Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club - The Colour of Bee Larkham's Murder

(79 Posts)
granfromafar Wed 02-May-18 12:43:15

Thanks very much to GN for the copy of The Colour of Bee Larkham's Murder which arrived today. Thought it unusual that the title was not on the front cover but I look forward to reading it.

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-May-18 13:25:42

I was delighted to receive my copy today too, and look forward to starting it. Thank you!

I wondered about the cover too. It says on the back that the book is an uncorrected proof and not for sale, so perhaps this has something to do with it?

Pittcity Wed 02-May-18 13:41:33

I've got one too and was a bit confused by the cover too. No note in the parcel so had to double check that it was from GN.
Looks intriguing, will get stuck in!

matson Wed 02-May-18 13:50:56

Thank you for my copy of Bee Larkham's Murder, hoping it's an interesting read.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 14:15:56

I received my copy today too and was rather confused as I thought it was the wrong book, or was not from GN, as the title is on the side of the book and something different on the front cover.
At least I succeeded this time! Must have done something right smile
I'll put my other book 'on hold' while I read this one.

Greenfinch Wed 02-May-18 14:24:49

Thanks for my copy too. Another one confused by the front cover.

Mapleleaf Wed 02-May-18 14:40:53

Not just me a bit confused at first, then. ?
Arrived today, looking forward to starting it when I‘ve finished the one I’m reading at the moment.
Thank you, gransnet.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-May-18 16:10:45

Hello all - you beat us to it with the thread...but delighted the books have arrived. For anyone who would like to know more about the book click HERE

And yes - I understand you have been sent proof copies as the hardbacks were not yet ready (it only publishes tomorrow) so don't worry about the cover - the story is exactly the same and look forward to hearing your thoughts and your questions for Sarah

knickas63 Wed 02-May-18 16:34:48

Hi
How to you get to be considered for a free book please?

welshmaiden Wed 02-May-18 16:53:36

many thanks for my copy of the above book - like someone else said I had to check to find out where it came from! maybe a compliments slip or something in with books would solve the problem. looking forward to reading this over the bank holiday weekend!

PoshGran Wed 02-May-18 17:06:48

My copy also arrived today - thank you GN - looking forward to reading it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-May-18 17:09:11

knickas63

Hi
How to you get to be considered for a free book please?

We launch the book for the next month midway through the month before (so we will launch the June book mid May) We put this in our newsletter and on the books page of the site and elsewhere on site too. Everyone who enters gets put in a hat and we pull out 50 names at random to receive a copy - if you do get one you need to leave your thoughts and/or questions for the author on the specified thread

EthelJ Wed 02-May-18 19:38:12

I have also received a copy, thank you! I look forward to reading it. It sounds very interesting

NonnaW Wed 02-May-18 19:42:02

My copy arrived today too, thanks very much. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Elrel Thu 03-May-18 01:14:52

Many thanks! Thrilled to get this book and can't wait to read more of it. I've just read to page 32 and am really into it.
Reminiscent of Mark Haddon's 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' which impressed the whole family, so much so that we all went to the equally impressive play!

Pittcity Thu 03-May-18 08:41:31

I'd love to know what colour I am!

gillyknits Thu 03-May-18 10:20:13

Thank you so much, as I too received a copy of the May book club book. I’m really looking forward to reading it.

harrigran Thu 03-May-18 12:06:30

Thank you for my copy, forgot to check my mail box yesterday. I too was confused becuse I have done a few competitions for book giveaways in magazines.
Look forward to reading it, thanks.

humptydumpty Thu 03-May-18 12:09:17

Thanks too for my copy - just before I went to my local book club, and when they asked me what it was called, I couldn't say as had only looked at the cover!

GranEd Fri 04-May-18 09:49:47

Thanks for my copy which arrived yesterday.I’m looking forward to reading it.

Biddysue Fri 04-May-18 10:19:53

Thanks for sending me this book!
I am gripped already and have only just read two chapters.
Sarah Harris’s description of seeing people and feelings as colours is fascinating. I already feel for this 13 year old and his dad and how difficult life must be when no one understands how life is for someone who sees things differently.
I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book as soon as I can .

Elrel Sun 06-May-18 18:41:09

I've met people who say apologetically that they can't remember faces. I'm assuming that most people with the condition have a less extreme version than Jasper. Hundreds of pupils in the same school uniform must be overwhelming, even terrifying to anyone with the condition.
The story is intriguing and the conclusion satisfying with all loose ends neatly gathered up. It has left me with more interest in parakeets and a wish that I could see Jasper's fictional artwork. It sounds so beautiful.
I was always intrigued by the names of the little square colours in my shiny black box of watercolour as a child. Now I need to know the history of each one, fascinating!

My question for the author is:
Have you met people with either or both of Jasper's conditions? Especially is there anyone among your family or close friends?

EthelJ Thu 10-May-18 10:49:11

Thank you gransnet for this book which I very much enjoyed. I have been struggling to describe it's genre but I think I would say it's a mystery seen through the eyes of someone who sees things differently from most other people.
I was intrigued by what had happened to Bee and found myself at various times thinking Jasper has misunderstood everything, to he must be right to maybe there is another answer. The conclusion was satisfying and made complete sense.
I also learnt a lot from this book. I had no idea there were wild parakeets in the UK and was intrigued enough to research them.
I also enjoyed the challenge of trying to see things from a completely different perspective. I often struggle to recognise faces especially if if I see people out of context. But not to the extent Jasper does, that alone must make life very difficult. I had heard about people who see speech in colours but knew nothing about it, so reading Jasper's descriptions was a joy.
In conclusion I think this is a multi layered, griping book with interesting characters I wanted to know more about.
I would like to ask the author

1. what made her decide to give Jasper such a range of differences? (Autism, face blindness and seeing colours?)
2. Does she know anyone with these conditions, how much research did she have to do?
3. Bees story is interesting. Where did she get her inspiration from to develop her
4. Jasper describes his mother as also seeing colours. Is this a genetic condition?

Many thanks

gillybob Thu 10-May-18 11:15:08

Thank you so much for my book too. I'm about a quarter of the way through and enjoying it very much. Not sure what I think about Jasper or his dad yet though. Is the dad protecting Jasper or himself? Did he do it? Is she even dead? hmm

EastEndGranny Fri 11-May-18 07:38:09

Many thanks for my copy. Started it this week and am enjoying it. Immediate reaction is how strange it must be see things in colour and how frustrating life must be for both Jasper AND his Dad.