Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

(34 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 07-Dec-17 12:16:01

If you haven't read this book then please do. I have not read such a moving story for many years & my Reading Group gave it a unanimous 10/10. Some of them gave it their DH to read & they all liked it too.
I laughed out loud so many times but then I cried too. Far more laughs than tears.
It is very moving & I guarantee you will love Eleanor by the end of the book - although at the start she is hard to like.
I think we have all met an Eleanor if in a minor form at some time & it just goes to make us remember that loneliness is not just for the elderly but young people can be lonely too.
It is harrowing towards the end but you will be pleased you read it. I got to the last page & started it again immediately.
Wonderful book.

Jane10 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:47:44

Excellent book. Intriguing and enjoyable. Full marks from me!

CherryHatrick Thu 07-Dec-17 13:01:21

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it.

Oldwoman70 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:32:00

Loved this book - can certainly recommend it

gillybob Thu 07-Dec-17 14:14:08

I loved it too Craftycat definitely my book of the year !

So well written, I could easily picture Eleanor. Would love to read a sequel .

granfromafar Thu 07-Dec-17 21:26:20

I agree that this is a brilliant book and very well written. It was the June Book Club 'Book of the month' (See earlier thread) and although I wasn't lucky enough to receive a copy, I was lent a copy by a friend. Definitely worth a read.

Moocow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:06:56

It's now available for 28 days to listen to on the BBC radio website. I like listening to a book I've read to hear how the voices sound compared to how they did in my head, if you see what I mean!

silverlining48 Wed 13-Dec-17 19:42:25

Have been listening every night on r4. Around 10.45pm.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 22-Apr-18 08:42:52

Really enjoyed this book. Eleanor reminded me of that character in The Bridge who made us laugh with her remarks which revealed her lack of understanding in usual social interaction but at the same time was trying to analyse life around her. I have been recommending this book to friends and family.

Eloethan Sun 22-Apr-18 08:55:37

I nearly bought it yesterday but wavered. Having read these reviews, I will buy it to take on holiday.

jogginggirl Sun 22-Apr-18 10:17:38

Reading it just now - already loving Eleanor .....

Teetime Sun 22-Apr-18 10:23:33

Just finished this really loved it.

jogginggirl Sun 22-Apr-18 10:25:25

Also - to be made into a film ?

SueDonim Sun 22-Apr-18 14:28:06

I enjoyed it, too, but it got the thumbs down from a book group I'm in. I was surprised by that - they seemed to have read a different book from the one I had. Still, that's what makes book groups interesting!

mostlyharmless Sun 22-Apr-18 15:26:59

I thought it was a really compelling story. Laugh out loud funny in places but tragic too. Uplifting.

EthelJ Sun 22-Apr-18 17:16:35

I recently read this book and loved it from the first page. It was one of those books where you cared about the characters and wanted to carry on reading to find out what happened to them. I found it a very warm book too with very well drawn characters. I look forward to reading the authors next book.

J52 Sun 22-Apr-18 17:58:53

It’s the best book I’ve read in a long time.

starbird Thu 26-Apr-18 11:38:02

I picked it up in the library a few days ago and read it in 2 days. Absolutely loved it. Didn’t see “Mummy” coming!

knickas63 Wed 02-May-18 16:29:28

We have just started a book club and it is on our list. Looking forward to reading it!

Sar53 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:58:43

I have just finished it and think it is probably one of the best books I have ever read. It made me laugh and smile at times and then cry at other times.
It really brought home how loneliness can affect people and how small things can change one's perspective on life.
A brilliant read.

Farmor15 Fri 01-Jun-18 13:01:58

Just got from library after requesting it ages ago. Looking forward to a good read after all the recommendations ?

cavewoman Fri 01-Jun-18 13:38:35

Finished it last night. If ever a book cried out for a sequel-this is it. Didn't want it to end.
Everyone should have a Raymond in their life sunshine

grannyqueenie Fri 01-Jun-18 16:33:20

My daughter bought me this a while back but I only picked it up and started reading last week and am really enjoying it. It’s a good read on all sorts of different levels.

Sue1950 Thu 19-Jul-18 22:53:32

Superb book! I've now re-read twice. Love Eleanor's 'voice' and the way the story develops, with at least one twist I didn't see coming.

Eloethan Thu 19-Jul-18 23:44:06

I did buy it for my holiday and really enjoyed it, though had to suspend a degree of disbelief.