Gransnet forums

Books/book club

October Book Club - After You by Jojo Moyes

(119 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Oct-15 10:47:54

Everyone is talking about After You, the eagerly awaited sequel to Jojo Moyes' bestseller Me Before You. We're thrilled to be featuring it as our book of the month.

Don't forget that if you received a free copy you will need to leave your comments and questions on this thread by the end of the month. (And if you didn't receive one do buy or borrow and join in!)

We will be sending a selection of the best questions over to Jojo towards the end of October. More info on the book here.

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-15 14:15:18

I didn't receive one but I just wanted to say that I read Me Before You at quite a difficult time in my life and found it to be really sad and very uplifting at the same time. I have loved every one of your books. Thank you!

sweetpea Thu 01-Oct-15 19:31:01

I didn't win either but have read Me before You twice! I also chose it for my book club choice and everyone thought what a powerful, thoughtful book. It raised lots of issues and conversation with people delving into things which they found were very close to their hearts. I can't wait to buy and read the sequel. Good writing JoJo and thank you.

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Oct-15 08:13:32

Perhaps the books haven't gone out yet? I haven't seen anyone saying they've received a copy? Fingers crossed!

joannapiano Fri 02-Oct-15 08:42:02

There is an interesting interview with the author about this book, in the Telegraph, this morning. I didn't know Me Before You was being made into a film. I really hope I receive her new book.

annodomini Fri 02-Oct-15 08:57:04

Our book group likes Jojo Moyes and Me Before You is a particular favourite. I'm looking forward to the new one and hope I'm going to be lucky enough to receive a free copy.

shysal Sat 03-Oct-15 09:18:47

I received my book this morning. Many thanks. I don't remember whether I have read the previous book, was it a GN book club choice?

shysal Sat 03-Oct-15 09:22:52

I have just checked my book of library borrowing, and see I have read 'Me Before You' and gave it a score of 9.5/10, which is very rare for me. I therefore can't wait to read the next!

EastEndGranny Sat 03-Oct-15 09:45:13

Just back from a trip to Norfolk (which incidentally is such a great place to visit) and in time to collect my copy of 'After You' from the postman. I try not to read blurbs of recommended books so that I get a surprise when I read it but couldn't resist reading the first part on the back of this book. I have often wondered what it must be like to work at an airport and everyday watch people fly off to exotic destinations. Looking forward to getting started. Thank you for my copy.

GrandmaH Sat 03-Oct-15 10:08:03

Oh thank you so much for this book which has just arrived- I loved Me Before You & my Reading Group gave it a rare 100%.
I am so looking forward to reading After You & asking Jojo some questions.
I am half way through new Kate Atkinson but as soon as I have finished it ( I read quickly!!) I shall start this book. Forget housework, gardening & anything else for that matter ( well apart from the rugby)
I'll be back soon with some questions. I do get very excited about a new book!

chrisbishop55 Sat 03-Oct-15 10:17:26

I too received a copy of After You by Jojo Moyes in this morning's post delivery. It just has a compliments slip from Penguin Random House UK with it and I have been puzzling as to where it had come from! I do enter quite a few competitions and giveaways but don't remember what I have entered! So - if it came from GransNet - thank you very much. Jojo Moyes is one of my favourite authors and I loved Me Before You so I can't wait to start reading this one.
PS Just to put my mind at rest can anyone confirm this book came from GransNet? Thank you

Nonnie Sat 03-Oct-15 10:37:43

Thank you, my copy arrived this morning. I'm looking forward to reading it.

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 11:02:47

Postie has just delivered mine. Thank you. I can't wait to dive into it.

oznan Sat 03-Oct-15 11:26:00

Thank you for the book,it has just arrived.Me Before you was so good that I am thrilled to receive a copy of After You and will be getting stuck in this evening!

granessie Sat 03-Oct-15 11:47:52

Postie has just delivered mine. thank you. Very much looking forward to getting stuck in. Will need to be after sundown as it is a beautiful day in Scotland

loopylou Sat 03-Oct-15 12:11:48

What a delightful surprise! Mine arrived a few minutes ago. Thank you very much, I loved 'Me Before You'.

eGJ Sat 03-Oct-15 12:37:32

Splendid! My copy has just arrived; ironing on hold smile THANK YOU as I SO enjoyed Me Before You flowers

eGJ Sat 03-Oct-15 12:40:20

Just read what I said before!! Now, you can all see why everything else has second place for the next few hours!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - overall rating 10/10

(From eGJ)

(From 2012) This has to be my favourite of 2012 and I have read quite a few even though we're only in January!

This book is a really good read. I won't reveal the plotlines; you read it yourselves! You will want to read until the last full stop and not put it down. It will make you laugh out loud, but cry as well. This is one of those books that will stay with you long after you've read it. Me Before You is more than a romantic tale as it is a tale of courage, life and making choices in life.

Duncruin Sat 03-Oct-15 13:01:00

Love this author. Can't wait to read this book.

nannabo Sat 03-Oct-15 13:41:19

Just received Me Before You by Jojo Moyes really looking forward to reading it. Thank you Gransnet for sending me all these lovely books makes my month smile

sweetpea Sat 03-Oct-15 14:35:57

Forget my previous post, the postman brought me a lovely surprise this morning! After you by JoJo has arrived, thank you so much Gransnet, looking forward to reading it. smile

Auntieflo Sat 03-Oct-15 14:40:39

Thank you Gransnet. The book had been posted through our letter box while we were out this morning. I have only read one of JoJo Moyes books before, " The Peacock Emporium" , which I loved. It took me a while to " suss" it, but then I was away. I am not a particularly fast reader, but hope to finish it in time for the QA at the end of October. As I haven't read "Me Before You", will it matter?

sylwright Sat 03-Oct-15 15:02:50

Thanks for my copy, arrived this morning, looking forward to reading it as never read any books by this author before.

Happygran65 Sat 03-Oct-15 15:17:06

I received my book this morning and I am about to start to read it. Thank you very much, I am delighted.

Gagagran Sat 03-Oct-15 15:22:07

Another happy camper here! My copy arrived at lunchtime. Thank you dear GN - you spoil us with treats like this wonderful book! smile