Gransnet forums

Books/book club

How to be Good Nick Hornby

(10 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 28-Jun-21 15:36:15

I used to love Nick Hornby books and found this on my shelf the other day. Bought it ages ago but never read it: might have been a 3for 2 purchase (hated going to Waterstones for one particular book only to find myself desperately looking for two more). Has anyone read it….I’ve read one chapter but don’t feel like persevering with it. I don’t seem to get through books these days and hoped it would be a light read.

Pittcity Mon 28-Jun-21 16:34:05

I found it a much harder read than Nick's others.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Jun-21 17:37:20

I don’t think I’ll persevere. Right from the start I felt that he was writing it from a woman’s perspective without understanding what a woman’s perspective would be. I loved Fever Pitch.

MayBee70 Wed 21-Jul-21 18:46:37

I thought I’d read a chapter a day. Now on chapter 8 and I’m enjoying it. However, I found his other books gave me a good insight into how men’s minds worked but don’t think he really understand women ( which is kind of obvious).

FannyCornforth Tue 09-Nov-21 12:48:53

I’ve just been browsing the Book Forum, and couldn’t ignore this thread!
How to be Good is probably my favourite book ever, after the first Adrian Mole. I thought that it was hilarious and thought provoking. Love it!
Hornby dedicated the book to his sister Gill, I think that he tried to base the character of the doctor on her.

MayBee70 Tue 09-Nov-21 12:58:08

I go through phases of not reading so only got part way through the book. However, I’m planning to finish reading it in a couple of weeks time when I’m going away for a couple of weeks. I think my problem at the start was because my ex had an affair many years ago and anything that shows someone having an affair and not giving any thought to how it will affect their children upsets me. Once I’d read through that bit I really started to enjoy it.

FannyCornforth Tue 09-Nov-21 13:10:52

I totally understand. I haven’t read it for years, but I found the female character and her backstory in particular a bit irrelevant.

FannyCornforth Tue 09-Nov-21 14:25:03

MayBee have you read ‘A Long Way Down’? That is excellent. It’s told by several protagonists, all ages and both sexes.
Thinking about it, I might prefer it to HTBG… ?
It was turned into a film, but generally I avoid books turned into films

MayBee70 Sun 28-Nov-21 12:09:30

I’ve finally finished How to be Good 24 hours without power: read it by torchlight! It certainly made me think. My problem with it, apart from the affair, was someone being a mother of two children who seemed to get no enjoyment from them. I loved every minute I spent with my two. That’s where I felt it was being written from a male perspective, although that’s unfair because having been divorced myself I’ve known men that were far more concerned about their marriages ending and the effect on their children than their wives did. I’ve realised that internet, catchup tv etc interferes with my book reading ad I was thoroughly enjoying the fact that the only thing I could do last night was read. And snuggling under a duvet with the dog, a book and a torch was wonderful. I was actually quite disappointed when the power came back on.

MayBee70 Sun 28-Nov-21 12:09:57

I’ll check out the other book you mentioned x