Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Go Set a Watchman

(27 Posts)
annodomini Tue 14-Jul-15 10:04:54

I opened my email this morning to find, to my surprise, that I had pre-ordered Harper Lee's new/old book for my Kindle! I have just started it, so no spoilers. It will be interesting to see what other grans think of it. No doubt many of us have, in the past read 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

chelseababy Fri 07-Aug-15 12:14:59

It's next week's Book at Bedtime on radio 4 at 10.45. If you can't stay awake its will be downloadable from BBC iPlayer radio. I'll give it a whirl!

Riverwalk Mon 20-Jul-15 20:31:25

I've received my pre-ordered copy (half-price) from The Guardian and am almost scared to start it!

Last week I went to see 'To Kill A Mockingbird' at The Barbican - it was a wonderful production, very close to the film version rather than the book.

I'm not usually one for child actors as they tend to be a bit 'stage school' but the three youngsters were magnificent, particularly Dill (Truman Capote).

JAS Sat 18-Jul-15 17:28:38

I get mine from the library even though I was 55th on the list but I support the library service if I can as it can be expensive to buy books.

Victoria08 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:33:48

Ditto. If anyone has read this book and wants to recycle it, I would be glad of a copy too. Thanks. Will pay postage.

jimorourke Sat 18-Jul-15 10:52:02

If anybody buys the book and doesn't want it I would be glad of it, I can't afford to buy it ,

vegasmags Sat 18-Jul-15 10:46:54

Well, I enjoyed reading it, up to a point, but I think that if her reputation had rested on this one book, she would have been doomed to a life of obscurity. The editor or publisher who told her to tell the story from the child's point of view certainly knew her or his business.

annodomini Sat 18-Jul-15 10:31:46

I don't think 'enjoy' describes my reaction to the novel. Reading it from a 21st Century perspective is very different from the way one might have felt in the 1950s - or is it? From a socio-historical perspective it's 'interesting'. But I won't give away any spoilers.

JAS Sat 18-Jul-15 09:31:05

Not sure I want to read it now as Mockingbird is voted my best book of all time. I don't want to be disillusioned even though I may be a coward and not up to the challenging subject. Maybe Harper-Lee realised after writing it that she needed a softer side to Atticus.

Eloethan Fri 17-Jul-15 18:54:55

I feel like grandMattie. I'm not sure I want to read it. "Mockingbird, although infuriating and tragic, did promise the possibility of a change for the better. From what I've heard, that sense of hope is severely challenged in "Watchman".

But I'm thinking that perhaps it would be cowardly of me to avoid reading it just because it is challenging. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's comment was something to the effect that this new book more accurately represents real life.

Crow Fri 17-Jul-15 14:13:47

Like gma I too thoroughly enjoyed it, but it is thought provoking.

grandMattie Fri 17-Jul-15 13:58:54

Not sure if i want to read "Go Set a Watchman"; I so loved Mockingbird. Alll the reviews have slated it, leave the racism... the critics said they understood why it had never been published. Never a good comment!

gma Fri 17-Jul-15 13:01:38

Well I have finished it and I am feeling quite sad. Promise, no spoilers, but this is not a comfortable and cosy read. It really shows how what you believed as a child is not necessarily so . I had to keep reminding myself that this novel was written before 'To Kill a Mockingbird' . Scout, who now has reverted to her name. Jean Louise, finds it very difficult to understand life in Maycombe, so different from where she now lives in New York, and that her Father, Atticus Finch, is not the person that she thought he was when she was a child and he was the centre of her universe. Read it if you are able, I thoroughly enjoyed it, a tear or two accompanied the last third of the book .

vegasmags Tue 14-Jul-15 20:53:00

I've downloaded it to my Kindle today but I'm saving it for a train journey to London tomorrow.

Blinko Tue 14-Jul-15 20:44:07

And I don't know where the upper case 's' came from....

Blinko Tue 14-Jul-15 20:43:04

Read the sample on my kindle and will definitely be ordering it. I'm liking the sound and 'feel' of the narrative already. So yah boo to the nay Sayers!

Pittcity Tue 14-Jul-15 14:48:49

Read the first couple of pages and WILL find time to get stuck in.

sunseeker Tue 14-Jul-15 13:36:04

Like merlotgran I think I will have to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird before getting the latest book.

Ana Tue 14-Jul-15 13:08:11

I agree, it all sounds a bit suspect!

Poor Harper Lee...

merlotgran Tue 14-Jul-15 12:56:54

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3159745/Harper-Lees-attorney-recalls-finding-Watchman-manuscript.html

As it says at the bottom of the article, probably a shaggy dog story!

Ana Tue 14-Jul-15 12:23:57

I haven't heard any mention of a trilogy, merlot. Apparently the new book is actually the original version of To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee submitted. She was persuaded to change the angle by her editor.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jul-15 12:17:08

I need to read Mocking Bird again first. Read it twice already and still can't remember much about it. #phillistine

merlotgran Tue 14-Jul-15 11:41:44

I think I'll read To Kill A Mockingbird again before starting Go Set A Watchman.

They now think there may have been a trilogy. Nice little earner for somebody? hmm

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jul-15 10:55:55

Have on my kindle. All I need is time to actually read it confused

gma Tue 14-Jul-15 10:55:01

My copy of Go Set a Watchman has just arrived!!
Really want to start it now , BUT I've not done much house work lately....but .......whatever, housework can wait!!!
Could all gransnetters post their comments and thoughts on this much hyped book, it would be interesting to read what every body thinks about it! BUT .....NO SPOILERS, thanks!

whenim64 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:15:49

I pre-ordered it so expecting the hardback copy today. All this hype over Atticus's racism is sending it straight into the no 1 slot, I imagine.