Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any writers in here

(57 Posts)
hugshelp Sat 16-Jul-22 11:35:19

I started writing about a year ago. Prior to the sudden decision to do so, I hadn't written anything more challenging than a shopping list in over 4o years. I've had a few things published online and a couple of things in anthologies, just by small publishers and not for any pay.

I'm wondering it there is anyone else who has come to writing later in life who would like to chat about their craft, their work, their frustrations, and life in general, from time to time.

Aveline Sat 16-Jul-22 12:02:55

There have been threads on this before. Check them out. You'll find several of us. I just don't want to post the same thing over again.
Also, lots of writers forums on Facebook.

hugshelp Sat 16-Jul-22 15:47:53

The only one the search brought up gave me a message stating the thread hadn't been posted on for over a year and suggested I start a new one. Not sure what I should be searching.

Wasn't looking for advice. I am a member of several writing groups, forums etc. Merely looking for friendly like-minded writers who enjoyed chatting.

Gin Sat 16-Jul-22 16:12:16

I have been writing for only about eight years. I mostly write short stories. I belong to a local writing group but would love to widen my contacts. I have been writing for only about eight years.

How would such a thread work? I need others than my group to read my jottings to get an idea if they are any good or absolute rubbish but I have been writing for only about eight years. I mostly write short stoies. I belong to a local writing group but would love to widen my contacts but we can hardly post our creative masterpieces on here! I would love to read others efforts. Would also like info on possibly publishing.

Gin Sat 16-Jul-22 16:13:20

A bit repetitious, should edit before posting!

hugshelp Sat 16-Jul-22 17:40:37

Lovely to meet you Gin. You've been writing way longer than me.
There's no reason we couldn't have a thread which mentions any current work, with a word count, that we might like to share with someone via DM.
I'm a member of other critique groups so already have access to getting work looked at by strangers but it might be nice to look at work by people we chat with regularly and see if anyone's work particularly resonates.
I think you can get deeper input from someone who 'gets' your style or niche but can help you to polish it than from general readers.

I've only had individual pieces of work published via online submissions to literary magazines and have yet to venture into any major projects for publication.

What sort of stories do you like to write?

Catterygirl Sun 17-Jul-22 00:37:02

I used to write cat articles for the Weekly Post in Spain. I had a weekly column. Unfortunately I was employed by the Costa Blanca News at the same time as a speed typist. I wrote a book about running a cattery in Spain but was told it was a niche subject by the literary agent for Bob the Cat!

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 00:52:15

It is perhaps a widespread fallacy that publication can only be carried out by a publishing company.

Yet that is not the case, anyone can be a publisher.

Publication may, but need not, be a matter of selling books.

One can publish one's own work.

It will be accepted bt The British Library for Legal Deposit.

The law on Legal Deposit is in the style of obliging a publisher.

Yet Legal Deposit is a great pportunity to have one's work conserved by The British Library and some other Legal Deposit libraries at no ongoing cost, and he only initial cost being supplying six copies free and getting them there, one to The British Library and five to the Agent for the other five Legal Deposit libraries.

LINK > Legal Deposit

Doodledog Sun 17-Jul-22 10:14:59

I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but in case anyone is not aware, it's not a great idea to put work online if you hope to get it published, as a lot of publishers will not touch previously published work. Posting it on here counts as published in that context (as does posting on FB or similar unless it is a closed private group, although that is usually ok).

Having said that, if something is set up that includes poets, I'd like to join in if that's ok?

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 10:54:14

Doodledog

I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but in case anyone is not aware, it's not a great idea to put work online if you hope to get it published, as a lot of publishers will not touch previously published work. Posting it on here counts as published in that context (as does posting on FB or similar unless it is a closed private group, although that is usually ok).

Having said that, if something is set up that includes poets, I'd like to join in if that's ok?

There is also the issue of Gransnet claiming non-exclusive copyright.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums

Welcome to Gransnet. We've selected some topics below we think you might want to discuss but you're free to talk on any subject you like. You need to be a member of Gransnet to use the forum. Please be aware this is a public forum and your postings are open for all to see. Please note that Gransnet has non-exclusive copyright in all submissions to Gransnet, and reserves the right to edit and re-publish these in print form.

end quote

I only noticed that a few days ago. I don't know how long it has been there.

What exactly in "non-exclusive copyright"? I had never known that term before. Do they mean they have a non-exlusive licence?

Someone can only "reserve" a right that they actually have in the first place.

They don't mention what fee they will pay to authors for use in print. smile

What about the movie rights? grin

Doodledog Sun 17-Jul-22 11:06:03

This is why publishers fight shy of anything that has been posted online.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 12:15:55

If Gransnet (the business) were to be the publisher would that still be an issue?

Bluebelle wrote Having said that, if something is set up that includes poets, I'd like to join in if that's ok?

I expect it would be ok for you to join in. It certainly would be if I were to start it. Yet what sort of thing are you thinking of the "something" being please?

Doodledog Sun 17-Jul-22 12:23:32

Yet what sort of thing are you thinking of the "something" being please?
I wasn't thinking of anything grin. I just meant that if people wanted to chat about writing, I would be happy to join in.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 12:31:42

Doodledog

This is why publishers fight shy of anything that has been posted online.

I think there are (at least) two issues.

One is that it has been published as such, so publication elsewhere is not then new to the audience.

Two is that the online publication has resulted in some third party (for example Gransnet the business) either having or claiming some intellectual property rights over the work, such as copyright or licence.

The first one might not be as much o a problem as the second one, because if, say, the author published, say, poems on his or her own website, then a hardcopy book of the poems might sell well, either notwithstanding the online publishing, or because of the online publishing because people have seen the poems online and want the hardcopy version, either for themself or as a gift, or both.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 12:33:17

Doodledog

*Yet what sort of thing are you thinking of the "something" being please?*
I wasn't thinking of anything grin. I just meant that if people wanted to chat about writing, I would be happy to join in.

Oh I can sort something for you then.

Doodledog Sun 17-Jul-22 12:37:56

That's very kind, but I would probably just drop in now and then. Maybe it's best to let the OP take the lead and see where it goes?

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 12:38:03

Oops I wrote Bluebelle and I should have written Doodledog.

My aplogies to both ladies.

Both are welcome.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 12:40:41

Doodledog

That's very kind, but I would probably just drop in now and then. Maybe it's best to let the OP take the lead and see where it goes?

Fine.

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 13:43:38

I don't think anyone is suggesting we share our work on the forum. I'm certainly not. I was thinking more of general chat about our work and anything of interest to writers.

In the interest of starting the ball rolling:

I enjoy writing flash and short stories, mainly of a literary flavour. I particularly like magical realism which is heavy in metaphor and lyrical prose and, by contrast, gritty contemporary work. I have a novel on the back burner, in the early stages of world and character building. I tend to favour fantasy, historical fiction, and romance in novels. I've just started trying my hand at poetry and tend to veer more towards prose poems.

I struggle most with dialogue. It's just not something I find myself using heavily. I'm not great at writing humour, but wish I was.

I've thought about trying my hand at writing for women's magazines but, so far, haven't found one whose stories are my cup of tea so would find that a slog. It's fair to say I haven't sampled too many, though.

I'd love to know more about you all, what you enjoy or otherwise, etc.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 14:16:32

What do you mean by "flash" please?

In relation to dialogue I read somewhere that one can influence reading speed by length of lines.

Apparently one famous writer in her novels had long lines of dialogue in early chapters, then as the story moved to its dramatic climax, had short sentences.

For example, my wording,

"I have been wondering where you have been."
"I have a right to privacy, Where I go is my private business"
"I think you should say, I have been concerned."

"Where have you been?"
"Not saying."
"Tell me!"

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 14:50:35

There's a difference between writing what you want to write or like reading and what others might want to read or, more to the point, might pay to read. There is a discipline of writing for women's magazines. You won't necessarily find one that's your cup of tea. You have to write what is theirs if you want to be paid for your writing and to have a large readership.
It's a two way thing - think of your readers rather than necessarily your preference.

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 15:03:17

Sorry got interrupted before replying to some of the earlier posts.

It sounds very glamorous having a weekly column Cattergirl It might be niche but you must know a lot about cats.

What sort of poetry do you enjoy and write Doodledog?

Flash is very short fiction stardreamer - structured rather differently to a short story. Roughly speaking it's a moment in time which encapsulates a much broader story for example the moment when a relationship breaks up which is written to show all that was good and bad in the relationship distilled in that particular moment. Usually defined to be under 1000 words but in practice most submission calls for flash fall nearer the 300-500 mark, with a speciality being the drabble at exactly 100 words. There are also micorfiction categories within flash where the word count can be as low as say ten words. stardreamer

I agree with what you have shown with regards to that dialogue stardreamer. and I would say that works for the general narrative as well. Short and punchy for speed and emphasis, slower and more meandering to give a more relaxed tone and slow the pace.

I think I just tend not to gravitate to pieces of work that include much dialogue. I think it might be because I write in first and second POV quite often and they don't lend themselves to it so well. I don't seem to come up with ideas that lend themselves to much dialogue which is something I need to think about, because it is an area of writing I want to get better at.

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 15:10:06

I think that's something I need to learn to work on Aveline. What I find difficult if it's something I don't really enjoy is working out what it is that works for the reader so that I can bring that into my own work.

A bit like if you don't like steak (weird I know but I don't) but want to make a special meal for someone who loves it. My inclination would be to do as much as possible to it to make it taste not like steak, but that wouldn't work for the steak lover. With food, you can at least follow a recipe but I'm not sure if that can be applied to a piece of writing.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 15:20:09

Thank you for explaining "flash", hugshelp.

I tend to write in the present tense as if events are happening in the "now" of whenever the reader is reading, not as if recounting what happened at some previous time.

For example,

Stephen opens the door and enters the small café.
"Bonjour", says the young woman from behind the counter.

rather than

Stephen opened the door and entered the small café.
"Bonjour", said the young woman from behind the counter.

Shall we put everything in this thread or shall we have another thread for

On the publication of poetry

?

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 16:36:07

Women's magazines have clear submission guidelines and formats. Check them out.
Try 'Friday Flash Fiction' website. 100 word stories. Worth a look. Free to submit.
Write what you like but be aware readers might not. Eg sorry to say StarDreamer I hate stories written in present tense and actually just don't read further if I find something written in that. It feels fundamentally wrong as no author is going to be frantically scribbling down exactly what they're doing as they do it!
Re dialogue: it's very important especially if you're writing about people. Just write it then read it aloud to see if it feels authentic. People don't speak in full sentences all the time. Listen to conversations on the bus or in cafes. Writing dialogue is a skill worth developing.
Nobody said writing was easy or didn't need practise!