Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Live webchat with Dear Zoo author Rod Campbell - 19 Sept 1-2pm

(57 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Sep-12 12:26:26

To celebrate the 30 year anniversary of the much loved classic Dear Zoo we are doing a live webchat with its author Rod Campbell. Over 5 million copies of the books have been sold to date.

Rod has been making children’s books for over 30 years and is also the creator of the popular pre-school character Buster. Ingeniously simple, with touches of gentle humour, Rod’s books are loved all over the world by children, parents and teachers alike.

If you'd like to know more about Rod and his work, about reading with small children (and indeed writing for small children) do add your questions to the thread. We also have a signed copy of the gorgeous new touch-and-feel version of Dear Zoo to give away to the author of Rod's favourite question!

We're also running a SECOND (don't say we don't spoil you) competition to win Dear Zoo goody bags.

mayfly Wed 19-Sep-12 13:50:44

Are you concerned about the effect libraries closing will have on children's books? My own three - now grown-up - looked forward to going to the library and the librarians were really good at suggesting titles they might like - things that I might never have thought of. It meant they had access to a much wider range of books than we could afford to buy.

RodCampbell Wed 19-Sep-12 13:54:36

damealice

Do you write with a particular child in mind?

I can't say that I do because I tend to rely on my instinct for what will work. In the early days, when I had put a rough of Dear Zoo together, I went next door to show it to a friend's 18 month-old child whose reaction, on first reading together, was to say "Again". Second reading produced the same reaction but louder. And so it went on. This was an important event for me because it made me understand how children become confident with familiarity of a story (and in this case opening flaps) Children know how to relive the original experience as if it's the first time, something we tend to have lost as adults.

RodCampbell Wed 19-Sep-12 13:57:26

Sweetheart

You write books for babies as well as young children. What's the best age to introduce a baby to picture books?

You can't start too soon. Choose something very simple, not a lot of text, some clear, straightforward pictures and go through it together when you have a quiet moment to spend with your child (or grandchild). Let them go through it in their own time and as often as they like. Be sure to converse with them and ask questions and point at pictures. And you'll both have a wonderful time!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Sep-12 13:59:35

Thanks so much to Rod, who has not only got us all through many bedtimes, but has been lovely to have around today and answered lots of questions.

RodCampbell Wed 19-Sep-12 14:02:50

GeraldineGransnet

Thanks so much to Rod, who has not only got us all through many bedtimes, but has been lovely to have around today and answered lots of questions.

I'd like to thank all the gransnetters for sending in some really great questions. It's been fun replying and I'm really grateful to have this chance to talk to you. Thanks again - and before I forget - the winner of the signed book is gillybob for her question about which animals to send. Congratulations

gillybob Wed 19-Sep-12 15:17:41

I really don't know what to say. I haven't won a thing in my life (not even an argument). My grandchildren will be thrilled. Thank you so much.