Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The House of Hidden Mothers by Meera Syal

(124 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 22-May-15 10:03:39

Thanks GNHQ. My copy has just arrived and it looks like a good, meaty book.

gma Fri 22-May-15 12:58:44

Thank you so much for my copy of Hidden Mothers which just arrived! And hardback too!! It's my birthday on Monday, so it's a lovely early present! Looking forward to reading it! Thanks again GNHQ

Grannyknot Fri 22-May-15 13:26:03

... and for mine! Yippee just in time for the Bank Holiday weekend- there goes all the other projects I planned to do ...grin

Gagagran Fri 22-May-15 13:37:00

Lovely Jo, our postman, has just brought me a copy - thank you so much GN - I love the feel and scent of new books and even better, reading them!

loopylou Fri 22-May-15 13:41:19

What a lovely surprise, thank you so much!
And being a hardback book it's especially special with that unique smell, I agree Gagagran

DD is taking me on a surprise holiday to the Canaries at the end of June, so that's my holiday reading sorted grin

Greenfinch Fri 22-May-15 13:45:00

Thank goodness for recycling boxes !For the second time recently our postman has left my book hidden under one of ours. Many thanks for my copy GN. I shall start it in bed tonight.

matson Fri 22-May-15 13:58:37

Thank you for my copy of The House of Hidden Mothers, looks an interesting read.

cazthebookworm Fri 22-May-15 14:41:47

A lovely surprise this morning when my copy arrived, thank you GN.
I am housebound for a week or so, and this looks a fabulous book to get into, I am fascinated by India and Indian culture, so am really looking forward to reading it.

Pittcity Fri 22-May-15 15:55:09

Just got home to find a copy behind the plant pot at the front door. Good job it came today because we are off to France this evening, so I have holiday reading and the parcel would have been on the doorstep for a week! Rap on the knuckles for the postman.

numberplease Fri 22-May-15 17:06:37

Thank you for my copy of The House of Hidden Mothers, it arrived just before lunchtime. I look forward to reading it, after I finish my present book.

emmasnan Fri 22-May-15 20:25:25

Many thanks for my copy of The House of Hidden Mothers. A lovely surprise, will start it this weekend.

Purpledaffodil Fri 22-May-15 20:52:25

So pleased to get this book this morning. Hard back fiction is such a treat too! smile

Funnygran Sat 23-May-15 14:15:00

Had to go to PO this morning to pick up a parcel and couldn't think what it could be. Lovely surprise to find I'd got The House of Hidden Mothers. Thank you and I am really looking to reading it having read good reviews.

pompa Sat 23-May-15 14:55:23

My copy arrived this ,morning BUT, Mrs P opened it, "ooh that looks good" and has pinched it to read first sad

granjan30 Sat 23-May-15 17:33:41

Thank you for my copy which arrived today. It will make a nice change to read a physical book rather than using my kindle.

annemac101 Sun 24-May-15 08:23:26

Thank you for my copy Gransnet. I love a hardback book and it's so thick.

rubylady Sun 24-May-15 22:01:36

How do you get a copy?

Elsie10 Tue 26-May-15 10:09:50

Thank you for my copy. I have already started reading and love it!! Brilliant writing - holds my attention well. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

whenim64 Tue 26-May-15 10:59:30

I'm on the last chapter and it has been compelling reading. The characters are so recognisable and throughout I've been thinking this would make a great film (which I imagine Meera Syal had in mind, too!)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-May-15 11:47:25

rubylady

How do you get a copy?

Hi Rubylady - when we preview our upcoming book club choice and giveaway it goes in our newsletter and also on the home page and elsewhere on the site. The links for all the above will take you to a page about the book with a form to fill in - once you have done that you are entered into the draw (which is made at random)

The next preview will be mid June so keep a look out

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-May-15 11:49:34

And...you have beaten me to it with the thread. But yes - do remember that book clubs books are sent out on the basis that you have agreed to read within the given timeframe (June in this instance) - so enjoy, comment and add questions for Meera who will be popping into GNHQ towards the end of the month.

rubylady Tue 26-May-15 12:05:10

Thank you Cari, I will take note and keep my peepers peeled. smile

numberplease Tue 26-May-15 22:03:01

This is so not my usual sort of read, but I`m really enjoying it, especially the bits taking place in India, a place I`ve always wanted to visit, although I know I never will now.

maureenmoe Wed 27-May-15 00:57:28

I'm reading it now, so far very good

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-May-15 13:47:52

I read it in Sri Lanka which is as close as I have got to India so far. One day...