Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(449 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

GrannyA11i Mon 12-Jun-17 17:59:03

If you like historical things with a bit of time travel and relationships - Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is very good. They are big books and 9 so far so lots to keep you going! If you like scary weird ones - Behind Her Eyes was quite good!

Thirdinline Tue 13-Jun-17 15:41:53

I've just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and can highly recommend it, if you haven't already read it. It covers ancient Mexican and 20th century American history.

callgirl1 Tue 13-Jun-17 16:38:09

I`m reading a book that was passed on to me, The Missing Wife, by Sheila O`Flanagan. It`s okaaaaay, but not really my sort of read, I will finish it though.

Morgana Tue 13-Jun-17 18:14:03

I have just started I am pilgrim. It is very long! I quite like Tim Winton. Australian writer. He was being interviewed today on radio. Enjoyed Cloud street and Breath very much.

SueDonim Tue 13-Jun-17 20:17:59

I'm a third the way though Jodi Picoult's book Small Great Things, about a black nurse and a white supremacist in the US.

My last novel was The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry, set in the 19th century. I enjoyed it although I'm not sure it's quite as good as everyone says.

Eloethan Wed 14-Jun-17 00:27:08

I've just finished The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. I found it rather disappointing and a bit depressing.

Sar53 Wed 14-Jun-17 17:11:17

I'm reading The Shadow Sister by Lucinda Riley. This is the third book in a series and just as good as the previous two.

Newquay Thu 15-Jun-17 08:24:04

Well, I heard someone on radio say that Jilly Cooper's books are underrated and are comparable to Trollope and that some folks read them with a different cover.
At the time DH was in hospital for several weeks. So I found one of Jilly's-Mount-at our lovely local library. I had just read an Alan Tichmarsh book, Bring me Home, so I took that to the hospital to give to my sister to read but I kept the cover and put it on Mount! Lol! Well, it gave me and DH a smile.
I am enjoying it but am overwhelmed by so many characters-mind still fuddled with all the nursing going on. . . .
Have been reading recently some Simon Kernick thrillers lately-very rapid pace and unputdownable. Ideal when keeping long watches alongside a sick relative's bed.

TerriBull Thu 15-Jun-17 08:59:51

Recently finished The Essex Serpent which is still in my head, I'm not really enjoying the crime book I'm reading at the moment "Where the Bodies are Buried", but 3/4 through I'll probably keeping going. I enjoyed a previous book by the author Chris Brookmyre, but this is not my cup of tea Glasgow gang war.

Sara53 I have also read the first two of the Lucinda Riley books in the series you referred to, enjoyed the first one more than the second one, "The Shadow Sister" is on my shelf so I will be starting that soon.

TerriBull Thu 15-Jun-17 09:02:04

Just read your comment Sue Donim re The Essex Serpent, I agree, I enjoyed it very much, but maybe a little over hyped?

callgirl1 Thu 15-Jun-17 18:17:17

The Missing Wife turned out to not be at all bad, but won`t make a habit of that sort of book though. Am now reading A Nurse`s Courage, by Maggie Holt, set during WW1.

SueDonim Thu 15-Jun-17 20:40:55

Yes, a bit overhyped, Terribull. I'd say don't let that put anyone off reading it, as it's a good story, but I don't think it's top class. smile

TerriBull Sat 17-Jun-17 12:45:07

Just started reading "The Girls" which I see is on GN Summer Reads book list, have also read the "Girl Before" from that list, the latter was quite a good thriller, obligatory twist at the end if I remember rightly.

callgirl1 Sat 17-Jun-17 18:38:07

A Nurse`s Courage was a lovely read. My next book is going to be Heart and Home, by Lyn Andrews.

sunseeker Sun 18-Jun-17 11:16:39

I have just finished Michael McIntyre's autobiography, funny and sad - he had a tough time getting started. I am currently reading The Definitive Book of Body Language -can't say I am learning much as most of it is quite obvious but as I am halfway through I will finish it. For easy reading thrillers I like Lee Child (the Jack Reacher series)

callgirl1 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:16:00

I LOVE Jack Reacher! Heart and Home is quite good so far, but haven`t read much yet.

mimiro Sun 18-Jun-17 13:28:29

the whisperer by donato carrisi

crime

MargaretX Sun 18-Jun-17 16:47:25

There is a lot to go at - so many books. I like a good autobiography and amazon just sent me the last in Alan Johnson's trilogy. I always wait for the paperback edition

I still like Ruth Rendell and Peter Lovesy for crime.

TerriBull Sun 18-Jun-17 21:00:12

Finished "The Girls" this morning, not a particularly thick, just 350 pages or so. This is a book that has had a lot of praise heaped on it from serious publications such as The Wall Street Journal, The Times, The Guardian, so maybe I was expecting more. The narrative switches between present day and West Coast America of 1969 when the main character, Evie aged 14, becomes caught up in a Mansonesque cult and anyone who remembers the end of the '60s will be familiar with the scenario. The writer has borrowed heavily from the crime, but gives very little detail surrounding the immediate aftermath, it all fell a bit flat. I keep feeling this about books that are hyped up, they don't live up to the expectation.

chelseababy Wed 21-Jun-17 20:50:09

Graham Norton's debut novel Holding. Is on Kindle for 99p. It has good reviews. Ive downloaded if for a holiday read.

callgirl1 Wed 21-Jun-17 21:55:08

Heart and Home turned out quite well. I followed it with A Summer at Sea, by Katie Fforde, nice story. I`ve just started The Runaway Actress, by Victoria Connelly, looks like another of the sort I don`t usually read, a light hearted romance type of book, but it might be OK.

TerriBull Wed 05-Jul-17 08:56:20

Read a couple of good books whilst I was away on holiday, first being the "Lie of the Land", Sunday Times reviewed this a couple of weeks ago very favourably. About a London couple, down on their luck jobs wise, who want to divorce, but can't sell their house, so make a pact to relocate to rural Devon and rent a ramshackle farmhouse for a year whilst letting their own property in the meantime. Lots of different strands, but at the heart N1 couple living in the London bubble finding out what life is like in a rural idyll without the opportunities of London. Lots of different strands including the reality of sheep farming and an unsolved recent murder that took place at their rental home. Nearly finished 2nd book, "The Girlfriend" which I know was a GN book of the month a while back, gripping one of the best I've read of this type of genre. . My husband's passed me his latest book "Love like blood" by Mark Billingham, I've never read him before, but he tells me it's good, about honour killings. I'll start it after I've finished "The Girlfriend"

callgirl1 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:13:45

I`ve just finished The Bone Collection, by Kathy Reichs, a collection of 4 short Temperance Brennan stories. Alright, but the stories were over too soon, not a lot of build up in the plots. I`m now reading The Kept Woman, by Karin Slaughter, great so far.

Imperfect27 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:37:34

Have you finished it yet? I have just read it and can honestly say it is one of the best books I have read for a long time ... really has made me think about my own attitudes! Sometimes had to give myself a breather before or after Turk chapters. I think it would make a good film - some of t seemed written with scenes in mind.