Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Recommendations for someone who likes Tana French and Kate Atkinson crime novels?

(23 Posts)
Masquereader Fri 01-May-20 13:09:58

Help! I’m about to run out of books ... thanks

Ilovecheese Fri 01-May-20 13:31:38

Ellie Griffiths. Deborah Crombie. Susan Hill.

trisher Fri 01-May-20 14:02:01

Sophie Hannah -Simon and Charlie novels.
Susan Hill-Simon Serallier novels.
If you want something a bit different Philip Kerr, Bernie Gunther books. They are historic fiction about a detective in wartime Germany and move forwards and backwards in time between 1928 and 1950+

Clawdy Sat 02-May-20 18:19:02

Kate Ellis - the Wesley Peterson novels.
Another vote for Elly Griffiths.
Ann Cleeves - the Shetland series.

NotAGran55 Sat 02-May-20 18:41:05

Susan Hill , Simon Serrailler series are great .
Looking forward to the new one in the autumn.

I also loved Jo Spain’s Dirty Little Secrets , Six Wicked Reasons and The Confession .

Masquereader Sun 03-May-20 10:11:52

Thank you! Some of these are new to me so I look forward to giving them a try - hopefully at least some will be on the library’s ebook list. I’ll let you know what I think.

NotAGran55 Sun 03-May-20 10:16:12

Thank you Clawdy I am thoroughly enjoying Ann Cleeves Raven Black on audible.

grannydarkhair Sat 09-May-20 22:33:35

Have you tried Kate Mosse, I loved her Languedoc trilogy. If you like war-time stories, Alan Furst is excellent, his books are set in/around WW11, they're stories of espionage, and some have recurring characters and places.

sodapop Sun 10-May-20 08:57:09

All of the above also, Deborah Crombie, M R Hall, Val McDermid, Stephen Booth, Peter James. Lots to choose from Masquereader enjoy trying some different authors.

Notagran55 can't wait for the new Simon Serailler book to come out. I have introduced a friend to the series and she is totally addicted now.

Davida1968 Sun 10-May-20 09:24:28

I recommend the Bill Slider series by Cynthia Harrod Eagles. (She also wrote a long historical series called The Morland Dynasty.) And there's another vote from me for Susan Hill's Simon Seraillier series.

anna7 Sun 10-May-20 09:58:51

This thread has just come at the right time for me. I too have run out of books. I have just downloaded the first Susan Hill Simon Seraillier book on my Kindle after all your recommendations. So thanks Ladies, I am looking forward to reading it.

Dee1012 Sun 10-May-20 10:23:47

I love Jo Spain, similar writer's I've really enjoyed are;
Brian McGilloway.
Angela Masons.
William Shaw.
Claire McGowan.
Sara Paretsky.

almostelderly Mon 11-May-20 07:52:57

Ellie Griffiths, her Norfolk crime novels but they must be read in order. Tony Parsons, the Max Wolfe series. Blood and Sugar, by Laura-Sepherd-Robinson. The Five, the Untold Story of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold. The author is an historian who has shattered the Ripper myth. The book has caused controversy.

Furret Mon 11-May-20 08:02:20

Try Faith Martin author of DI Hilary Green series. Also DCI Ryan series by L.J. Ross.

I am a fan of both authors you mentioned so hopefully we have similar tastes.

clementine Mon 11-May-20 21:21:26

Peter James , Inspector Roy Grace series is very good. Robert Galbraith ( JK Rowling) Comoran Strike is also good.

Another is Cara Hunter .

Nandalot Mon 11-May-20 22:18:27

EllGriffiths, her Ruth Galloway Norfolk novels, but also her Brighton ones. Ann Cleeves, as well as Vera and her Shetland novels, she has a new series set in Devon. Anne Coates, her Hannah Weybridge novels.

Susie42 Tue 12-May-20 11:13:29

Louise Penny - her books are set in Montreal but must be read in order. I also like C.J. Sansom's historical thrillers but again must be read in order.

Rosalyn69 Tue 12-May-20 11:30:59

I like Edward Marston’s Railway Detective series.
Mick Herron’s Jackson Lamb series are unusual but must be read in order.
And John Sandford crime books are very readable if you like American.

annodomini Tue 12-May-20 11:45:20

I second the recommendation of Louise Penny's books. I like getting involved with the characters in a series of books. Her characters are well drawn and believable. The landscape plays a big part as well. I can envisage the village which is central to her stories.

Sue007007 Mon 25-May-20 17:29:47

Definitely try Holy Lies by S K Sheridan, I couldn't put it down. Also C J Sansom books are amazing,

Lupin Sat 30-May-20 11:50:57

If you can get them try Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series. They are set in the late 19th to early 20th century, in Egypt, with an archaeological background. They are best read in order and there are lots of them. They are wonderfully read in Audible too.
Hilary Mantel's Cromwell books are fabulous once you get used to her writing style. Start with Wolf Hall.
I too like C.J. Sansom's Shardlake books.
Another author to try is Mark Mills.
Maybe try www.fantasticfiction.com. There are lots of ideas and recommendations on there. Once in, look up the author and it will give you their books in order of series, and lead you on to other authors that readers have liked. It's a great website for bookworms.

Calendargirl Sat 30-May-20 12:39:34

I have read several of the Ruth Galloway series since lockdown, on the Libby app. Not in order unfortunately, but that’s how they are available.

The latest Cara Hunter one should be with me soon. I ordered it from the library before they closed, and was about 50th in the queue!

shysal Sat 30-May-20 13:01:03

Not my usual sort of thing, but I enjoyed Margaret Dickinson's trilogy - Plough the Furrow, Sow the Seed and Reap the Harvest. I have since read most of her books, although they now seem a bit predictable.