Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent Q&A

(152 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Feb-14 09:39:01

The winners of the free copies of this great book - read more about it HERE - should have received their parcels by now. If you did (or indeed if you won a copy in our giveaway of the hardback edition last year) do please add a question for author Hannah Kent.

Isabelsnana Tue 25-Feb-14 14:23:15

Thank you so much! I received my copy yesterday and looking forward to reading it. smile

numberplease Tue 25-Feb-14 16:12:33

My copy arrived today, thank you, looking forward to reading it.

MarionHalcombe Tue 25-Feb-14 17:19:45

I've got mine thanks so much!

When is the chat?

Grandmanorm Tue 25-Feb-14 17:20:27

Thank you for my copy which arrived yesterday. I intend to start it this evening.

happysouls Tue 25-Feb-14 20:07:48

Thankyou for my copy! No questions for Hannah Kent but I would like to say thankyou for a well written and enjoyable read. I love it when an author can spin a tale well enough that my mind can conjour up a totally different time and place!

JoanJett Wed 26-Feb-14 09:30:41

Thank you for my copy. Just about to get started despite it being a beautiful sunny day! I visited Iceland a couple of years ago, after the volcano, such a beautiful country. Didn't manage to get to the North though. Have just looked at the author's photo essay on the Picador website. Warning: a bit of a spoiler.

As Marion said when is the chat?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Feb-14 09:42:17

We are not sure yet if Hannah will be coming into GNHQ or whether we will be sending the questions to her. We want to make sure people have time to read the book first so either way it will be in the last couple of weeks of March.

glammanana Wed 26-Feb-14 10:26:15

Thanks so much for my copy of the book it is on my list to be started next I will then pop back and give my thoughts and question.

numberplease Wed 26-Feb-14 15:33:47

I`m only a few pages into it, but it looks as if it`s going to be a very thought provoking book.

Granniepam Wed 26-Feb-14 20:12:27

Thank you from me too. I've just started reading it and am already engrossed in another world during a different time. My only questions so far are about why did Hannah Kent choose to go all the way to Iceland at 17 (or was she just sent?) and how long did it take her to learn Icelandic? I'm sure I'll have book based questions once I've read more of it.

Grannybug Thu 27-Feb-14 09:17:53

So pleased to have been sent a copy of what is turning out to be a very good read.

whenim64 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:00:23

I'm a few pages in and finding it engrossing. A whole different world that I know nothing about. I wouldn't have picked this up off the shelf, so I'm glad to have received it.

goose1964 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:47:43

I loved the book & cried my eyes out at the end

Barnet Thu 27-Feb-14 11:54:30

Received my copy yesterday - I'm delighted to have won as this has been on my book wishlist ever since in came out in hardback. Thank you Gransnet!

weather Thu 27-Feb-14 13:55:42

I am a third of the way through and hooked ...I wasn't sure if I would like it but I do. I will come back again when I have finished it which won't be long...many thanks for the free copy.

magwis Thu 27-Feb-14 14:02:15

Brilliant book. Strange idea to house the murderer with a family as they obviously developed a good relationship - even towards the end I expected that her death penalty would be reprieved.

Kizzie Thu 27-Feb-14 16:17:29

Thank you so much for my copy of Burial Rites. Have never read such a fantastic debut novel. Hannah has an extraordinary talent. Has she inherited this talent or is she the first in her family to publish a novel?

Elsie10 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:31:43

Thank you for the book - hoping to get started with it this weekend - got to finish Camilla Lackberg first!

gardener Thu 27-Feb-14 20:02:07

Many thanks for this book. I'm 100 pages into it...it's really engrossing..and such an unusual plot and setting. Questions to follow later !!

contrarymary Thu 27-Feb-14 20:04:26

I was so surprised to get my copy in the post. I haven't got very far with it yet but so far it is proving to be an engrossing tale.

pattieb Thu 27-Feb-14 20:08:28

Thank you so much for the book. I am really looking forward to starting it.

How does Hannah go about her writing?
Is it like turning up for work and putting in the hours or done in a different way?

Deedaa Thu 27-Feb-14 20:48:41

I'm really getting into this book now. It's getting really intriguing and I can't wait to see how it all ends up. A very impressive debut!

sallyc06 Fri 28-Feb-14 06:53:49

Thank you for my lovely book, logged onto the linked website as advised in the little note that came with the book and saw the fantastic landscapes, then read the book after, really gave the book a better concept. A really good read. Well done Hannah!

sherish Fri 28-Feb-14 07:45:28

Thank you for my book. I have only just started reading it but already I am intrigued with how the story will go. It isn't like anything I usually read so that makes it even more interesting.