Books/book club

trilogys

(22 Posts)
Annobel Tue 10-Jul-12 15:23:00

Yeah, right! grin

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 15:07:43

Perhaps he was hoping against hope that they'd improve.....hmm

Annobel Tue 10-Jul-12 15:02:56

My DS1 says he has read all the Shades of Grey! And I always thought he had good taste. Mind you, he says it's rubbish, but you'd think he wouldn't have to read the whole lot to find that out. I'm so ashamed of him - thought I'd been a better example. blush

YellowRose Tue 10-Jul-12 14:38:59

Hunger Games trilogy is £2.50 on Kindle ;o)

ummlilia Sat 07-Jul-12 12:29:44

I enjoyed 'The Cairo Trilogy' by Naguib Mahfouz..a sweeping family saga ..comprising 'Palace Walk', Palace of Desire' and 'Sugar Street'

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 22:05:41

No, there are lots of Dunes, but I possibly stopped after the third one!

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 22:02:38

Oh, Clayhanger was a trilogy as well, I think,and possibly The Country Girls?

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 22:01:31

I can't wait to read The Hunger Games; I saw the film last week and it's my 'film of the year' thus far. Was Dune a trilogy? One of the few sci fi books that I have ever been able to read.

goldengirl Fri 06-Jul-12 21:56:40

The Hunger Games is the first of a trilogy I believe and so is Umpteen Shades of Grey [or whatever it's called] - my son's partner has just lent it to me! Watch out DH grin

Jacey Fri 06-Jul-12 20:28:17

I loved the Dark Materials too ...now have it on audio ...listen to it whilst driving or crafting or just relaxing in the sunshine {fat chance this year}

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 19:41:39

The first Swedish film of The Girl..was brilliant, but the second and third were rather disappointing.For that reason I went to see the American version knowing that I wanted to see their take on the second and third books, and I did enjoy it. However Noomi, who plays Lisbeth in the Swedish films is in the new Batman film so that should be interesting.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 06-Jul-12 15:33:42

I'm with Ariadne and JessM - His Dark Materials. Completely absorbing.

eGJ Fri 06-Jul-12 14:25:40

Have you tried the trilogy by Jon Stock. The first one was Dead Spy Running, the second Games Traitors Play and the third only came out yesterday!! Dirty Little Secret. Only just begun the third, but the other two are page turners. I need to know how the plot concludes and who is left standing!!
The first one is being made into a film in Hollywood. The first starts in the London Marathon and after that the "spy" keeps running. Well worth the read. btw have you looked at the website www.fantasticfiction.co.uk it has so many authors and synopses and orders of sequels?

absentgrana Fri 06-Jul-12 14:05:22

tanith The original Swedish films seemed to me to remain very close to the mood and core of the books. I haven't seen the American ones and have my suspicions that I won't particularly enjoy them.

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 13:26:33

Gormenghast [sp?].

Ariadne Fri 06-Jul-12 13:20:48

Loved, loved the "Dark Materials". I always used to say to my students "Tell me what you're reading." one day a Y9 boy came up to me and said "You've got to read this, Miss."

So I felt duty bound to do so, and it was the first in the trilogy. Couldn't put it down!

tanith Fri 06-Jul-12 13:17:27

If you go to Amazon book you can browse or search easily to find titles.. loved that series of books.. has anyone seen the films? I just wonder if they are worth seeing..

JessM Fri 06-Jul-12 13:16:43

Other great trilogies? Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. A Suitable Boy - or is it just one long book?

Notsogrand Fri 06-Jul-12 12:44:27

Excellent series. smile

jcrystal Fri 06-Jul-12 12:42:19

ah yes i thank you thats it

crimson Fri 06-Jul-12 12:39:32

The girl who kicked the hornets nest [I think]

jcrystal Fri 06-Jul-12 12:36:03

i have been reading first the girl with the dragon tattoo and now reading the second the girl who played with fire but i wonder if anyone knows the title of the third one .Sometimes iv read a book to find annoyingly its a part of a series and then had to find the others