Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books to read during self-isolation

(93 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Mar-20 15:35:47

Hi all, smile

With social distancing and self-isolation, many of us now have more time on our hands than before. If you're looking for some entertainment, we've put together this page with HarperCollins on their recommended reads while you're stuck inside.

We also want to hear what books you'd recommend to gransnetters who are in isolation. Whether it's a gripping thriller or a forgotten classic, leave your suggestions on this thread.

And don't forget to come back and let us know if you read a good book over the coming weeks. flowers

TerriBull Sat 11-Apr-20 19:52:36

I forgot to add this one to those I've already posted "Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver, Definitely right up there with other fantastic reads.

almostelderly Sat 11-Apr-20 19:35:08

Anything by Pat Barker and Kate Atkinson. A re-read of Little Women and the sequels.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 22:14:32

Yes to both! ❤️ Both wonderful films and books smile

Thanks for the Winter in Madrid suggestion lemon - it looks really good, I’ve added it to my list.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 21:56:53

Thanks, Sirchenjin. Yes, I know the ? about recommending books. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favourites. Have you seen the film? It’s wonderful. Also Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe by Fannie Flagg, which is also a film. My girls and I have watched both those films endless times. ❤️

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:43:55

A favourite of mine...Winter In Madrid by C J Sansom.

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:43:01

I second The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, bizarre but a good, and unusual book.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 19:56:39

No I’m not on that - I must have a look for it, thanks for the suggestion smile

I’m always nervous of recommending books in case the other person thinks ‘what on Earth?!’ but I’ve enjoyed the following:

1. One for the blackbird, one for the crow by Olivia Hawker
2. The night circus by Erin Morgenstern
3. The beekeepers promise by Fiona Valpy
4. A place called Winter by Patrick Gale
5. The secret life of bees by Sue Monk Kidd
6. Hanna’s daughters by Marianne Fredriksson (this won awards and can be hard to get hold of. It’s a bit of a lengthy read but if you like stories about strong women overcoming adversity it’s definitely worth a read - I loved it and don’t be put off by the reviews, they didn’t seem to be talking about the same book! ).

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 19:34:55

Tell me what you’ve enjoyed, too! I like it when a book is personally recommended.

Are you on the 50 Books Year thread? I can’t remember. blush

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:44:46

Thanks so much - they sound wonderful and absolutely up my street smile

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 16:36:50

I’ve also discovered Elizabeth Taylor. Not the one married to Richard Burton. Twice. grin The book I read is A View from the Harbour. It’s set in a seaside town in the ?1950’s and relates the inhabitants’ doing but not in a Miss Read manner.

It’s actually quite pertinent to today in that their lives are lived within small boundaries, just as we are having to do.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 16:32:45

These are some I’ve enjoyed, Sirchenjin.

Stay With Me by Adebyo Adebami, set in Nigeria and is about a woman’s marriage as they confront infertility. It’s v unusual.

Salt Creek by Lucy Treloar, set in 1800’s Australia.

The Dutch House by Anne Patchett, an American novel.

The Mermaid & Mrs Hancock by Imogen Gower Hermes. Or Hermes Gower. confused That’s set in 17thC Britain. It’s got a bit of magic realism in it which isn’t really my bag but it’s a very light touch.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:06:10

Sue - one of my work colleagues suggested it, I was very glad she did. We’ve obviously got similar tastes in books - do you have any other suggestions?

There are some great ones on here, I’m looking forward to adding them to my ‘must read’ list smile

gulligranny Wed 01-Apr-20 13:47:37

Having recently finished the Louise Penney Inspector Gamache novels, I can endorse the previous recommendation - they are excellent but really should be read in order as there are ongoing plot lines.

I have just embarked on a re-read of Robert Harris's wonderful "Cicero" trilogy: "Imperium", "Lustrum" and "Dictator". I am more than a little in love with Marcus Tullius, and Harris brings him (and the politics and mores of the time) to brilliant life

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 13:40:55

Same! smile I don’t think that many people have heard of it. I came across by accident - one of my DC gave me a book subscription for my birthday. The company sends you a book a month, and this was one of the titles they sent.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 13:38:38

It was very dark and obviously a terrible, tragic, heart breaking end but I think it also showed the absolute kindness and compassion that humans are capable of showing. It’s great to ‘meet’ someone who has also enjoyed this book smile

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 13:15:59

We did All The Light for my book group. smile

Sirchenjin I’m glad you enjoyed Burial Rites. Most people I know who read it felt it was too dark and gloomy. I thought it was an incredible evocation of time and place.

TerriBull Wed 01-Apr-20 09:12:37

I discovered William Boyd and Joanne Harris recently, really enjoyed "Ordinary Thunderstorms" and "A Different Class" written by them respectively.

I enjoyed Eleanor O, but not sure I thought it deserved all the adulation that was heaped on it. Although I suspect like "Elizabeth is Missing" again didn't go overboard about the book, it could be a winner of a dramatisation if it had anyone as good as Glenda Jackson playing the lead.

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 09:01:33

The Anthony Doerr book is brilliant, I shall be re -reading it.
Plus all the David Mitchell books ( this is not the David Mitchell married to Victoria Coren btw!)

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 22:01:47

‘All the light we cannot see‘ by Anthony Doerr and ‘Burial Rites’ by Hannah Kent - 2 of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

NannyJan53 Tue 31-Mar-20 13:42:14

I can recommend anything by Dorothy Koomson

Especially, The Rose Petal Beach, The Ice Cream Girls, My Best Friends Girl, The Chocolate Run, The Woman He Loved Before.

lemongrove Tue 31-Mar-20 13:36:50

Am listening to Anton Lessor reading the new Hilary Mantel book on radio four ( about lunchtime) he reads it really well, although I shall still buy the book.

lemongrove Tue 31-Mar-20 13:34:07

Thanks Greyduster and Urmston ?it gave me ten mins of amusement this morning to write it.

Crafty Yes, Eleanor O is an excellent book, and I may re -read it again soon.
I also like Joanne Harris books ( all of them).Also Any Human Heart by William Boyd.

Craftycat Tue 31-Mar-20 13:06:25

Maggie Maybe--- YES to The Rotters Club- I go back to it just to read the 'letters' if I feel a bit low. So funny.

Craftycat Tue 31-Mar-20 13:04:19

I'm sure most of you have read it but if anyone has NOT read Eleanor Olliphant is Completely Fine now is a good time to do so.
I finished it & went straight back to the beginning to read it again I loved it so much.
I started the new Hilary Mantel but I think maybe I need something a bit lighter just now. Only so many beheadings you can take!!

annodomini Tue 31-Mar-20 11:09:40

I need to wean myself off crime books. At the moment I am reading (or re-reading) Peter Robinson's works in sequence. If anyone here needs a recommendation for a good crime series, I suggest Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache and Martin Walker's Bruno books. Both series have great characters and a wonderful sense of place, Quebec and rural France respectively and are best read in order.