Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What books are you reading and why?

(368 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 06-Nov-20 15:12:31

To start off with I'm reading 'A First Rate Madness' by Nassir Ghaemi.
This was recommended on a TV documentary talking about Trump, and discussing why he is the way he is.

I have only just started it so if someone else has read it I would be interested in their pov.

Soozikinzi Fri 06-Nov-20 15:17:06

I’m reading that fifty fifty because it was on the cover to cover programme on TV . The author was on and he set it up really well.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 15:29:46

I am reading a book about Forest London. London has more green areas and woodland than any other city and it covers 8 forest walks from outer London to inner London, I am reading it because my cousin lent it to me, knowing my interest in landscape hisory.

Namsnanny Fri 06-Nov-20 17:48:15

Soozikinizi ... by fifty fifty do you mean you pick it up when you feel like it?
Because I do that but it usually means its a bit of a slog for me to stick with it at every sitting. If you see what I mean?!

M0nica ... that sounds really interesting. All the more so because I would never think London had more green spaces than other cities.
Funnily enough I thought Bristol held that title. Possibly just said as PR for selling houses there.
Does landscape history include research into why a building was put where ever?
I've watched (I expect I'm telling you something you already know) some fascinating TV programs using Lidar to find new sites for archaeologists to investigate.

MiniMoon Fri 06-Nov-20 18:32:27

I'm reading The Rosie Result. Its the third in a trilogy by Graeme Simsion.
I heard an interview with him on Simon Mayo's radio show and thought that the first book, The Rosie Project sounded like my cup of tea.

I'm also reading The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson, I've just started this one, so I'm not sure about it yet.

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 19:11:46

Just read a delightful book. Very short, rather old fashioned but beautifully written. Called the enchanted April I read it because it’s about Italy!
I’m about to start a single thread by tracy chevalier because I like her books.

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 19:12:38

MiniMoon

I'm reading The Rosie Result. Its the third in a trilogy by Graeme Simsion.
I heard an interview with him on Simon Mayo's radio show and thought that the first book, The Rosie Project sounded like my cup of tea.

I'm also reading The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson, I've just started this one, so I'm not sure about it yet.

I read the first two. Liked the first one better. So I might try the third, thanks.

25Avalon Tue 10-Nov-20 09:28:59

I am reading kindle books which I downloaded for free. Mostly detectives.

GardenerGran Tue 10-Nov-20 09:29:07

I’m reading Redhead by the side of the road by Anne Tyler. I’ve read a few of hers and enjoy them. I’m using the Libby app in conjunction with my library so get to read them at home for free on my iPad. Don’t think I’ll be using Kindle much anymore.

ClaraB Tue 10-Nov-20 09:29:13

I am currently reading Expectation by Anna Hope who wrote The Ballroom which was a wonderful read. I have joined the Clare Mackintosh online book club, I've never wanted to be in one that met regularly and discussed each book but this one suits me as you don't always need to read the book of the month, if like me you don't want to join a normal book club then I highly recommend joining via Facebook.

inishowen Tue 10-Nov-20 09:31:45

I'm reading American Dirt. Its a brilliant book, set in Mexico. It will open your eyes.

Edge26 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:34:15

I'm reading a Jack Sheffield book about Ragley village school. I have read lots of his Teacher books and find them very entertaining.

Shoulddobetta Tue 10-Nov-20 09:35:51

I have discovered Lisa Jewell, don't usually like fiction. I'm currently reading One hit Wonder but would highly recommend Invisible girl, a sort of thriller but seen from the view point of a number of characters

Reaps Tue 10-Nov-20 09:37:31

I'm reading And then there were none by Agatha Christie. I read a lot of detective novels and decided to revisit the classics such as Christie

hicaz46 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:40:22

I have just finished reading ‘Troubled Blood’ by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling in disguise). It’s a Cormoran Strike thriller and over 900 pages long. As usual it’s very well written. I have also just finished ‘ the Thursday Murder Club’ by Richard Oseman. I’m not sure about that one. I love thrillers and run a Thrillers and Crime Writers group at my local U3A.

Rmegan Tue 10-Nov-20 09:42:34

I loved it. Have recommended it to all my friends. I did guess right BTW

Rmegan Tue 10-Nov-20 09:46:10

Loved the Thursday murder club and hope the next one is as good or better. If Mr Spielberg is reading... I would make the perfect Joyce

Mwdebbie Tue 10-Nov-20 09:50:34

I read this during the last lockdown. It was a present from my sister and a very gentle read.

Bankhurst Tue 10-Nov-20 09:50:34

I’m reading ‘One More Thing’ by BJ Novak, a collection of short stories that were workshopped in theatres and comedy clubs. Quirky but interesting.
My book group used to spend half of each meeting deciding on the next book, so now one member recommends 3-4 on which the others vote. I was tasked with finding humorous books in these difficult times - hence the odd choice. Skype meeting tomorrow!

polnan Tue 10-Nov-20 09:54:08

another thread I love

me? oh gosh, seem to have lost my concentration, I just could NOT list the books I have started, the books I have kept to re read, cos I loved them,, just cannot settle at all.

always been one with my "nose stuck in a book" so wish I could get back there..

love this thread! yes, I repeat myself.. hope I can look up some of them and get through to the end.

hulahoop Tue 10-Nov-20 09:54:47

I have read that inishowan it is very good at moment I am reading mainly light hearted books .

Rmegan Tue 10-Nov-20 09:54:52

I read mostly thrillers but like lots of other genre. I love Emma Hornby as she is a local author and her attention to detail is excellent. I have recently read a couple of Trisha Ashley books - The Twelve Days of Christmas; A Winters Tale and just finished The garden of forgotten wishes and enjoyed them all. One book I have read which I found was like walking in thick mud but persevered was Love after Love after seeing it on Cover to Cover but I can’t say I liked it. I have also read the Sanest Man in the room by Don Black (biography) and loved it.

Moggycuddler Tue 10-Nov-20 09:55:23

Shoulddobetta

I have discovered Lisa Jewell, don't usually like fiction. I'm currently reading One hit Wonder but would highly recommend Invisible girl, a sort of thriller but seen from the view point of a number of characters

I love Lisa Jewell! Have you read any by C.L. Taylor? I just finished Strangers, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I think you might like too. I'll be reading more of hers.

schnackie Tue 10-Nov-20 09:55:44

Just watched the Sara Cox show Cover to Cover (mentioned above) and I was scribbling down all the titles discussed! Great way to learn about books! I'm currently reading Peter Robinson's Before the Poison. And I can also recommend a lovely Mancunian author, Patricia Dixon and her latest book, Resistance, about a courageous woman in France in WW II.

Davida1968 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:56:17

Like Reaps, I'm reading a lot of Agatha Christie at the moment. Our local library had a display of Christie boks and so (while the library was open) I've wallowed in these as "comfort reading". I found that there were some of her books which I'd never read (Christie was a prolific writer) plus others which I'd forgotten. Before lockdown I borrowed another six Christies, and there's always my Kindle. For me these books are a real pleasure to retreat into, during the current lockdown.