Gransnet recommended reads

Gransnet forums

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

(8 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 07-Dec-17 12:16:01

If you haven't read this book then please do. I have not read such a moving story for many years & my Reading Group gave it a unanimous 10/10. Some of them gave it their DH to read & they all liked it too.
I laughed out loud so many times but then I cried too. Far more laughs than tears.
It is very moving & I guarantee you will love Eleanor by the end of the book - although at the start she is hard to like.
I think we have all met an Eleanor if in a minor form at some time & it just goes to make us remember that loneliness is not just for the elderly but young people can be lonely too.
It is harrowing towards the end but you will be pleased you read it. I got to the last page & started it again immediately.
Wonderful book.

Jane10 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:47:44

Excellent book. Intriguing and enjoyable. Full marks from me!

CherryHatrick Thu 07-Dec-17 13:01:21

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it.

Oldwoman70 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:32:00

Loved this book - can certainly recommend it

gillybob Thu 07-Dec-17 14:14:08

I loved it too Craftycat definitely my book of the year !

So well written, I could easily picture Eleanor. Would love to read a sequel .

granfromafar Thu 07-Dec-17 21:26:20

I agree that this is a brilliant book and very well written. It was the June Book Club 'Book of the month' (See earlier thread) and although I wasn't lucky enough to receive a copy, I was lent a copy by a friend. Definitely worth a read.

Moocow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:06:56

It's now available for 28 days to listen to on the BBC radio website. I like listening to a book I've read to hear how the voices sound compared to how they did in my head, if you see what I mean!

silverlining48 Wed 13-Dec-17 19:42:25

Have been listening every night on r4. Around 10.45pm.

Join the discussion

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.