Gransnet forums

Books/book club

International Book Week

(59 Posts)
Bags Thu 20-Sep-12 09:28:37

It's international book week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 52, post the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the title.

Here's mine:

"The system, however, only worked if the superiority of their ancestors was imaginary and standards basically remained the same."

MiceElf Fri 21-Sep-12 20:07:25

And nobody's got mine yet even though I gave a big fat clue....

Here's another one:

After settling in the priest found himself once more in the offices of Baumgartner, by this time, Austria's minister of trade.

baublesbanglesandb Fri 21-Sep-12 20:39:30

Mamie Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh

johanna Fri 21-Sep-12 21:02:20

Exactly elegran
Only asking because posters wanted to know whether we should guess one another's book titles.

Mamie Sat 22-Sep-12 06:40:23

Yes and yes, Baubles grin (I thought it was nauseating psycho-babble, just about got through Eat, found Pray deeply boring and wanted to throw up over Love!)

baublesbanglesandb Sat 22-Sep-12 09:23:59

Actually I probably agree with a you Mamie haven't quite finished the 'eat' and I'm struggling to understand the hype.

Another one -

'Apart from Grandma's sisters from Newport there were other occasional visitors."

Oldgreymare Sat 22-Sep-12 09:42:08

Mice... mine was angels: 'Angels and Insects' by A.S. Byatt.really two novellas, and I'm struggling with the second. Will look for the film as it stars the wonderful Kristin Scott Thomas.
Here's another:
'This coconut palm germinated from just one coconut here at the shore of the tank'.

MiceElf Sat 22-Sep-12 09:52:20

OGM I haven't read that particular Byatt but now I know the answer it seems obvious. Hindsight is an exact science!

My first was Person Woodford's Diary. I wish I'd known him - and eaten at his table.

I'm pondering the palm.

petallus Sat 22-Sep-12 14:07:11

'This venture proved a failure'