It seems to me that what you write about has changed a lot over the years. Does that reflect the changes in your own life?

Absolutely! The books have very much charted the course of my life, while never being about my life completely. You can almost follow my journey from single girl, through marriage, children, divorce, etc etc...

JaneGreen Mon 02-Jul-12 13:28:11

chicky

Is it true you have six children? How do you find time to write? And do you write about them?

Four are mine, two my husband's - we are the Brady Bunch. Except when we're all shouting. I'm very disciplined about writing - I write every day, as a job, and take my computer to a writer's room as soon as the children leave for school.

JaneGreen Mon 02-Jul-12 13:29:06

katykat

How did you end up in America? Your earlier books are very UK centric so has the move meant you have had to change the way you write?

I definitely had to change, but it was gradual. At first I did half and half, finally feeling confident enough to do a full American book with The Beach House. I think I need to bring more British characters in for the future...

fridaygran Mon 02-Jul-12 13:29:20

Hello Jane, it's lovely to have you on Gransnet. I love your books and I wanted to ask whether you plot meticulously before you start or whether you work out the story as you go along?