Gransnet forums

Books/book club

If not Dr Seuss then who ?

(18 Posts)
Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:01:09

The thread about Dr Seuss made me start this to ask which books for small children you rate these days ?
I actually don’t like Dr Seuss that much, love all Julia Donaldson books and the other day read a David Walliams one but found it uninspiring.

timetogo2016 Sat 06-Mar-21 14:06:47

My two G/son`s love Diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney.
They have read the whole series up to date.
David Walliams books are hit and miss,i really enjoyed Gangster Grandma.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:07:17

Yes. I'm not a fan of Walliams.
I don't much care for Dahl either.
Although I love his short stories for adults ( the Tales of the Unexpected stuff).
Morpurgo is a reliable.
I teach KS3 kids to read (or at least, I used to) and he's my go to for them. I must admit it's very difficult to find suitable reading matter for reluctant readers.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:08:20

Excuse all my typos. I'm all over the shop today blush

jaylucy Sat 06-Mar-21 14:09:39

I think you will find that several generations have coped without Dr Seuss, especially in the UK.
There is a plethora of books for youngsters to read.

TerriBull Sat 06-Mar-21 14:11:01

I love the Julia Donaldson books, beautifully illustrated and I think they capture the imagination of younger children, they were great favourites of my grandchildren when they were very young.

I can't really comment on Dr Seuss because we didn't have any. I loved Shirley Hughes Alfie, Dogger and Lucy and Tom books when my children were young. Again beautifully illustrated, they still seem to be around in book shops.

My granddaughter seems to like David Walliams books and they certainly sell well. They come across as a weak version of many of the Roald Dahl books, which again my children liked at junior school age and which imo were much better than DWs.

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:14:02

Some books are more fun than others
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yskf94MYM1I

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:14:45

I like Michael Rosen’s book Chocolate Cake, great fun to read.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:15:40

Lucca I love Donaldson too, but not as much as I love Sheffler!
I used to love reading them to the kids when I was in primary.
Have you read Tabby McTat by them?
It's my absolute favourite. I've got a signed copy! I've even been known to read it to DH.

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Mar-21 14:17:51

My grandson enjoyed Diary of a Wimpey Kid books as well.
My children didn't have any Dr Seuss books, I didn't really like them.

TerriBull Sat 06-Mar-21 14:27:06

Apart from David Walliams, my granddaughter also reads Diary of a Wimpey Kid books, they seem very popular, but no idea what they are like.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:28:10

A lot of my boys like Jeff Kinney.

ayse Sat 06-Mar-21 14:32:32

Julia Donaldson has been the author of the year for my year 1 grandchildren at their primary school. Lovely books with great illustrations and written in rhyme which young children love.

One of these GCs loves Horrid Henry as an easy reader. She is rather a tomboy (if this term is still allowed) so any other recommendations for her would be very welcome. I’ll look up Sheffler as I haven’t heard of them.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:35:03

ayse Axel Scheffler is the illustrator of most of Donaldson's books, most famously The Gruffalo.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 14:40:09

‘Room on the Broom’ is lovely and has been made into a great animated film,

BlueBelle Sat 06-Mar-21 14:42:42

I love Dr Seuss and Hairy MacClary from Donaldsons dairy

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 14:53:26

Hairy Maclary is great. Sticky burrs are called Hairy Maclaries I. This family now grin

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:56:08

jaylucy

I think you will find that several generations have coped without Dr Seuss, especially in the UK.
There is a plethora of books for youngsters to read.

Oh I know I was just following on from the other thread !