Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Thursday Murder Club

(122 Posts)
bonfirebirthday Tue 27-Oct-20 13:26:06

Has anyone read Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club'? I found a little disappointing after the hype surrounding the publication.

LynsLine Wed 12-Oct-22 15:46:15

That's so true.
I heard Jonathan Ross a few years ago say that he thought it unfair that he could get a book published regardless of the standard or content simply because he was a celebrity yet good writers couldn't get past the first hurdle.

Chardy Thu 06-Oct-22 07:17:55

I have the first one on Audible. I tried to listen, didn't like it. Tried again, failed.

On Twitter this morning, a 'professional author' politely pointed out how celebrity authors get a lot more publicity for their books than real authors.

Calendargirl Thu 06-Oct-22 07:16:07

Certainly not crime novels, but an undemanding read.

The characters don’t resonate with me, none of them feel ‘real’, if that makes sense.

IrishDancing Wed 05-Oct-22 21:49:53

I liked both of RO’s books - not great literature but easy, enjoyable reading.

TiggyW Thu 29-Sep-22 11:48:48

I agree with the comments regarding the Thursday Murder Club books coming over better on audio. I loved the first two novels and have just managed to get the third from the library.
I heard yesterday that Steven Spielberg has bought the rights - brilliant! When I listen to the books I can only picture Helen Mirren as Elizabeth. Hope I’m correct! ??

Esmay Fri 01-Apr-22 17:02:07

I was also disappointed with it .
Perhaps I wouldn't have been if it hadn't been so hyped up .
But I do like Richard Osman a great deal .
I'd like to read The Man Who Died Twice .

Franbern Tue 15-Mar-22 09:06:18

I would endorse what Magicwand has to say about listening to these books on Audible.
TTMC, is not my normal genre (I like historial detective series), but bought this because I do like and admire the author.

I was spellbound with listening to this book. Indeed, when it finished, i immediately started it again -the reading of this, as for so many audible books, really brings the characters alive. I am now nearly finished my listening to The Man that Died Twice and have advanced ordered the third book in this series. I feel comfortable with these characters, really getting to know them and love these books. Such comfortable and funny tales for me. I only treat myself to the luxury of listening in when I am in bed, if I have time to read in the daytime, I do so with books from my history reading group.

Do not understand those who gave such bad reviews to the first book, but then we are all different.

Sunnyoutlook Sat 19-Feb-22 19:21:39

Had just started reading The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman. Then my book club gave us Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon. Both books have a female resident in a retirement home who both see a man who they believe died many years ago. What a coincidence. Joanna Cannon’s book was published three years before Richard Osman’s.

Nana3 Wed 02-Feb-22 11:16:40

Each to their own, but I didn't find the book well written or engaging. Had to read it for reading group but otherwise wouldn't have finished it.

Maudi Wed 02-Feb-22 11:03:45

I enjoyed the book.

Rosalyn69 Wed 02-Feb-22 11:00:07

I have read both and thought they were great fun.

maggie42069 Wed 02-Feb-22 10:42:53

It was shit luv xx

MagicWand Sat 08-Jan-22 15:52:28

Sorry haven’t read all posts so don’t know if anyone else has suggested this. I think both of Richard Osman’s books work better as audio books.
Just listening to The Man Who Died Twice on audio now and it’s very good. The characters of the main protagonists come across very well on audio, much better than I suspect they would do on the written page.

SachaMac Sat 08-Jan-22 09:59:20

I read this last year, I took a while to really get into it but once I was about a third in I sailed through. I think my expectations were also a little high following the publicity around it. Some good characters though and it was quite relaxing to read. Will probably read his new book but I’m in no great hurry.

Jane71 Thu 06-Jan-22 16:17:38

Read TTMC last year and was disapointed after all the hype. The story line was very average, but some of the characters made up for that. Elizabeth and her team were lovely and worth expansion. I also liked the interplay between the two police officers.
Not sure whether I'll read the next.

Greyduster Thu 06-Jan-22 09:18:31

DD is about to pass this book on to me, so I’ve been interested to read this thread. She enjoyed it, but our tastes in books are very different so we’ll see!

annodomini Wed 05-Jan-22 22:44:29

I enjoyed the interplay of characters in both books. The Man who Died Twice brings us more insight into the back story of Elizabeth. Police officers also have an enhanced role. I think Richard is getting into his stride in this book, and now look forward to the next instalment.

Happysexagenarian Wed 05-Jan-22 21:41:55

I read it and enjoyed it. It took me a while to 'get into' as it was not the sort of book I expected him to write. I'm now reading his 'The Man Who Died Twice' and enjoying that too.

Emmsmum Wed 29-Dec-21 11:31:12

I loved it - a really easy read and quietly funny.

Sparklefizz Wed 29-Dec-21 10:13:20

For people who found Richard Osman's first book "The Thursday Murder Club" a little disappointing, I have just read the follow up book "The Man who Died Twice" and enjoyed it much more.

This may be due to my not having such high expectations, to the fact that I knew what to expect, to the author launching straight into the story rather than having to set up the characters (or the fact that I am feeling mellow over Christmas smile smile )

Whichever .... I liked it very much.

Allsorts Fri 10-Dec-21 20:27:39

Agree with Sparklefizz that Hamnett is a brilliant read. It took me a chapter to get into it and so glad I did,

granfromafar Wed 08-Dec-21 09:45:58

I also thought it was 'over-hyped' and was amazed when I read that Spielberg had bought the film rights.
The funniest thing for me was that it was set in Kent, where I live, not far from Tunbridge Wells. I know that TW does not have a Waitrose store, which is mentioned in the book, though we do in Tonbridge. He mentioned this on Graham Norton show recently and admitted he had not done his research properly.

Nana3 Wed 08-Dec-21 08:48:12

Regret wasting time on this book, won't be reading any more of his.

Pepper59 Wed 08-Dec-21 01:31:04

Not gripping, but a nice light read. Ive got the sequel to read later.

JessK Tue 28-Sep-21 09:28:14

I thought it was a light-hearted read, not really a serious thriller, but all the same I did enjoy it as something a bit different.
I think I read somewhere that Spielberg had bought the film rights, can't see it fitting in his usual genre, perhaps it will be changed somewhat...