Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Mouseproof Kitchen - Q&A

(86 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Feb-14 14:48:16

Those who were lucky enough to win copies of this month's book club choice should have received their books.

Author Saira Shah will be doing a Q&A later in the month - so do add your questions for her here. (For those who don't yet have a copy details about the book and how to get one here

<<<<UPDATE>>>>

Saira has now answered your questions - you can read what she has to say from here

penguinpaperback Wed 05-Feb-14 22:38:42

Hi, I bought a copy of this book after reading an article about the author. I've just started reading the book and am looking forward to the web chat.
If anyone would like to know more of Saira's life,
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/authorinterviews/9954382/Difficult-truths-Saira-Shah-interview.html

Aka Wed 05-Feb-14 22:46:33

I've already read it. Disappointed.

Marelli Thu 06-Feb-14 09:19:11

Really enjoying it so far.smile

numberplease Thu 06-Feb-14 16:58:01

I`m about two thirds into it now, really enjoying it, if enjoying is the right word.

gardener Thu 06-Feb-14 18:03:29

I've read about 100 pages up to now and I can't put it down !!

tubbygran Thu 06-Feb-14 20:46:02

Fantastic, thought-provoking book. Couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

sallyc06 Thu 06-Feb-14 21:08:48

What a fab book, cannot put it down. Great storyline.

nonnanna Fri 07-Feb-14 07:48:16

Thank you for my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen. It was a great, addictive read and as mentioned in other posts, very thought provoking. I had questions for Saira but having read the article in the above link they've already been answered. I love the title of the book - it hints at some things you can control and others...?? No chance! Sending special thoughts to Saira, her family and her friends. Will there be a sequel?

JillMay Fri 07-Feb-14 09:33:29

Thank you for the book. I have nearly finished it and am finding it a good read.

sherish Fri 07-Feb-14 09:54:40

I was fortunate to receive this book and I'm halfway through it. I'm really enjoying it and what makes it more true to life is that Saira has a daughter with cerebal palsy so is obviously writing from experience. Brilliant!

numberplease Fri 07-Feb-14 15:39:01

Finished this wonderful book, very emotional in places.

MamaCaz Sat 08-Feb-14 16:21:02

I read it last week but couldn't quite engage with it myself. I expected to find it thought-provoking and emotional but that just didn't happen for me. I'm not sure why.

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 16:49:00

Thank goodness it's not just me MamaCaz

MamaCaz Sat 08-Feb-14 17:10:52

I'm not sure I would have dared admit it, Aka, if you hadn't already taken the plunge! grin

Kizzie Sat 08-Feb-14 18:50:31

Only 50 pages in so far but think I'm gonna enjoy it ( if you CAN actually use the word enjoy) with such a sad synopsis.

Marelli Mon 10-Feb-14 10:28:34

I really did enjoy the book. I was able to understand the fear and tangled emotions of both Anna and Tobias as they struggled to cope with their baby. I worked for many years with young people (not babies) who had severe learning and physical disabilities, and so many of the parents of these children and young adults spoke of their despair and frustrations when faced with the problems, both personally and with the authorities, that they faced on a daily basis and also how they sometimes fought against the final decisions to tube-feed their child. Some seemed to feel as if in allowing this, that they were no longer able to nourish their child themselves, which is surely a basic need for any parent.
I'd like to ask Saira one question (although the link that penguinpaperback was really informative). Saira, you have shown in your novel that your relationship with your mother changed as you recognised that you couldn't be parted from Freya. Did you have a similar relationship with your own mother as Ailsa was growing? I hope this isn't too personal a question to be asking.
Thank you.

janet1952 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:47:42

Thank you for the book I found it a compelling read. I would like to ask the author - I know that your daughter has the same condition as the baby in the book. What made you decide to fictionalise the story rather than writing a memoir about your own experiences?

mishymashy Mon 10-Feb-14 10:49:24

Hello Saira yes I too had read an article about your life and your daughter - part of me wishes I hadn;t because then while I read the book (which I thought was very good by the way) I kept thinking - is this bit true then? How much of it is real?

Gagagran Mon 10-Feb-14 15:03:03

I've just finished this book which I read in 2 days as I was very into it. I hated the rats though! Surely there must have been something they could do about them? A Jack Russell for example?

I wondered what experience you had of living in la France profonde Saira?

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-14 19:39:58

Started it yesterday morning. DH had to practically drag me out of bed as I really didn't want to put it down. Beautifully written, thought provoking and I can't wait to read what happens to them.

sherish Mon 10-Feb-14 20:34:05

Thank you for the book which I found compelling. I really felt as though I was there in the ramshackle house along with the rats. A very, very good read. I enjoyed it a lot.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:19:12

As one who has had a rodent issue in the recent past...any tips in case the little sods they work out how to get back in?!

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-14 22:20:22

Get a Jack Russell, Cari grin

Don't put poison in the house as it contains a powerful attractant. Traps are a better bet because you know where they are when they die.

#terriblesmell

Kizzie Tue 11-Feb-14 10:52:54

Thank you for my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen. Just finished, found it to be a beautiful, thought provoking, heartbreaking read. My heart goes out to Anna & Tobias, who deal with the catastrophic diagnosis for Freya in their own diverse ways. Really enjoyed it.