Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A book that has made you think long after you have finished reading it

(156 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 29-Apr-21 22:41:47

Mot just one book but (m)any of those published by Virago. Back in the eighties the building in which I worked had a library in the basement. Th librarian stacked circular stands with Virago books. The authors were mainly women from the turn of the 19th century and early part of the 20th and I hadn't heard of most of them. One that I really enjoyed was My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin. It was made into a film with Judy Davis and Sam Neill and is about a young woman from an impoverished Australian farm.

I found them interesting because they were about similar struggles to those that women have today - careers, husbands and families and friends. It surprised me how little things have really changed.

Sago Thu 29-Apr-21 22:41:17

The Pilgramage by Paulo Coehlo.
I envy such faith and marvel at the extraordinary experiences.
I would love to meet him.

Casdon Thu 29-Apr-21 22:27:06

I did Pincher Martin by William Golding for A level, and it’s stuck with me.

Mapleleaf Thu 29-Apr-21 22:04:55

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

simtib Thu 29-Apr-21 21:10:42

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini still makes me shudder whenever I think of it. How could people be so horrid.

StephLP Thu 29-Apr-21 20:58:29

We all have them - those books that stay with you. Mine would be Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom, The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.