Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2023 - 50 BOOK CHALLENGE

(1000 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 01-Jan-23 07:26:08

Happy New Year GN readers, here it is the all new 50 Books for 2023.

Once again that 50 figure is a mere benchmark to aspire to, if you would like to join in and don't think you will reach 50, please don't let that deter you from partaking in the challenge. I imagine some of you will know that I got the idea for 50 Books from MN they also have one on their site for 25 Books a Year, but their reading community is considerable, ours of course is much smaller so I think starting up two different threads is unnecessary here on GN, I guess anyone who thinks 50 is a daunting number could maybe state they'll aim for 25, but I'll leave that up to the individual.

Primarily this thread will hopefully be ongoing throughout the year for book lovers who enjoy discussing what they've read. Do come here with your recommendations, similarly if you haven't enjoyed a book feel free to say so. Either way it's good to have a range of opinions, or just merely state your reads in a list form if you don't much care for waffling on.

For any newcomers, the choice of book is entirely up to you and can include fiction, non fiction, biographies memoirs, audio/Audible, even a favourite childhood book should you fancy a trip down memory lane.

So that's it! let's commence and happy 2023 reading.

I haven't got book number 1 yet, still reading The Ink Black Heart, 900 pages in with only a 100 to go now, but I included it in last year's total, so I'll start my number 1 in a day or so.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Jan-23 07:58:36

Happy New Year to you Terri. This is a fantastic thread.

My Book No. 1 will be Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty.

TerriBull Sun 01-Jan-23 08:40:59

Happy New Year to you too Sparklefizz and welcome to the new thread

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Jan-23 09:19:00

I haven’t contributed before but just totted up 110 books for last year, almost all audio books, so might have a go at joining in this year.
I’m kicking off with Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart.

kircubbin2000 Sun 01-Jan-23 09:24:50

I started a Peter James last night. I rescued it from the book bank at the dump!

Grandmabatty Sun 01-Jan-23 09:25:27

Notagran I found Young Mungo awfully bleak and actually preferred his first book, Shuggie Bain. It wasn't a barrel of laughs either! I've started The Gone Girls which is a mystery/thriller type. I like to work out who dunnit before the denouement but I have no ideas yet.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 01-Jan-23 09:30:59

Hi All. My book no 1 is Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan: kircubbin, I enjoy Peter James' books- well found!

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Jan-23 10:09:40

I’m definitely bracing myself Grandmabatty after Shuggie which I did enjoy, if that’s the right word!

Juno56 Sun 01-Jan-23 10:10:41

Good morning and Happy New Year. Happy reading to you all.
I haven't decided on my first book of 2023 yet. I am leaning towards The Ink Black Heart but that could take most of January 😕 so I might choose something else. Thank you TerriBull for this and previous years' threads.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Jan-23 10:24:04

Chocolatelovinggran I enjoyed Anatomy of a Scandal which I read last year. Will be interested to hear your views.

Diggingdoris Sun 01-Jan-23 12:49:56

I'm excited to be joining you this year and will try to keep going. A few years back I kept forgetting to contribute so must try harder this time.
Just finished Jeffrey Deaver the final twist before NYeve, really disappointed, confusing. That was no.117 for 2022(according to my spreadsheet)

Now starting Harlan Coben 'Win'. Usually love his writings, so fingers crossed.

Kate1949 Sun 01-Jan-23 13:00:51

I'll try to keep up this year.

Book 1. Call Me Mrs Brown - Brendan O'Carroll's Autobiography.

Startingover61 Sun 01-Jan-23 13:10:12

This is my first time joining in. My current books are:
Agatha Christie: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Alison Weir: Katherine of Aragon (Book 1 in the Six Tudor Wives series).

Diggingdoris Sun 01-Jan-23 13:52:26

I don't know how anyone has 2 books on the go at the same time. My brain would get very muddled! Even with one book I have to keep a note of the characters and significant events along the way! Ha ha

TerriBull Sun 01-Jan-23 14:10:20

Great to see some new posters and hope you enjoy coming here from time to time.

I thought Anatomy of a Scandal was very good, I read it a couple of years ago Chocolatelovinggran, I imagine you probably know that a dramatisation of that book has been made by Neflix.

Was that Peter James's latest Kircubbin? I'm still nearly a hundred and something in the queue at my library for the new Roy Grace, I've read all the others.

I've been known to have more than one book on the go at the same time Diggindoris, sometimes one audio as well as a novel, in book form once or twice have got the plots mixed up that's the trouble! and to add to that I like dipping into non fiction as well, probably book overload shock

startingover61 Agatha Christie's still great who dunnits years later, I read all of them throughout my teens and twenties and could happily delve into them again now.

I think I thought the same about The Ink Black Heart Juno, which is why I started it at the end of last year, I should finish it today but it's taken a while.

Thisismyname1953 Sun 01-Jan-23 14:15:25

May I join in?
Reading is what I do . I’m disabled and I would rather read than anything else. I have a kindle and also the kindle App on my phone . The App gives me information about my reading habits, for instance I have read for 232 weeks in a row and 272 days in a row and last year I read 88 books ending with a book called Kim which I finished at 2am today .
This year started for me with The Third Wife by Lisa Jewel. Enjoy your reading everyone.

Thisismyname1953 Sun 01-Jan-23 14:19:59

My last book of 2022 was Win by Harlan Cobin NOT Kim by goodness knows who 😂

Pigma Sun 01-Jan-23 14:27:21

Hello everyone. Another newbie here but an avid reader and I’d love to join you this year and see where I get to. I’m another one who likes a couple of books on the go at the same time, to pick up and put down as the mood suits! I’m just starting Elizabeth, An Intimate Portrait (of the late queen) by Gyles Brandreth and a novel, The Family Retreat, by Bev Thomas. Will report back in due course. My favourite book of 2022 by a mile was Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton, totally brilliant, and I’ve just finished Mad Bees, the latest Jodie Picoult which was co-written with another author but off the top of my head I forget who. Learnt a lot about bees (!) and very thought provoking around a very contemporary issue. A good read. Looking forward to reading along with you and getting suggestions and feedback on your reads.

notgoneyet Sun 01-Jan-23 14:36:42

Not sure how good I'll be at remembering to keep up-to-date on here, but I read all the time, so I'd like to join in. At the moment I just finished Have You Seen Luis Vele by Catherine Ryan Hyde. It's a good book - about a boy of sixteen, who is very much a loner and feels 'different' from his family. After his one friend leaves the area, he gets to know a 92 year old blind woman in his block of flats. She is wanting to know where Luis Vele has gone; he used to call on her two or three times a week, walk her to the bank and to do some shopping. I enjoyed it.

BrambleJelly Sun 01-Jan-23 14:38:45

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I don't think I'll read 50 books in a year, I do most of my reading in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

I am currently reading The Bookshop On The Shore by Jenny Colgan. It's the first book I've read by her, and am enjoying it more and more as the story unfolds. The next one will be a Christmas present, The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman.

emmasnan Sun 01-Jan-23 14:46:07

Hello All, I'd love to join in.
At the moment I'm reading, An Unwanted Inheritance by Imogen Clark. Enjoying it so far.

Sara1954 Sun 01-Jan-23 15:03:34

Thankyou TerriBull for starting us off again.
I have just started The Appeal, by Janice Hallett, comes highly recommended by one of my daughters, but I haven’t got far yet.
Pigma, Three Hours is one of my favourite books of last year, my absolute favourite of last year was ‘Leave the World Behind’ by Rumaan Alam.
I’ve read quite a few books other readers have recommended which I wouldn’t have read otherwise. and have enjoyed reading other readers opinions on books I’ve read.
Happy New Year Readers.

TerriBull Sun 01-Jan-23 15:12:51

I really liked The Appeal Sara, but I know some people didn't get on with the format of an unfolding narrative through emails. However, I didn't get on with her follow up "The Twyford Code" I found it very confusing.

Welcome to new posters, emmasnan, Bramble Jelly, notgoneyet, Pigma, Thisismyname53

Pigma Sun 01-Jan-23 17:26:12

Sara1954 - working on the principle that if you enjoyed Three Hours too we may have similar taste in books, I’ve just checked and there is a copy of Leave the World Behind in my local library so I’ve added it to my reading list. May take a while to get to it because I hardly dare admit I already have 14 books out -oops, but I’ve got three waiting to go back and am on with two currently. However, at some stage I’ll read it and get back to you! Feeling very much at home here already!

Musicgirl Sun 01-Jan-23 17:31:19

Happy New Year, TerriBull. This is my favourite thread on GN. I am about a quarter of the way through my first book for 2023 (started in 2022), which is A Room Full of Bones by Elly Griffiths. This is an early Ruth Galloway book that I can’t remember if I have read or not but I am enjoying it so far.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion