Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Was there no Book club title for July?

(16 Posts)
rocketstop Sun 09-Aug-20 12:04:47

Has there been no book club since the June- Adele Parks one?
If so I must have missed it ??

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Aug-20 12:56:13

I don’t think there’s been one.

hulahoop Wed 12-Aug-20 13:54:15

I was wondering that thought I must have missed it ?

Mapleleaf Thu 13-Aug-20 12:24:03

I don't think so either. I haven't seen anything so wondering if they aren't bothering for now?

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Aug-20 17:18:39

I just hope we haven't seen the last of the Book Club. sad

Mumsnet used to have a similar one years ago - I managed to snaffle just one book before it disappeared. Following that they did still have a Book of the Month discussion until a few months ago, but you'd to buy your own copy. I think it might have fizzled out altogether since.

Greenfinch Mon 17-Aug-20 17:22:34

It would be nice to know.I have enjoyed the books I have received over the years.

rjack Mon 17-Aug-20 17:27:45

Interested to hear what the book club is all about as I read
a fair bit.

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Aug-20 17:52:48

This is the link to the June Book Club giveaway, rjack, the most recent draw. There have been 50 books available every month and until the closing date there's a short form to fill in at the bottom of the Books page to enter the draw to win one. If you're lucky, the book's posted out to you and you're asked to write a review of it. Fingers crossed there'll be a September draw!

www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/books/june-book-club-just-my-luck

GeminiJen Tue 18-Aug-20 13:18:30

Like others who've posted here, I hope we haven't seen the last of the Book Club sad I've been lucky over the years and have enjoyed books I might not normally have chosen to read. It's been good too to share views with others. And writing a fair review is good exercise for those little grey cells wink
So please, GN...do keep on carrying on with this. It is appreciated flowers

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Aug-20 14:15:00

Hi there,
We're currently reviewing how we run the book club, so we won't be doing the monthly giveaways for them at the moment. We do however have lots of other competitions and giveaways regularly on site (many of them book-related) so it's always worth:
- signing up to the daily newsletter so you don't miss out
- keeping an eye on our competitions page

We hope this helps.

Best wishes,
GNHQ

Maggiemaybe Tue 18-Aug-20 15:06:21

Ah well, at least we know now. ☹️ Thank you, Lara.

Mapleleaf Wed 19-Aug-20 13:57:58

It will be a shame if it stops. I enjoyed reading and reviewing the books I was lucky enough to receive.
I think it has been a good way of introducing lesser known/ less familiar authors, too, which I have kept a look out for since if I've enjoyed their style, and bought other books by them.

GeminiJen Thu 20-Aug-20 14:14:13

LaraGransnet
If the decision is final, I'm sorry to see the end of the Book Club. If not, I hope you'll reconsider. Competitions and giveaways are all very well. But I'll miss the Book Club for the same reasons given by Mapleleaf sad

gillyknits Fri 21-Aug-20 10:13:58

I would really miss book club as I have been introduced to lots of new authors but I can understand that it takes a bit of work to get books sorted out every month.

Harris27 Sun 23-Aug-20 09:34:48

I have been checking in for this as well what a shame loved the thrill that I might win one.

Fflaurie Sun 23-Aug-20 09:38:21

I won a copy of the Adele Parks book, they tried to send it to me with an out of date link twice, I told them, but am still waiting for my copy. I doubt I will hear from them again, nor will I enter any competitions in future if they don't honour the prizes.