Gransnet forums

Books/book club

*Educating Nellie*

(40 Posts)
Littlenellie Mon 20-Aug-12 12:06:47

reading through the threads,at the literature that is mentioned I am aware that my education is woefully lacking,and my interest in other subjects needs to be stimulated...where do I start ....my taste normally light hearted feel good escapism and nothing very "worthy and thought provoking" it is time to educate nellies little grey cells....

jeni Mon 20-Aug-12 13:17:11

I remember reading 'the king must die' years ago!

Littlenellie Mon 20-Aug-12 13:17:27

Am making a list of all the recommendations,they all sound as though they are my kind of thing,will be so busy,but not too busy for GN who has started this quest for self discovery and improvement ...will have to get a label saying " new and improved version 50% extra free"

soop Mon 20-Aug-12 13:20:29

grin sunshine flowers [flag] cupcake wine

soop Mon 20-Aug-12 13:21:08

Where did the flag go? confused

Anagram Mon 20-Aug-12 13:23:42

It HAS gone! Told you Tech wouldn't let us keep it for the Paralympics angry

AlisonMA Mon 20-Aug-12 13:27:50

If you like biographies go to the library and look at that section and pick out one that you know. Then if you don't like it you can take it back and get something else. There are so many to choose from you could spend the rest of you life just reading those.

By now your reading list is so long I'm not adding any more although I have read some of the above and would recommend them too.

soop Mon 20-Aug-12 13:32:16

Bring back the flag. [please] The Paralympians deserve as much. [thanks]

jeni Mon 20-Aug-12 13:39:11

GNHQ WE ARE GOING ON STRIKE IF WE DON'T GET OUR FLAG BACK!

soop Mon 20-Aug-12 13:40:35

YEP!

grannyactivist Mon 20-Aug-12 13:43:12

Littlenellie I left school at fifteen with no qualifications at all. Fortunately I've always been an avid reader and although I did eventually go to college and university I can honestly say that it is the reading I've done that has educated me far more than any formal learning. In fact, having aspired to go to university I was really quite disappointed when I got there to find it was NOT the seat of learning I had imagined. I do applaud you though for acknowledging that there's always more to learn and for going for it.
Just one thing though; if you work out a way to get off Gransnet long enough to pay attention to what you're reading will you share the secret with me please? The amount of reading I do has halved since I joined GN! grin

Notsogrand Mon 20-Aug-12 13:58:42

No flag for the Paralympics? Sorry but that's discrimination! Flag back ASAP!

JessM Mon 20-Aug-12 20:50:23

littlenellie I guess it is about having an enquiring mind. I find reading historical fiction useful because it helps me to understand the past in a very easy engaging way. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory might be a good place to start. Or the Shardlake stories if you like a detective yarn (set in Henry 8th times) Or Katharine, as mentioned above.
There are lots of things I have not read yet, despite reading at least a couple of books a week for the last 55 years! Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Natural History of Selbourne are on the top of my list. Dipped into the last one earlier today (someone else's copy) - loved the story about the elderly pig who produced over 300 offspring during her life time and when she fancied another litter, walked herself up to a nearby farm with a boar in it, opening gates as she went!
If you like fairy or fantasy stories then try Neil Gaiman - Stardust and The Graveyard Book by the same author.

Littlenellie Mon 20-Aug-12 23:57:23

I can feel myself getting all excited at the thought of all these lovely books,GA I rarely had my nose out of a book,now GN has taken my interest,but through doing so my lack of knowledge has become noticeable,to me anyway,jess love the sound of the story with pig....

AlisonMA Tue 21-Aug-12 09:54:10

Nellie we all have a 'lack of knowledge' about most subjects but could go on ad nauseum about our pet ones. I could bore you for weeks about ballet and other forms of dance! Just find a subject which interests you and go and sit in the library reading until something grabs you then go for it!