Gransnet forums

Books/book club

June book club - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

(98 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 31-May-17 11:41:39

Winners of this much talked about debut novel - more details here - should be receiving their copies shortly. If you do get one, don't forget to leave your comments and questions for author Gail Honeyman on this thread by the end of the month

Worlass Sat 24-Jun-17 18:18:10

Many thanks for my copy. Just finished my last 'read' and looking forward to reading about Eleanor Oliphant.

chloe1984 Sat 24-Jun-17 18:53:14

Thank you my copy has arrived his morning am looking forward to reading and feeding back

obag Sun 25-Jun-17 10:08:33

Received my copy today can't wait to finish my book. so can start this one will leave review ASAP Thanks GN

Lowslung1 Sun 25-Jun-17 13:17:09

Wonderful book - I loved every word of it! I laughed in parts and shed a tear here and there, and could barely put the book down.
Eleanor is such an unworldly character, she is fixed in her own rigid world where anything that intrudes knocks her off balance, and so much of modern life is a total mystery to her. It is nice to see the real Eleanor emerge, painful though it may be at times!
A real joy! More please from Gail Honeyman

Worlass Mon 26-Jun-17 11:24:07

Aww! From the first page of the book I was drawn into the life of Eleanor Oliphant. So unworldly and yet so right-minded, her character wraps itself around the reader like a soft, comforting blanket and produces a warm glow inside.
The book is well-written and unputdownable. I read it in one day and was sorry when I came to the end. The story unfurls steadily, leading to an unexpected climax. Interaction between characters is believable, often causing a lump in the throat or a laugh out loud.
Thank you, Gail Honeyman for a cracking good read, and hope it's not too long before your next book.

GeminiJen Mon 26-Jun-17 14:02:03

Received my copy today.....and see that some of you have read it already....Better get my skates on grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 26-Jun-17 14:55:56

Let's aim for mid July for reviews and questions. As you will see from those who have posted, it's a fast read (I couldn't put it down either). Delighted those who have read so far have loved it too

tiggers Mon 26-Jun-17 16:33:29

'Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans' and, eventually and thankfully so, in Eleanor's case, as it provides her escape and release. Gail - what, if anything in particular, triggered the storyline? Was it based loosely on a newspaper article you'd read or just a randomly formulated idea?

rocketstop Tue 27-Jun-17 10:20:38

Thank you for the book, I shall return in due course with comments !!

Peanut Tue 27-Jun-17 14:44:23

Thank you for my copy GN , getting started now.

weather Wed 28-Jun-17 11:51:24

Thank you so much for the free copy..received last week. I started reading it straight away and finished it yesterday..couldn't wait for an opportunity to pick it up and read more. Such a delight to read, and plenty of large smiling moments with the thoughts "I have been there..seen it.. done it" Many thanks to the author who has put in such a lot of time, effort and research can't wait for the next one.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Jun-17 20:10:04

I've just got home from holiday to find my copy, so thank you, GN! About to get cracking on it now.

eGJ Thu 29-Jun-17 09:44:11

Finished this and thoroughly enjoyed both the pathos and the smiles. My favourite quotation is this I purchased it in a charity shop some years ago, and it has a photograph of a moon-faced man. He is wearing a brown leather blouson. Along the top, in strange yellow font, it says ‘Top Gear’. I don’t profess to understand this mug. It holds the perfect amount of vodka, however, thereby obviating the need for frequent refills That had me nearly falling off the sofa!!
Question for Gail I celebrated with Eleanor as she made her journey; have you another such character awaiting us....(please!)

Waveney Thu 29-Jun-17 10:04:53

I am really enjoying Eleanor Oliphant ( I am two thirds through) and the quote above had me giggling too! However, I have a problem as a second copy has just popped through my door (I didn't enter twice under an assumed name, honestly!) Gransnet, what shall I do - my first thought was to donate it to a local charity shop? Advice appreciated!

Parsleywin Thu 29-Jun-17 10:35:41

I've just received a second copy too! And immediately had the same thought as Waveney, about donating it locally. Please advise, GN.

weather Thu 29-Jun-17 10:39:43

just received a second copy too I will pass it on to my daughter in law, if thats ok

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Jun-17 10:58:55

Ah... I'd just convinced myself that today's copy had come from another source, but it looks as though you've sent me two as well. smile Awaiting further instructions!

Pittcity Thu 29-Jun-17 11:02:13

I've received a second copy too.....?????

joannapiano Thu 29-Jun-17 11:34:44

So have I! Am really enjoying the book, so far.

PoshGran Thu 29-Jun-17 12:26:01

Also received 2nd copy of Eleanor Oliphant!? hmm

Moocow Thu 29-Jun-17 14:09:58

I've received a second copy too! Awaiting news from GN as to what they would like done with it. Donate to a friend/charity/library or return? The first copy arrived while I was laid up in bed and so it was a lovely welcome surprise as I really liked the idea of the character. I'm just over half way through it and have now had to put it to one side to catch up on things now I'm back on my feet, however while I am really enjoying the book I am a little disappointed that we have not been able to read about the main character's daily life before so many changes rushed in. All of a sudden so much is happening and so I don't feel the character is as different as others out there. However, I am enjoying it and am excited to find out what develops before the end.

cornergran Thu 29-Jun-17 14:45:40

I also have a duplicate book, just delivered with much door knocking and bell ringing from the postman. Had thought to pass it to a fellow GN gran. Hope that's OK.

Mapleleaf Thu 29-Jun-17 15:01:02

I can add to the above posts, too! Second copy was on the floor when I opened the door this afternoon. Would you like me to donate it to the local library?

Gagagran Thu 29-Jun-17 15:54:03

I have just finished reading this touching book and absolutely loved it!

Eleanor was such a sad and damaged character in many ways but indomitable and funny too and I loved Raymond and the way she began to flower under his caring friendship. I am hoping against hope that the author, Gail Honeyman, is busy writing a sequel to this very moving story.

Please do tell us Gail - is there a happy ending for them and are you writing part 2 of their story? (Hope so!)

Greenfinch Thu 29-Jun-17 19:08:09

I have received a second copy too!!