Gransnet forums

Books/book club

I could not put this book down

(17 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 09-Oct-20 16:51:16

www.amazon.co.uk/Stolen-Innocence-Polygamous-Becoming-Breaking-ebook/dp/B0017T0CRE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&s=books&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1602258609&refinements=p_27%3AElissa+Wall&sr=1-1

grannyrebel7 Fri 09-Oct-20 19:17:40

That looks like a great book. Will give it a whirl Floradora9. My mum's name was Dora btw!

OceanMama Fri 09-Oct-20 22:52:24

That sounds interesting. I've put it on my to read list.

shysal Sat 10-Oct-20 08:24:45

On the subject of polygamy, does anyone watch 'Sister Wives' on Quest Red on Monday evenings? The lives of the Brown family whom the programme follows are far different from that of Warren Jeffs. I enjoy watching the goings on of this 23 person family with 4 wives.

agnurse Sun 11-Oct-20 06:30:15

This is an excellent book. I've read it myself.

grannydarkhair Fri 30-Oct-20 00:38:13

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff is a fictional modern day murder mystery combined with a partly factual historical take on polygamy within the Church of the Latter Day Saints and a breakaway sect. Very well written, I really enjoyed it.

Sparklefizz Fri 30-Oct-20 08:50:56

I loved The 19th Wife. We read it with our Book Group years ago. I might give it a 2nd read.

Sarnia Fri 30-Oct-20 09:00:32

I am a book club member, so I read lots of books. 2 that I can highly recommend are Our House by Louise Candlish. Fiona arrives home one lunchtime to find a removals truck outside her house and people moving in. Problem is she hasn't sold her house. A modern day story showing that scammers have no limits. A fascinating non-fiction book is The Five by Hallie Rubenhold. It tells the lives of the 5 Jack the Ripper victims. Previous books discount these women as prostitutes and not worth very much but this book shows that isn't strictly true. 3 years research shows in the wealth of detail in these ladies lives. Both well worth reading.

Sparklefizz Fri 30-Oct-20 20:13:03

Yes, I can also recommend Our House by Louise Candlish. Un-put-downable!

NanKate Fri 30-Oct-20 20:44:19

Well isn’t that odd I met a GN friend today and she suggested I read ‘The other passenger’ by Louise Candlish. This is a new author to me, so I shall get her on my Kindle. ?

travelsafar Mon 02-Nov-20 12:19:15

Sarnia I have found this book 'Our House' at our local book stall for 50p. When i read the flyer it really intrigued me and i have started to read, but because it is so good i have got half way and stopped as i had library books to finish. I cant wait to finish it. It is so far excellent and so different to anything else i have read. smile

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Nov-20 14:03:38

I haven't read that one NanKate so will be interested to know what you think.

travelsafar Glad you have found "Our House" as un-put-downable as I did.

"Those People" by Louise Candlish is also very good.

Liz46 Mon 02-Nov-20 15:06:10

Thank you ladies. Several of you liked 'Our House' so I checked the library and have put my name down to borrow it as an e-book. There are two other people before me but that's ok as I have a Lesley Pearse book to read.

'Trust Me' and 'Remember Me' are two books by her based on true stories and I have just read them for a second time.

NotTooOld Fri 20-Nov-20 14:33:11

Another 'I couldn't put it down'.

Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconnor.

Don't be put off by the title. This is not just another book of royal gossip although there is a bit of that in it. It is really the story of the author's life and what a life! Talk about how the other half live.

Recommended and currently only 99pp on kindle.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:36:17

Thanks will download that now.

Kamiso Fri 20-Nov-20 15:00:47

shysal

On the subject of polygamy, does anyone watch 'Sister Wives' on Quest Red on Monday evenings? The lives of the Brown family whom the programme follows are far different from that of Warren Jeffs. I enjoy watching the goings on of this 23 person family with 4 wives.

I watched it first time around and found it very interesting to see a different aspect of polygamy rather than the previous stereotypes shown in the media. I also watched My Five Wives at the time. There was also a series about Mennonites (?). I’ve never watched any of the reality shows with celebrities as they don’t appeal but was interested in the differing religions and attitudes.

After a while I started to feel that they were creating unreal situations for the producers and I lost interest.

Sparklefizz Fri 20-Nov-20 15:22:04

I read The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish last week. I couldn't put it down and thought it was gripping.