Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone able to recommend a book as good as this please?

(140 Posts)
Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 07:21:47

I have just finished “The Heart’s Invisible Furies” by John Boyne. One of those books you don’t want to end. Funny, sad, wonderful. Feel that Cyril Avery is an old friend. Now feeling bereft and cannot find anything I want to read. Help!

travelsafar Fri 05-Oct-18 07:25:37

There are several books by the same author on Amazon, take a look.

notnecessarilywiser Fri 05-Oct-18 07:26:59

Have you read "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman? My feelings about this echo yours about "The Heart's Invisible Furies", which I'll be reading very soon.

Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 07:28:14

No, I haven’t not, will look out for it, thank you.

hillwalker70 Fri 05-Oct-18 08:19:47

A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale, or anything by him, he is the most wonderful author.

Jane10 Fri 05-Oct-18 08:33:17

'A man called Ove' is wonderful as is a sequel 'Britt Marie was here'. I'm sorry I've read them as I'd love to read them again for the first time (if you know what I mean!)

Greyduster Fri 05-Oct-18 08:43:05

I’ve only read one of John Boyne’s books; ‘The House of Special Purpose’. It was very moving, especially the ending.

GabriellaG Fri 05-Oct-18 10:27:43

I recently read The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (think that was the title)
A very thought provoking book but not by any means 'heavy going'.
I usually read non-fiction...Russian and American politics and (auto)biographies amongst others on economics.

LuckyFour Fri 05-Oct-18 10:31:28

Didn't like A Man Called Ove, it was silly and unbelievable.
Try one of Robert Galbraith's (J.K. Rowling) Cormoran Strike books, start with the first.

GabriellaG Fri 05-Oct-18 10:34:47

* Correction. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

GabriellaG Fri 05-Oct-18 10:36:15

It's purely a matter of taste, like food and wine...and many other things.

lilahloo Fri 05-Oct-18 10:50:38

I loved A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - was so sad when I finished it.

Tamayra Fri 05-Oct-18 10:54:59

Harmony House by Ruth Hay
A wonderful story of empowered women Funny & insightful smile

Maybelle Fri 05-Oct-18 11:00:48

Really enjoyed the unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry.
There is a companion book. Telling the story from another's viewpoint.
The love song of Miss Queenie Hennessy.
Interesting to read both sides of the story.

evianers Fri 05-Oct-18 11:11:14

The Miniaturist - set in 18th C. Amsterdam. Wonderfully evocative, especially if you have visited the city. Can thoroughly recommend it. Evian my German student enjoyed reading it in English

stanlaw Fri 05-Oct-18 11:14:04

I've been in a book club for two years and our unanimous opinion of the best book so far is "All the light we cannot see" by Anthony Doerr.
Personally loved Harold Fry and Queenie Hennessy and any Patrick Gale as well.

Terrystred Fri 05-Oct-18 11:21:36

Red Joan by Jennie Rooney. Really enjoyed this, even though I'm not usually interested in spies!

nannypiano Fri 05-Oct-18 11:21:48

A bit off original subject, but finding it amazing. A few months ago I joined our library's borrow e books for free. Also audio books on all subjects. I have never read so many books and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I wonder if anyone else has discovered this amazing way of reading

Lancslass1 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:24:24

I know that we don't all have the same tastes in books but I have ordered from the library ,the two books by John Boyne which were recommended .
Thank you .
I would like to know -going off at a bit of a tangent -if other bloggers are tired of books which have each chapter written by a different person and which go backwards and forwards in time just to add to the confusion..
I think this is "Creative Writing"!
Quite often a young woman finds a diary in the attic which belonged to her great grandmother who was a maid at the "big house -or similar- .and it all starts from there

Lancslass1 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:28:00

I have started to reread books I read as a teenager which were bought each month from The Book Club,World Books and Companion Book Club by my parents.
My all time favourite is "Children of the Archbishop " by Norman Collins.
It is delightful.
I also like AJ Cronin
These can be picked up cheaply from Charity Shops or Amazon.

Opelessgran15 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:28:54

Completely different to those you mentioned, but Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine, by Gail Honeyman is a wonderful read, also Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans.I found myself wondering how all the characters in each got on in life after the books ended.

cassandra264 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:31:07

Loved Harold Fry and All the Light We Cannot See.

But please, all of you - read this true story by Alison White, published this year by Faber and Faber.I got it from the library first - and then bought it. It is called 'Letter to Louis' and has been described as' a moving account of raising a son with cerebral palsy.' It is beautifully written - and I cannot believe that any woman who has had a child would not be touched by it. smile

annifrance Fri 05-Oct-18 11:36:58

just read The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain and loved it.also loved All the Light … and Eleanor Oliphant ...

humptydumpty Fri 05-Oct-18 11:49:53

My daughter gave me a new book recently by John Boyne for my birthday: a ladder to the sky - I really enjoyed it.

humptydumpty Fri 05-Oct-18 11:51:11

..then there's Old Baggage, The Colour of Bee Larkham's Murder, and Three Things About Elsie, all from GN book giveaway