Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Reading matter in the bathroom.

(48 Posts)
shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 18:28:46

I have fixed a little book-sized shelf for this purpose. A permanent occupant is The New Uxbridge English Dictionary by the I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue team, into which I dip briefly for a chuckle, enjoyed by visitors. There is also always the book that I am currently reading, as the bath is the place where I read the most. This week it is a Duncan Kincaid murder mystery by Deborah Crombie.
Am I weird or do you also have reading material in your bathroom or loo?

Fennel Fri 12-Apr-19 18:42:17

I keep a recent copy of the Guardian next to our toilet. Not that I think it's rubbish, it needs relaxed reading.

GrandmaMags Fri 12-Apr-19 18:51:11

In our bathroom at the moment is a newsletter on canal restoration (DH), copies of Readers' Digest because the stories are short and are easily dippable in and out of. There is also the book "i before e (except after c)" by Judy Parkinson - old-school ways to remember stuff, fascinating......

paddyann Fri 12-Apr-19 20:38:52

I think its disgusting,think of the germs in the bathroom ,especially if you flush without closing the lid.I never understood why you would read in the loo .

sodapop Fri 12-Apr-19 20:50:29

Totally agree Paddyann My books are too important to me to be taken into the bathroom,

aggie Fri 12-Apr-19 21:11:17

I keep an old Kindle on the bathroom cabinet blush

mcem Fri 12-Apr-19 21:12:18

Me too paddy and soda - disgusting habit which has always been banned here!
No-one in my family does this!
If you've a healthy, functioning digestive system you aren't in there long enough to read anything.
The thought of someone strolling in, tablet in hand and settling down to browse through Gransnet........yeeeuch!!

tanith Fri 12-Apr-19 21:25:11

Must admit I do think it’s unhygenic especially if there are numerous people handling them but each to their own.

shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 21:30:22

I expect some of you also think it disgusting that I wallow in my own filth in the bath reading my book! smile I once dropped a library book in the water and had to 'come clean' and pay for it. Due to my RA that hour's bath in the morning is the only time I am truly comfortable and free from aches and pains. I am not one who worries much about 'germs'.

Mamissimo Fri 12-Apr-19 21:40:23

If you follow the unhygienic logic you must never touch a library book or a charity shop bargain or a menu in a restaurant or pub.....and think of the library trolley in hospital!.....

mcem Fri 12-Apr-19 21:48:05

Nonsense. We are all aware of basic hygiene rules and that doesn't include a bath!
How confident are you that others a) don't also handle books and b) do actually wash hands?
No - far more sensible to discourage!

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:03:51

I think reading in the bath is fine, apart from the fact that you must need a lot of hot water to keep warm.

Don't like the idea of reading matter in the toilet though. It's just got the 'yuk factor'.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:36:12

This is what makes GN so deliciously quirky ?

There is a mundane question asked about reading material in the bathroom, an everyday occurrence which in theory should provide some passing interest.
Instead we find a quiver full of grans absolutely appalled at the thought of all the bacteria waiting to pounce with violent intent. There is even an image of some individuals who have such efficient digestive systems that their visits to the lavatory seem to be taken at the speed of light, with barely time to breath.

I wonder if those who happily read in the bathroom at various activities would be kind enough to list the bacterial infections they have suffered from as a result at these disgusting habits?

Thank you for this joyful thread?????

GillT57 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:41:51

I always have a book in the bathroom. I am amazed that anyone should consider it unhygienic, what on earth do some of you do? We have a large bathroom and the book doesn't sit on top of the cistern.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:42:03

Are you laughing at us whitewavemark2? shock grin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:41

gonegirl ? very gently though.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:42

My makeup sits on top of the toilet cistern in our bathroom. I seem to be surviving.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:45:19

We do always close the lid before flushing. smile

Callistemon Fri 12-Apr-19 22:59:49

Those of you who read in the bath must have good eyesight and don't have to wear specs which steam up!

crazyH Fri 12-Apr-19 23:06:41

What a great thread! I don't read in the bath because I don't bathe....I shower ....rather difficult to read a book in the shower, but I read while on the loo....my reading is now limited to my iPad and mainly updates on GN. I don't have the staying power to read a book unless it's a biography.

shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 23:07:33

'Callistemon', you just have to dip the specs in the hot water then dry off and they don't steam up. A bit like a diver does with his/her mask.
The things you learn on GN! smile

Farmor15 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:13:33

We have books in every room in the house except bathroom. We have considered it, as book space running out elsewhere. Would certainly not think it unhygienic - average bathrooms probably have fewer germs than kitchens.
If we were to put in some books, it would be the sort with short articles, such as others have mentioned. I’ve enjoyed books like these in friends’ bathrooms.

sodapop Sat 13-Apr-19 06:46:09

You are right of course Mamissimo but that does not mean I have to perpetuate this practice.

Rufus2 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:08:44

Good Afternoon from "Down Under"!
Nobody appears to have been a fan of "Steptoe and Son". Old man Steptoe, Harold's father, always had plenty of reading matter in the Loo by cutting up the daily newspaper and hanging same on a piece of string; he wasn't the only one during WW2 I imagine! grin

BradfordLass72 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:08:46

I speak for myself only but I have always been totally disgusted by the idea of reading in the loo. Eeuw, horrible.

When I had a bath in my house (and could read), I ran it, washed in it, got out and pulled the plug.

I wouldn't treat my books with such disrespect as to have them in a bathroom.

So there ! grin