Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Seven Sisters Series

(49 Posts)
annodomini Mon 03-May-21 23:30:27

Is anyone else 'hooked' on Lucinda Riley's satisfyingly escapist series about a 'family' of young women, adopted by a very rich man who is lost at sea but leaves messages for each daughter enabling her to to trace her roots and in the process find out more about herself as a person. So far six books have been published and 'The Missing Sister is out on May 27th. I can hardly wait!

annodomini Sat 12-Jun-21 13:32:44

How sad. She must have been completing the series throughout the course of her illness.

Alegrias1 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:33:13

So sorry to hear that she has died.

AiryFlyingFairy Sat 12-Jun-21 12:28:32

Silly me didn't realise this was a series. I read the 2nd book by mistake. It was a long read. I didn't gel with the heroine Ally. Found her annoying.
I generally like Lucinda Reilly books though but this put me off the series.
Happy reading ?

jenniewren Sat 12-Jun-21 12:03:11

That’s really sad news. I’m reading The Missing Sister at the moment.

Callistemon Fri 11-Jun-21 22:16:35

Mamie

Have just read that Lucinda Riley has died today. ?

Oh no, she can't have been very old.
That is very sad.

TerriBull Fri 11-Jun-21 18:41:08

Following your post Mamie, I Googled her and it seems she has had a long battle with cancer, what a shame! I rather hoped it wasn't true, I remember Googling, Raynor Winn just after I'd read the Salt Path and it said somewhere she had died, but I think that death related to her mother.

I'm very sorry to hear about Lucinda, and I'm sure many who have read her very imaginative books will be too.

suep1953 Fri 11-Jun-21 18:36:22

Very sad news, I loved her books ?

Calendargirl Fri 11-Jun-21 18:34:30

That’s very sad.

Has the Pa Salt book been started?

Mamie Fri 11-Jun-21 18:29:01

Have just read that Lucinda Riley has died today. ?

threexnanny Mon 31-May-21 19:44:55

I've read a couple of the sister books but really enjoyed her book 'The Love Letter'.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 13:51:51

annodomini

I made a mistake about that,*Calli*, I thought I had just listed it but realise now that I had also pre-ordered it.

I wondered if you were a proof-reader, annodomini ?

shysal Mon 31-May-21 13:06:24

Lillian, I have read every Santa Montefiore book, most of which I loved, athough her latest, Flappy Entertains, was rubbish in my opinion.
I started with Meet me under the Ombu tree, which got me hooked, and The French Gardener is my favourite.

annodomini Mon 31-May-21 12:41:59

I made a mistake about that,*Calli*, I thought I had just listed it but realise now that I had also pre-ordered it.

Lillian40 Mon 31-May-21 12:36:49

Does anyone read Victoria Hislop, or Santé Monteforti ?
Good escapism and always in wonderful climates. If your feeling in need of a holiday and you cant get one try the books of these 2 writers.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 10:36:48

£9.99 shock

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 10:35:54

I'm so mean that I won't pay £8.99 for a Kindle download!!

annodomini Mon 31-May-21 10:27:48

I've finished 'The Missing Sister', found it intriguing, but no spoilers from me. All I can say is that the final book about Pa Salt is essential to fill in the gaps!

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 10:04:05

There were a few loose ends yet to be tied up in the first book, are they resolved in the following stories or do you think there will be yet another in the series to reach a conclusion? Are there similar issues remaining in the other sister books?

There are plans for another book about Pa Salt which will be released next year.
I have already decided who he is!

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 09:59:52

They keep bringing up bits of the previous stories and the other sisters lives in subsequent episodes.
That's why I haven't bothered to read them all as I knew the endings of some of the previous ones.
They do follow a similar theme but the historical parts were interesting.

Calendargirl Mon 31-May-21 07:13:51

I’m now on my 4th book, The Pearl Sister. It is better than the previous one I read, The Storm Sister, which was mainly set in Norway. I found all the different Norwegian names somewhat confusing, but also the actual story was not riveting.

They keep bringing up bits of the previous stories and the other sisters lives in subsequent episodes.

The books are readable, all follow a very similar pattern, present day sister interspersed with her past from 100 or so years ago.

All very attractive females, handsome men, the occasional villain, much angst, backed up by having had a millionaire adoptive father and they all seem to have sufficient money to follow the dream of finding their past.

shysal Mon 31-May-21 07:04:04

I have just finished the first book, set in Rio, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story telling reminds me of some of the early Santa Montefiore books which I loved. I have ordered used copies of all the others except the latest for which I shall await the paperback edition.
There were a few loose ends yet to be tied up in the first book, are they resolved in the following stories or do you think there will be yet another in the series to reach a conclusion? Are there similar issues remaining in the other sister books?

Calendargirl Thu 20-May-21 22:12:40

I am about to start ‘The Storm Sister’.

Despite what others have said, I still find them a sort of upmarket Mills and Boon, but I will persist with them until I have read the lot.

Callistemon Thu 20-May-21 21:38:49

MagicWand, yes, it did get better.

I did quite like the Brazilian one Aveline, finding out more about the statue.
However, that one only cost £1.99 so that was a consideration.

Oldbat1 Thu 20-May-21 20:59:22

I just didn’t take to the one I tried to read. Perhaps I will try again one day.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-May-21 20:29:39

I felt the same, Aveline, even though our last proper holiday was to Rio and I thought I'd enjoy it if only for the setting.

We're obviously in the minority, though - I read it for my reading group and all the other members loved it. Apparently I'll be reading more of the books in the near future.....