Gransnet forums

Books/book club

books from childhood

(6 Posts)
FlicketyB Mon 04-Feb-13 13:42:10

Very belatedly (I have been ill with a respiratory infection) I got the author wrong, blame the fever. The Secret Garden was, of course, written by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

rojon Thu 31-Jan-13 20:03:16

Thanks that is the series.

FlicketyB Thu 31-Jan-13 19:23:35

DD and I have just introduced my 5 year old GD to The Secret Garden by E M Nesbit. We both love it and there was a serialisation of it in the 1970s that we think has never been equalled. We now have it on DVD and DD managed also to find an easy reading version for DGD whose reading skills are not yet up to the full version.

Over Christmas we all sat in a warm huddle, DD, DDiL, DGD and me and watched it through together and loved it.

DD works in broadcasting and she commented that no one nowadays would spread a book like that over seven episodes and spend the whole of the first episode setting the scene for the main story but it was enjoyable to watch a serialisation that took its time to reveal the story and set the mood of scenes. DGD had no problem with the slow pace and watched the first three episodes in one sitting.

GillieB Thu 31-Jan-13 16:10:52

Definitely the Lone Pine series by Malcolm Saville - I have some in the loft and, when we re-insulated eighteen months ago, they all came downstairs and I re-read them. (I still enjoyed them!)

Fondasharing Thu 31-Jan-13 16:07:25

Sounds like the Lone Pine Series by Malcolm Saville (full lists on Amazon)...hope these are the ones for you!

rojon Thu 31-Jan-13 15:57:02

Can anyone remember a series of adventure books for older children/teenagers set in Shropshire. I can remember Church Stretton and the stipperstones featuring in many. I read some of them in the late forties and into the fifties but for the life of me can't remember any titles or the Author. Fingers crossed.