Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books you've enjoyed reading with your grandchildren and would recommend

(32 Posts)
Lucca Mon 16-Nov-20 16:24:47

The Indian In the cupboard. Lynne Reid Banks

Anything by Julia Donaldson for younger ones. Youngest DGS loves the highway rat.

lemongrove Mon 16-Nov-20 15:50:47

The Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton.
Children enjoy these sort of timeless stories, and I quite fancy visiting the land of birthday parties myself?.They also like her short stories about witches and elves and pixies.

The older DGS ( a teenager now) used to enjoy the above books as well, when young, and also liked The House at Knowe books ( slightly spooky).

midgey Mon 16-Nov-20 15:29:03

Septimia I think we often read books too soon, the Mr Men books are a case in point. It’s lovely that your GD understands the humour.

Septimia Mon 16-Nov-20 15:25:43

I'm reading Winnie the Pooh to my GD. We started it in the summer when we could see each other and the last episode was done by phone.

She's a bit old for it, but I didn't read it until I was in my late teens and thought it hilariously funny. GD is just old enough to begin to see the humour, especially when I manage the voices (like Eeyore's miserable one).

Grandmabatty Mon 16-Nov-20 15:21:18

Dear Zoo and the very hungry caterpillar,both with relevant noises. ?. He is 20 months old.

felice Mon 16-Nov-20 14:59:28

Dinotopia by James Gurney, a wonderful Dorling Kindersley book we bought for DD.
A fantasy with Dinosaurs and humans interacting, great illustrations and a good story.

GeminiJen Mon 16-Nov-20 13:45:16

During lockdown, we loved The Ickabog, by J K Rowling. Initially published online for families to enjoy during lockdown, it's now available as a hardback. It captured the imagination of my grandchildren so much that they drew and submitted entries for the international artwork competition. They didn't win...but have loved revisiting the book this week and seeing the illustrations which did.
Set in the mythical kingdom of Cornucopia, this is a brilliantly original fairy tale, as you would expect from J K Rowling, about the power of hope, friendship and kindness, where good ultimately wins over evil.