Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club - A Good Catch by Fern Britton

(65 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:06:26

The winners of this month's book - more HERE - should be receiving their copies very shortly. If you're one of the lucky ones, please leave your comments and questions for Fern on this thread before the end of May. Happy reading!

mumofmadboys Tue 03-May-16 09:03:08

I received my copy this morning. Thanks very much and I look forward to starting reading it.

jane999 Tue 03-May-16 11:09:02

Received this morning, thank you will enjoy reading.

Roxannediane Tue 03-May-16 11:20:23

Just received my copy, how exciting!! Time to put the kindle down... I love the feel of a good book in my hands - thank you gransnet !

GrannyGlyn Tue 03-May-16 11:51:34

Thanks for my copy too!

bookiemad15 Tue 03-May-16 11:54:57

Just received my copy too thanks. I was wondering if Fern bases her stories on a particular place and if she has a favourite place in Cornwall?

gillyknits Tue 03-May-16 11:59:30

Thank you so much for this lovely book. I will start it as soon as I've finished reading The Martian.

gillyknits Tue 03-May-16 12:00:58

Thank you so much for the copy of Fern's latest book.

Teresainwirral Tue 03-May-16 12:46:51

Thank you, received the book this morning.

JillMay Tue 03-May-16 13:49:24

Thank you. I have just received my book and I am looking forward to reading it.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 03-May-16 14:01:14

Received my copy of 'A Good Catch' this morning - thank you! Looking forward to reading it as I haven't read anything by Fern Britton yet.

chelseababy Tue 03-May-16 16:16:55

Came home to find a small package in the porch. Started cursing Amazon for sendinģ my order to me instead of my mother. Lovely surprise when I opened it to find the book, first time I've been successful. Look forward to reading it on polling day! (Im clerking)

Redpaws Tue 03-May-16 17:30:09

Received my copy of 'A good catch'. I've never read anything by Fern Britton, so looking forward to reading it, as I like her sense of humour!

Miriam Wed 04-May-16 14:13:05

Received A Good Catch yesterday thank you and will be starting it tomorrow when I finish the book I am reading at the moment. Really looking forward to reading it.

jeberdes83 Wed 04-May-16 15:35:44

Many thanks for "A Good Catch". I look forward to reading it. I pass my books on first to my DiL, and then to others in the block of flats (for the elderly!)in which I live. Am currently reading an old KenFollett.!

tiggers Wed 04-May-16 19:02:32

Many thanks for my copy, which arrived in the post yesterday. Having read and enjoyed "The Holiday Home" by Fern, I am looking forward to reading "A Good Catch".

changeznameza Wed 04-May-16 19:58:49

Thank you so much, my copy has arrived and I have already started it! Looks fab. I will post my question(s) soon and will keep an eye on this thread. Love Fern smile

changeznameza Wed 04-May-16 19:59:57

I meant "I love Fern" (not "love from Fern" - I am not, in fact, Fern) grin

sarah2000h Thu 05-May-16 10:16:19

Many thanks for the book. I am enjoying reading it. I was wondering if it was based on Fern's life?

granh1 Thu 05-May-16 15:44:42

My book arrived, thank you I will look forward to reading it.

Pamaga Fri 06-May-16 08:29:01

I read this book in its entirety yesterday. Admittedly it was sunny and I was sitting outside for over two hours but I think I completed it in around four hours. I normally don't read this type of novel and suspected it would be one by a 'celeb' produced on the coat tails of their fame rather than for any literary merit. So, I was pleasantly surprised. OK, it was a tad predictable but I found the characters believable and the setting authentic. I was sufficiently hooked in to want to know the outcome.
Thank you so much, Gransnet, for introducing me to Fern the author: I may well read more of hers now!

cde58 Fri 06-May-16 18:58:21

Very pleased to receive my copy of the book the other day. I - like a previous poster - have sat in the sun for a few hours the last couple of days and read through the book. I didn't have high hopes but stayed with it to the end. I was a bit disappointed with the ending , which I think could have been worked on a bit more, but over all it was an easy enjoyable read - with some good local touches.

Chichachongawonga Sat 07-May-16 11:51:41

I have not read one of her books before and was pleasantly surprised. Her descriptive talent transformed me instantly, I could hear the sea and smell the salty sea air every time I opened the book (the sun was always shining too but that was probably my own poetic licence smile). Lies, sex, secrets and romantic thoughts abound reflecting true life. I always wanted to know what the women were keeping quiet about and it interested me from start to finish. Excellent holiday reading.

Craftycat Sun 08-May-16 11:34:39

Stuck with leg in plaster I read this book very quickly too.
I liked the descriptions of Cornwall- a county I know well. I also thought the atmosphere of the place was captured well but I did find the characters somewhat one dimensional. I got fed up of being constantly reminded that Loveday was on the large side & Greer was slim as if that defined their characters.
I was very disappointed in the ending & also the total unreality of what happened with Grant & the final outcome- no spoilers! Are all the police force in Cornwall total idiots & have never heard of forensics?? I think not.
However on the whole it was an easy read & it was good for a couple of hot afternoons in the garden. A good beach book.
I usually tend to avoid celebrity authors but I like Fern Britton which is why I wanted to read this book & I think she did a good job.

Elizabeth180 Tue 10-May-16 18:44:03

I received the book a few days ago, for which many, many thanks. I'm just trying to finish another book before I start this one, but I'm really looking forward to reading it after the many positive comments from other Gransnetters.