Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Has anyone read The Headmasters Wager?

(13 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Mon 17-May-21 16:41:27

It is set in Vietnam in the sixties and is about a Chinese man who has set up a school to teach English. It is so far, and I have read three quarters, a real story and full of references to Chinese culture and Saigon at the time. I found it in a list of historical fiction but the compiler had put it down as his second favourite, the first being The Red Tent which I had read and enjoyed. I just wanted a really good story having been disappointed with other recent choices.

fairfraise Mon 17-May-21 17:24:12

Sounds like my kind of read. I'll look out for it when libraries reopen here.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 25-May-21 08:24:54

I have finished it and it has been a terrific read. It has a really good and involved plot, history and human relationships with a proper ending set against Vietnam in the sixties but also describing so much of Chinese culture. Really recommend it. I bought it from Amazon (new) for £6.49 (normal price £7.99).

JulieNoted Tue 25-May-21 08:36:50

I shall have a look at that, LTP, it sounds very good. I'm currently reading The Bird in the Bamboo Cage, set in China in WW2, so this could be a good follow on!

Lovetopaint037 Wed 26-May-21 18:52:10

Now that sounds interesting. I will be looking into that. Thank you. Just received The Girl in the White Kimona so hoping that will be as good as the reviews.

Charlotte2 Sat 26-Jun-21 09:49:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

hanamiles Mon 27-Dec-21 14:54:25

NotTooOld Mon 27-Dec-21 15:19:56

I've just rediscovered Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell). I read all her books in the 1980s and am enjoying re-reading them now. My favourite is King Solomon's Carpet but they are all good.

mariadwyer Sat 22-Jan-22 16:36:54

Doodledog Sat 22-Jan-22 17:26:09

I can't find it on Audible.

Why are there all these links to a credit card application form?

Lovetopaint037 Thu 02-Jun-22 09:27:59

Blooming hell. Just seen those deleted messages. Whatever can they have found to say that is so objectionable about a book.

Grandmabatty Thu 02-Jun-22 09:53:55

They will be scams Lovetopaint. If an old thread is resurrected, it's usually because of scammers.

merlotgran Thu 02-Jun-22 10:18:24

I’m about a third of the way through and I’m finding it slow going. It’s not the kind of book I just can’t put down and I’m hoping the pace will up soon.