Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Little Old Lady who Broke all the Rules - add your questions

(97 Posts)
ffinnochio Thu 26-Dec-13 13:22:54

Thank you for my copy of this book GNHQ! I received it in this morning's post (the French don't observe Boxing Day). I was very taken with the title, which is why I entered for the Book Giveaway. I'll review it anon.
A lovely surprise gift, which had me wondering for a moment just who might have sent it.......until I remembered! smile

Gagagran Sat 04-Jan-14 08:10:43

Not my cup of tea either I'm afraid. Found it quite juvenile in style and story. I don't waste time persevering with books I can't get on with these days - too many good ones waiting to be read.

Flowerofthewest Sat 04-Jan-14 09:37:18

oznan totally agree, I too am finding the book very amusing and engaging. Love the main characters. I liken the simplicity of the script to Hamish Macbeth books, which I love. I too am hoping it is made into a film or TV film.

I am a great fan of Nordic writing and this makes light relief from my usual delves into Wallender and suchlike.

coastwallker Sat 04-Jan-14 11:34:55

I really enjoyed this book one I had got started with it. I must admit that at first I was not sure as it seemed a bit silly and far-fetched but as I went on, I got caught up with the story. So by the end, although it was still silly and far-fetched, I found myself staying up to finish it. The main characters grew on me as they became more individual particularly Martha, who reminds me of a lady I know who won’t take bad treatment lying down. Mind you I don’t think she would go as far as robbery and extortion! The only thing that jarred for me was the translation, which was far from accurate. The translator used terms that we would not in English, such as knitting the back panel of a cardigan whereas would just say knitting the back. Every now and then something like that irritated me because they could have been taken out by a native English person reading the whole thing (actually probably an older lady) to iron out the crinkles. But, as I said, I enjoyed it and have chosen it for my book club to read in February.
I would like to know a little more about how care homes in Sweden work in reality. It sounded as though people are put in them, whether they like it or not. Maybe the author can answer that question.

Lowslung Sun 05-Jan-14 13:35:20

I have now finished the book and found it a nice easy read. I am a fast reader so didn't have time to get bored or annoyed by the unlikeliness if the plot. It was farfetched and a bit outrageous, but very suitable for a holiday read.
The characters were OK, but perhaps a little unreal, OK, very unreal. In fact it has the makings of a sitcom - a bit like "Waiting for God" but with a more criminal side! I suspect the "humour" many have found missing in the book might come out more on film.

Has the author explored this idea?

redandyellow Mon 06-Jan-14 10:16:51

Thank you for my copy. I have just started it and so far am enjoying very much. I LOVED this line in the prologue "She had wrapped a neon-coloured scarf around her neck, so if a photo was taken of her with flash, it would automatically overexpose the rest of the picture and her facial features would disappear...if she had to be old, she might as well be wise, too."

My question is that in this day and age 79 isn't that old (I remember there was a thread on Gransnet ages ago that said under 80 is still middle age) so given the book is about a "little old lady" with a zimmer frame were you not tempted to make her older?

beebopalola Mon 06-Jan-14 10:18:23

How does it feel to have your book translated into other languages? If as an author you have crafted a book with careful choice of words do you not worry that nuance and effect will be lost?

wallers5 Mon 06-Jan-14 11:37:56

Very funny & I have passed it on to my even older mother-in-law.

Nelliemoser Mon 06-Jan-14 23:15:11

I am partway through and enjoying it! It's funny and silly but I like that sort of thing once in a while. It really reminds me of the style of the Ealing comedy films. The Lady Killers perhaps. Daft but thoroughly enjoyable.

Nelliemoser Mon 06-Jan-14 23:23:47

Having had a look through the comments I guess people's taste in books is a very personal thing. What is wrong with far fetched!

Do those who think this is far fetched like J R Tolkien? wink I cannot cope with Tolkien but this makes me laugh.

I am sure someone could get funding to do a PhD on which sort of people like different kinds of humour.

inishowen Tue 07-Jan-14 16:57:18

I'm enjoying the book very much. It's great to read about feisty old people. I wonder if the author has elderly relatives in a retirement home?

Marelli Tue 07-Jan-14 17:23:56

My copy is on my pile of books to be read next. I may just be a bit too late to ask the author any questions, unfortunately.

glammanana Tue 07-Jan-14 17:29:23

I'm certainly enjoying the book it took me a short while to get into but now can't put it down they remind me of an elderly version of Robin Hood relieving the rich and making sure the poor get rewarded in some way,my question is: do you know personally ladies like these characters ? and will you be writing another with the same type of humour as I found it very funny in parts and could relate to a couple of the ladies.Thank you for the opportunity to read the book.grin

sylwright Tue 07-Jan-14 17:49:00

I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book at the moment, enjoying it so far.

It isn't a book I would normally choose but I think its good to read things which are outside of your normal choice.

Hopefully I will have finished the book soon enough to ask the author some relevant questions.

The only questions I have so far are similar to other questions on here,

1. How does the author feel about the translation?
2. Does she understand English well enough to know how it comes across in another language?
3. Is it normal for Swedish citizens to end up in care homes when they get older?

Many thanks for the book.

Humbertbear Tue 07-Jan-14 20:23:38

My question to the author concerns the rebelliousness of the characters. Is she a naturally rebellious person herself? Does this bool reflect how she would like to be in her later years? Or was it the result of seeing someone she knows live in an old peoples home?

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Jan-14 21:01:41

My questions would be:

As a well-established and award-winning author across a range of genres, what do you enjoy writing most - factual books, historical fiction or humour?

And which has given you the most joy - your adventures as a diving archaeologist or your writing career?

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Jan-14 09:36:48

This delightful book is now stopping me from my house work I have to find out what happens. When I get to finish it I will do a more organised review.

gillybob Wed 08-Jan-14 12:14:09

A belated thank you for my copy too, which I haven't gotten around to starting yet. (this weekend she says with fingers crossed X).

Picking up on an earlier comment made by redandyellow I don't think 79 is old enough to be described as a "little old lady" and the "walking with the aid of a zimmer frame" conjures up a picture of someone much older, perhaps late 80's ???

Maniac Wed 08-Jan-14 12:53:06

Haven't received my copy .Definitely requested before Christmas!
Anyone else missed out?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 08-Jan-14 13:28:58

Hello Maniac - unfortunately we had many hundreds of people apply for 150 free copies so everyone's names were put into the draw and the first 150 out got a copy. So sorry you missed out this time. Next month's book will be available from next week so a chance to try again

Grandmanorm Wed 08-Jan-14 13:41:39

What experience of retirement homes does the author have as I found the one painted here horrendous. Sadly I suspect that happens in all countries, but I always thought that the Scandinavian countries took care of their elderly, but I could be wrong.

MrsJamJam Wed 08-Jan-14 17:57:07

It seemed to me that in this country anyone with this degree of mobility would not be in a care home, more likely in sheltered accommodation. Does the author feel that there is a different attitude to the needs of the elderly in Sweden?

Nelliemoser Thu 09-Jan-14 11:17:36

Did you actually write this as a comment on the Swedish welfare system or just as a promotion and celebration of the ability of older people to want to have fun, be creative and stand up for themselves?

coastwallker Thu 09-Jan-14 11:25:16

Nelliemoser - that is exactly the question I have been trying to put together and failing to get the right words in a straight line.

Stansgran Thu 09-Jan-14 13:29:35

Still haven't got through it yet. I'd like to know why Scandinavian writers have only now seem to be discovered ? Is it lack of translator s or were publishers in the uk not interested?

oznan Fri 10-Jan-14 09:39:42

I would like to ask Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg if there will be a follow up book tracking the pensioners' new life? Also,are the characters based on people she knows?