Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club - This Must Be the Place

(70 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-May-17 11:11:57

Copies of this should be landing on the doormats of the 50 winners very shortly. If you don't get one, why not buy or borrow a copy and join the conversation? More about the book here.

If you do get a free copy, don't forget you will need to add your thoughts and/or questions for Maggie O'Farrell on this thread before the end of May

Galen Tue 02-May-17 11:20:48

Mine has just arrived. Thank you.
I'll take it on my cruise! Just imagine me sitting reading it on my balcony while the butler pours me another vodka water

Pittcity Tue 02-May-17 12:17:02

Mine has arrived too. I shall be reading it at home and making my own cuppa envy

Buddie Tue 02-May-17 12:51:19

My copy has just been delivered. Many thanks. Just one chapter left in my current book and I can make a start.

Waveney Tue 02-May-17 12:57:32

Thank you for my copy which arrived this morning. I have just finished my previous book so it is excellent timing!

Greenfinch Tue 02-May-17 13:35:11

Thanks for mine which arrived this morning.

Gagagran Tue 02-May-17 13:39:53

I got a copy this morning too - thank you GN. Look forward to starting it!

Mapleleaf Tue 02-May-17 14:31:51

My copy arrived today. Looking forward to starting it. Thank you GN.

rocketstop Tue 02-May-17 14:46:48

Thank you for my copy..Arrived today.

LadyGracie Tue 02-May-17 15:12:58

Thank you, my copy just arrived, will start reading NOW!

Atqui Tue 02-May-17 17:15:00

Oh no... Missed my chance while we had grandchildren staying Inexpect. I love Maggie O s books.

cornergran Wed 03-May-17 03:58:53

Mine was waiting when I got back from a day out. Many thanks GN. no cruise envy or butler but Mr C makes a mean cup of tea. smile

merlotgran Wed 03-May-17 09:08:03

Mine has arrived as well. Looking forward to a change from WW2 grin

Many thanks, Gransnet.

Maggiemaybe Wed 03-May-17 09:10:06

Mine's here too. Thank you! I hope it lives up to the last one, which I really enjoyed.

weather Wed 03-May-17 17:28:39

many thanks for my book received yesterday...I will be back when I have read it

Rinouchka Thu 04-May-17 16:53:18

Just returned from a working week away to find my copy. Thank you!

GG62 Thu 04-May-17 21:04:33

Hi all you lucky readers! Another month that I have been unlucky. Out of interest- how many times have you all applied before getting lucky?

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-May-17 23:53:53

I think I was lucky the first time, GG62 smile. I'd guess I get 50% of the books, perhaps slightly more, which is lovely. But I had a run of 6 or 7 months last year without a single one. Fingers crossed for you for next time.

Greenfinch Fri 05-May-17 06:52:15

I am exactly the same as Maggie.I have had a good run lately but had fewer last year.

Pittcity Fri 05-May-17 08:31:44

Same here, enter every month, none for ages and then three in a row! Luck of the draw but with a good chance of success.
I read the threads when I don't win and sometimes buy the book if the reviews are good.

eGJ Mon 08-May-17 21:31:38

Mine arrived last week and it took over my weekend. When you get used to the skipping about hither and yon in time and place it is a page turner. I was going to give up as I became disconcerted by the time warps! However I persevered and am glad I did. What a journey with Claudette! Question for Maggie: what gave you the idea for the auction catalogue chapter? That is unique and such fun!! No spoilers here for the rest of you! I hope you enjoy it and don't give up, but continue to the end?

inishowen Wed 10-May-17 12:02:07

Mine arrived a few days ago and I'm thrilled. Maggie O'Farrell is my favourite author. Are you likely to set one of your books in Northern Ireland Maggie? I know you come from NI, and it's where I live.

Waveney Sun 21-May-17 15:24:30

I am going to be careful not to include spoilers in my review, as I can see that not many people have posted on this thread recently. It took a while for me to get into this book, because of the frequent changes in focus but as I got further into the story I enjoyed it more. I thought at first the story was going to be about Claudette, but actually I thought it was more about Daniel, and I wonder if the author would agree with me.
I liked the way the various threads were drawn together over time and how each part affected the whole. Half way through reading this I was at a family wedding and it made me reflect on how many stories contribute to our family story.
I also felt that the importance of our children was an important
highlight. I appreciated the author's notes at the end reflecting on how she had put the story together. I wasn't familiar with this author, but I will certainly look out for her other novels.

Gagagran Sun 21-May-17 15:41:27

I have struggled with this book. I found the continuity a problem as I tried to keep track of what stage the characters were at and I thought it jumped around too much for easy reading.

I found Rosalind a bit pointless and we never got to the bottom of her character. The story seemed a little thin to me and,dare I say it,it got a bit boring and some chapters could have been pruned without affecting the narrative.

I'd like to ask Maggie if Claudette was modelled on anyone (Greta Garbo?) or is she a composite of spoiled filmstars?

LadyGracie Mon 22-May-17 15:21:56

I started this book and read a few chapters and found it hard going, I picked it up about a week later and had to start all over again.

I didn't enjoy it, it was too disjointed and the characters didn't feel at all real to me.

About two thirds through I thought 'if this had been a library book I would have given up ages ago'.