Gransnet forums

Books/book club

September book club - The Ballroom

(75 Posts)
Waveney Thu 01-Sep-16 12:23:46

I was excited to receive a copy of The Ballroom this morning, and I am really looking forward to reading it. I spent August waiting in anticipation for the book of the month, and put off starting a new book in case it arrived so I am delighted to be able to start a new read!?

harrigran Thu 01-Sep-16 12:25:26

My copy arrived this morning and I am going to abandon the thick novel I have just started so that I can read this one, looks interesting.

halfgran Thu 01-Sep-16 13:02:05

Ooh lucky me! Second book in two days,need to rush through august book to read Septembers the ballroom, as a retired psychiatric nurse really looking forward to this one.

matson Thu 01-Sep-16 13:03:39

Thank you for my copy of The Ballroom, looking forward to reading it.

gillyknits Thu 01-Sep-16 13:20:45

Thank you so much for my copy of The Ballroom which arrived this morning. This publisher was certainly a lot faster in getting the copies out than the August book club publisher!

emmasnan Thu 01-Sep-16 16:07:08

Just received my copy of The Ballroom this afternoon. Thank you, looking forward to starting on it soon.

gma Thu 01-Sep-16 21:01:04

Thanks again to gransnet for my copy of The Ballroom which arrived this morning! Our postie always comments on book shaped packages!! Obviously thinks that I don't do housework.....well........
Looking forward to reading this, it will go on top of my 'to read' pile! Thanks again

Gagagran Thu 01-Sep-16 21:31:07

The Ballroom arrived for me too today - thanks GN. Looks good and I shall read it asap when I have finished The Silk Merchant's Daughter which only came this week too!

nancytownsend Fri 02-Sep-16 11:31:31

I received my copy of The Ballroom today. Thanks very much GN. I'll start it as soon as I finish my current read.

chelseababy Fri 02-Sep-16 12:18:17

Thanks for my copy of The Ballroom. Will take it to Corfu with me.

ClaraB Fri 02-Sep-16 12:38:28

Thank you so much, my copy of The Ballroom arrived this morning. I'd just finished a book so will read this one next. It's such a treat to receive a new book.

Buddie Fri 02-Sep-16 12:52:58

Thanks for my copy of The Ballroom. Love the feel of a brand new book and this one looks intriguing. Have already made a start as I had just finished a book and have found itgood so far.

Hammycmt Fri 02-Sep-16 13:46:23

Thank you for my copy of The Ballroom,arrived this morning stated to read over lunch and didn't want to put down. I can't wait to pick up again this evening

cazthebookworm Fri 02-Sep-16 14:26:37

Very pleased to receive a copy of The Ballroom this morning. Thank you very much I was hoping I would be lucky enough to be sent the book as it sounds like an unusual story, very much looking forward to reading it smile

chloe1984 Fri 02-Sep-16 15:01:01

Thank you for my copy can't wait to read it

LullyDully Fri 02-Sep-16 17:59:11

Thanks for my book. Enjoying it so far. Sad !!!!!

bootie41 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:10:00

Thank you for my copy of The Ballroom , arrived yesterday looks very good, can't wait to read it.

Jane10 Sat 03-Sep-16 16:50:32

Was so jealous reading this thread that I found it on Amazon and downloaded it to my Kindle. Was pleasantly surprised to find it only cost £1.66. Hope its the right book!

ginnie Sat 03-Sep-16 17:43:11

Thank you so much for my copy of 'The Ballroom'. What a lovely surprise! I think I am really going to enjoy this one.

brawlass Sat 03-Sep-16 18:00:21

Thank you for copy of "The Ballroom", just received this morning and already started. Think it will be a very interesting read.

GrannyGlyn Sun 04-Sep-16 19:52:49

Thank you for my copy, just got back from holiday and there it was!
Looking forward to reading it.

bookcorner Tue 06-Sep-16 15:59:35

I have already read this book on my kindle and loved it. I would like to ask Anna Hope what the inspiration for her story was

nancytownsend Wed 07-Sep-16 16:25:02

A very moving story. I enjoyed it very much. I see it was inspired by the life of the author's great-great-grandfather.
I would like to ask Anna Hope how long she took researching and writing The Ballroom.

matson Wed 07-Sep-16 19:36:27

What a beautiful book, an eye opening flash back in mental health care.I found it engrossing, crisp clear characters , a sad and moving love story, even the paperback cover was tactile and velvety to the touch.
Will be purchasing " wake " , by the author, and look forward to further novels.

EllenMay Thu 08-Sep-16 10:45:03

This was an engrossing read right from page one. It was beautifully written, well structured and dealt with difficult subjects sensitively. Characters (all of whom are imprisoned in their own way) were presented in such a way as to elicit understanding and sympathy for their individual situations. Heartbreaking but hopeful. I do have a question for Anna but don't want to spoil it for other readers so will post it at the end of the month. Thank you Gransnet.