Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Girl on the Train - March 2015 Book club

(129 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Mar-15 14:41:58

We hope you've all been enjoying this fantastic book (we certainly have!) - do add your comments and questions for the author Paula Hawkins below.

More about the book itself here.

p.s since there are so many plot twists and turns in this one, remember not to give away any spoilers on the thread! ...or clearly signpost them so a reader has time to avert their eyes if need be!

MaggieP Sat 07-Mar-15 12:40:25

Thank you very much, just arrived this morning. Looking forward to reading as soon as I finish The Silkworm!

Greenfinch Sat 07-Mar-15 12:55:51

Thanks from me too. Mine has just arrived and the Celia Imrie one arrived yesterday. Don't know which to read first !

sunseeker Sat 07-Mar-15 13:40:34

Received Girl on a Train this morning, many thanks, look forward to reading it.

shysal Sat 07-Mar-15 14:08:12

Thank you for mine also.

gma Sat 07-Mar-15 14:22:21

Many thanks for 'the Girl on the train ' which arrived this morning and for Not quite Nice which arrived yesterday. what a fortunate gransnetter I am !! Most appreciative flowers

Purpledaffodil Sat 07-Mar-15 14:31:23

My copy came this morning too. Spent a while reading, when I should have been doing chores. So much more fun! Looks riveting so far and I don't usually read thrillers. Thanks Gransnet!

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Mar-15 14:33:33

My copy of Girl on the Train has arrived too - thank you! Feeling very fortunate having received Not Quite Nice earlier in the week. smile

matson Sat 07-Mar-15 15:49:06

Thank you for my copy of The Girl on the Train, looking forward to reading it.

Quiltinggran Sat 07-Mar-15 18:46:23

I only went to visit my dad overnight but came back to find both books had arrived while I was away. Many thanks. I look forward to reading them - as well as the one for my local book group. I may not have time to do anything except read for a few days/weeks! Oh what hardship!!

harrigran Sat 07-Mar-15 19:29:45

Many thanks for my copy of The Girl on the Train. I have one last chapter to read of another book and then I am set to go smile

pompa Sat 07-Mar-15 20:12:00

Received my copy today, thanks. Mrs.P has already pinched it, so she may be reviewing it before me. Certainly looks promising.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Mar-15 20:34:55

grin

(I think it might be one for the girls!)

Ana Sat 07-Mar-15 20:38:49

No, it's basically a contemporary mystery.

Just because the character from whose perspective the story's being told is a woman doesn't make it a 'girly' novel!

numberplease Sat 07-Mar-15 21:01:19

Thank you for my copy of The Girl on the Train, it arrived this morning, have just begun reading it.

avery64 Sat 07-Mar-15 22:28:40

I entered several comps to win this book. One arrived this morning but with no papework to say who it was from. I will certainly review it when I have had a chance to read it. Thank you Gransnet if it was from you!

grannyactivist Sat 07-Mar-15 23:03:55

Aaaaargh!! I only just received the book today (thanks GNHQ) and got stuck in straight away - brilliant start and loving it so far. But very disappointed to find the first reader's comment contained a SPOILER ALERT and being a skim reader I read the information (spoiler) in the same eye sweep!
Please, if anyone is going to spoil the story can you put SPOILER ALERT!!

and then leave a gap so that we can NOT read the giveaway in the same glance as the alert. Or better still at least wait until people have had time to read the book before giving away important information.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Mar-15 23:07:04

I managed to avoid it. The SPOILER ALERT in capitals stopped me in my (reading) tracks.

Ana Sat 07-Mar-15 23:15:42

Not much at all was given away though, was it?

I'm confused as to whether we're supposed to give our views on the book on this thread now, or wait until everyone's received their free copies and has read them! confused

Supernan Sun 08-Mar-15 00:33:30

Thank you Gransnet for 'The girl on the train'. Can't put it down & I really should go to sleep!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 09:30:03

Well, I'm going to avoid this thread. I paid for mine - I don't want it spoilt! winkgrin

Maniac Sun 08-Mar-15 10:57:17

Surprise! 'Girl on a Train'arrived yesterday -Don't remember ordering it.
I thought I had ordered 'Not Quite Nice'!!

Riverwalk Sun 08-Mar-15 11:05:03

Thank you for my copy!

Rosannie Sun 08-Mar-15 11:42:44

Thank you for,The Girl on the train, 'unputdownable'! I'm more than half way through the book already and I think that the Sunday roast dinner will be cancelled!

gillogg Sun 08-Mar-15 12:16:39

Just got mine yesterday.I also thought I'd missed out on this book,so I was delighted when it arrived. I couldn't wait to get started and ended up having a bit of a late night. Looking good so far!

numberplease Sun 08-Mar-15 23:41:25

Well, I started off being a bit bored with the storyline, then I started to become quite interested, and this afternoon my jobs were put on hold so I could finish it, needed to see how it ended! So yes, it`s a bit different as a thriller, but can recommend it.