Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Chavs: the demonization of the working class

(56 Posts)
grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 13:55:04

nightowl and petallus and anyone else interested - don't know if this should be on book forum or politics but if anyone reads, has read, the book by Owen Jones (ISBN-13:978-1-84467-696-5) I would love to hear your opinions. I'll need to re-read it now.

JO4 Sun 12-Aug-12 09:34:45

The book, BTW, sounds like a very worthy read. hmm

JO4 Sun 12-Aug-12 09:32:28

[girls] grin

JO4 Sun 12-Aug-12 09:31:52

grin grin grin

I like these kind of diversions. grin

Claws to the front girls. [girls]

Joan Sat 11-Aug-12 23:21:56

Anagram I absolutely love that Jim hacker quote! I do agree about press manipulation. When I worked for Social Security back in the early 70s in Yorkshre I volunteered to go to Wath on Dearne to be part of the team that paid benefits to any needy families of striking miners. I saw the miners' recent payslips all day - one about every 10 minutes so i knew exactly what sort of pay they were getting. Then a tabloid - can't remember which - Sun or Mirror or something - ran a front page article decrying the strike because they earned - well, the quoted figure was half as much again as they actually earned.

I was so appalled that I went to their union rep and asked what was going on. He said look in page 6 tomorrow. Sure enough there was a retraction showing the true figure, so small and hidden I could hardly find it. even knowing it was there.

The miners lost in the end.

I have mistrusted the right wing press, well, all the press, ever since.

Back to the thread title - looks interesting - think I'll order it for my kindle.

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 22:57:54

THe beauty of my humour is that I am funny , and not at all unkind , because I have no hang ups smile

grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 22:55:14

I told you my humour gets me into trouble - it's not often funny.

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 22:53:02

grrrrany , you are a fine one to talk Tell it like it is sweetpea

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 22:48:45

xxx to you gals

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 22:42:06

Agree with you, grrranny. This is not conforming to the etiquette as far as I can tell nor is it the way we normally talk to one another on these forums.

whenim64 Sat 11-Aug-12 22:41:46

Personal attacks are unwarranted. Please let's keep to the etiquette of the forum smile

grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 22:40:51

Nonu were you being funny then because I thought you were being nasty - to whoever. I often forget that people don't get my humour when I post and constantly get into trouble. Was that the case with your post?

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 22:35:02

For Jeni sorry , I didn"t say say in previous post x

grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 22:34:19

Nonu what was that about? Yes we crossed topics a bit but that does happen from time to time. Do not think that the tone of your post was conforming to the ettiquette or have I misunderstood you.

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 22:28:52

Message deleted by Gransnet.

nanaej Sat 11-Aug-12 21:30:47

Absolutly right grrranny.. class pervades all aspects of society in all sorts of ways..often quite subtly too!

grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 21:12:16

Jamaica just won mens 4x4 - shush jeni about the chapter meeting in case we are being tracked in some way but yes - scarf is purple, green and white - march march - I am a wee bit surprised that no one else has read the book - I would urge people to do so even if they don't agree with the politics as it will be interesting (not being callous here) to see how the media report Tia's death and the book was most illuminating about the way these tragedies are perceived depending upon the class (no apology for using the word) of the victim, perpetrator, family and wider community.

jeni Sat 11-Aug-12 20:55:38

Ooer midlands chapter of Hells grannies! Purple white and green!

March march swing ye along!(suffragettes, that's us!)

I've got a purple fascinator!

I wonder if the railway police know we're converging on Birmingham ?

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 20:55:27

it isn't available on Kindle, so not for immediate reading!

Anagram Sat 11-Aug-12 20:52:00

grrranny, sorry we've got a bit off-track, but no one but you has actually read the book yet! grin

grrrranny Sat 11-Aug-12 20:41:28

Err - uhm - so what do people think of the book? Went out, spent too much, bought leather jacket (well I really liked it), a tartan grip, and a scarf in MIdlands GN chaper colours, came home, had wine then microwaved yesterday's left over dinner whilst watching Mo and all this has happened on GN. I am a slouch.

Mishap Sat 11-Aug-12 20:27:37

Worked on a magazine as picture editor for many years and found the attitudes of the editor a pain - always looking for an "angle" rather than just presenting the facts; latching onto a tragedy as if it were a gift from the gods. Journalists get into a very strange mindset and lose the ability to see that people do not necessarily need drama and exaggeration - they would quite like the facts, lucidly expressed.
I remember being at university during the sit-ins of the late 60s and the stuff that appeared on the news bore absolutely no relation to the facts. It was an eye-opener for my innocent mind!

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 20:11:49

nanaej, grin

nanaej Sat 11-Aug-12 20:02:06

anagram grin So true! Except for Morning Star readers..we just want the people to run the country!

whenim64 Sat 11-Aug-12 20:01:57

Pressed post too soon. Often, people are called probation officers, or ex POs, when they are no such thing. Workers who are unqualified have been called POs by the press, and ex-workers are often ex for good reason.

Ariadne Sat 11-Aug-12 20:00:04

I really don't like the " poseur tabloids" like "The Dailt Mail"and "Express", but equally am irritated by the smugness of "The Telegraph. "The Times" is all I can manage but they are all biassed, aren't they?