Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Man at the Helm - July book club

(116 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Jun-15 13:44:03

A day early - yes. But a pre emptive strike grin

Our July book is Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe - more info HERE

If you got a free copy (they are on the way if no one has had yet!) then don't forget to leave questions and comments for Nina before the end of the month. If you weren't lucky this time - why not buy or borrow a copy and join the conversation?

granh1 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:39:31

Received the book, and am enjoying reading it. I often tell my friends and daughters about the gransnet books. Is it ok to lend the books, I'm not sure about the terms of receiving them?

harrigran Sun 12-Jul-15 09:26:38

I have given up on Man at the Helm. I have read some poor books but this one has to be the worst. My question to the author would be who told you that you could write novels ?

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jul-15 14:18:30

Oh, don't mince your words, harrigran! Can't wait to start reading it now. grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jul-15 14:23:27

I'm sure it is, granh1 - it's your book. The only condition attached to the free book club book is that you write a bit of a review of it or put up a question for the author webchat near the end of the month. My family like reading my Gransnet books after me, as they're always new releases.

revstuart Sun 12-Jul-15 15:26:44

Thanks for the book-not got far yet but seems ok.

bookmad Mon 13-Jul-15 13:53:42

It's funny isn't it how different people see the same book in different ways? I have often thought "so what" about books people have raved about. However back to Man at the Helm - I thought it was a wonderful read. Charming and funny and reminiscent of a period I remember so well myself. I found it original and thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to ask the author whether it's based at all on her won experience?

nibbles Mon 13-Jul-15 13:56:25

Yes I agree bookmad. I didn't win a free copy this time but bought it on my kindle and was not disappointed. I found some bits laugh out loud funny and read it very quickly. I would like to ask how Nina Stibbe found writing it compared to her first book which was a memoir?

Grannie48 Mon 13-Jul-15 14:44:47

I am over half way through now and I am really enjoying it. I have laughed out loud a couple of times and I do find it funny, but also rather sad. I'm tempted to read the last page, but won't spoil it for myself. ☺

Rosannie Mon 13-Jul-15 20:44:36

I'm looking forward to starting Man at the Helm, I will do my very best to finish it before I fly off on holiday next week as I may not be able to post a review from Greece! It looks like an easy read so fingers crossed x

LynnKnowles Wed 15-Jul-15 17:03:46

Enjoying the whimsical attempts to get mum a man. The Manlist appeals to me. A gentle, ambling look at life. Thanks for the book.

Nana3 Fri 17-Jul-15 00:20:27

I'm enjoying the book very much, I'm half way through now. The funny parts sometimes make me laugh out loud. I can forgive the characters their middle class comforts, their lack of money worries, chauffeurs, ponies etc because I like them and hope they have a happier future.

Nana3 Fri 17-Jul-15 00:22:38

Thank you for the free book. What a treat.

chloe1984 Fri 17-Jul-15 08:36:24

After the first few chapters I felt like giving up as I wasn't enjoying it. However I did continue and after a while I sort of got into it a bit more, I struggled to find anything remotely amusing and really didn't find the four letter words necessary. I wonder if a younger person may find it more amusing and is perhaps able to relate to it a little more. I am passing it on to my DD and will await her feedback.

harrigran Fri 17-Jul-15 18:26:02

chloe1984, the language was one of the reasons I gave up on the book. The language was not really a true representation of the way people spoke in the 70s, I don't think the author was even born then.

gillogg Fri 17-Jul-15 21:07:10

Half way through and struggling.I will finish this book!!!

Deedaa Fri 17-Jul-15 22:05:28

Some of it is quite amusing, but I couldn't find much funny in the plight of three children stuck with a drunken mother and an uncaring father. I have no idea what some of the reviewers found so "hilarious"

geri Sat 18-Jul-15 13:13:30

I enjoyed this book, humorous but innocent somehow. it has a great range of characters, especially Lizzie. It was a nice reminder about how life was in the 70s which i do remember, however you get the feeling that it wouldn't take much for things to get completely out of control. The family, although believable, are a bit odd, and what can I say about that mother!!!
I'd like to ask Nina if she is still using characters from her real life 'Love Nina' period as that household also seemed a bit chaotic. I love Alan Bennett, and would love to see him portrayed in a novel.

Galen Sat 18-Jul-15 13:51:12

Sorry but I can't see any humour in it and am finding it boring. Think I'll give up.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jul-15 14:41:36

I brought my children up in the laid back seventies and I don’t think the mother’s character is all that exaggerated. It was much safer to let children roam free in those days and her attitude of ‘controlled neglect’ was not unusual in those who lacked any real parenting skills because they'd once had the money to pay others to care for their kids. The two girls yearning for something more solid and stable reminded me of Esther Freud’s Hideous Kinky.
I’m glad there was a happy ending (of sorts). It’s a touching moment when the mother is finally shown some sympathy and support by a man.
Do you plan to write a sequel, Nina…..Teenagers in the Thatcher era for example?

weather Sun 19-Jul-15 18:19:52

many thanks for my free book.
I read this book in a few days as I couldn't put it down once I had started reading it.
It does make you smile, but not laugh, at the way it is written, and is amusing, but sadly it has a good sprinkling of "F" words.

Deedaa Sun 19-Jul-15 21:48:56

I loved Hideous Kinky merlotgran although I hadn't expected to. But I feel that the reviewers quoted in this book must have read very few really funny ones if they found this one hilarious. Mildly amusing but a pretty joyless life for the children.

gillogg Mon 20-Jul-15 12:20:31

I have finally finished this book but it has been a struggle.
Whenever I see the words'Hilariously funny' on the cover of a book, I get a bit worried.In the case of 'Man at the Helm' my worries were justified.I just didn't laugh or even smile.Oh dear! Do I lack a sense of humour? No, I think it was just silly.
I felt a bit uncomfortable and uneasy at the parent's selfish attitude and lack of responsibility.
Sorry, but not my type of novel. (I do try and finish every book that I start).l read many different genres and have found some surprising new authors, such as Jo Jo Moyes, that I probably wouldn't have picked for myself.

Nonnie Mon 20-Jul-15 12:46:01

Only just started it so after a couple of chapters I have to say that I do 'get it'. I think it is because I had an older sister and therefore find both girls attitudes to each other realistic.

trisher Tue 21-Jul-15 09:22:58

Half way through and enjoying it. The plight of the three children is touching as well as funny. I worry about Jack, although there are indications that he might have hidden depths and abilities. I wonder which of the three children is Nina's favourite?

Maggiemaybe Tue 21-Jul-15 10:04:30

I've enjoyed Man At The Helm, though would agree that the dust jacket reviews are over the top. I found it bitter sweet, and though there was plenty of humour and a few laugh out loud moments, there were desperately sad ones too. The voice of young Lizzie rang true with me, though she is no Adrian Mole. I particularly empathise with her and little Jack's experience at the village fete fancy dress competition - I've definitely been there! Thank you again to GN and to Nina for the entertaining read, and I'd like to ask Nina whether her depiction of village life and the treatment of the incomers was based on experience.