Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Sick Pay for Cancer Paitent

(16 Posts)
GrannyJan Sun 24-Jul-11 14:00:02

My husband is 63 and at Christmas last year was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. He had a massive operation in January to remove the kidney, along with Lymph Nodes and more of the tumor. He hasn't had a day off sick for over 25 years, never claimed for anything. He is currently on a drug for the cancer that has knocked him for 6 and will be on it for the rest of his days.

He had been made redundant at 60, so we after searching for another sales position with no luck he took a part time job in a store, which he loved along with Toastmastering which was a hobby we were really quite happy with our lot.

Last week his statutory sick pay ran out and he applied for benefit from the state to be told, you are due nothing because you haven't paid enough National Insurance for the last 3 years! I work more than 24 hours a week, (although it is my own business of a retail art gallery - you can imagine how well that is is doing at the moment) so that is another reason why he is due no benefit.

When I rang the Gov. dept concerned they said 'Sorry, no money will be paid because of the 3 years back rule'; I asked what about the 40+ years my husband had worked prior to this massive illness they more or less said you can appeal but don't hold your breath!

I don't know that I am looking for answers to this topic other than to say if he was an 18 year girl who was pregnant and looking for housing and funds to keep her and her baby, would the government pay out - you bet they would.

We are lucky, we have a nice life and will manage - life will be different but we will manage, but what about the poor couples who aren't so fortunate in the same position........................

Elegran Sun 24-Jul-11 14:08:03

GrannyJan - Is there A Maggie's centre at your cancer unit? They are well up on what it is possible to claim and a chat with them might produce a solution.

For instance - can he claim a care allowance or an attendance allowance if he needs help with some things? Don't be proud here, letting him say "Oh I can manage". If you have to help him to wash, dress, get around, etc then he is entitled to an allowance. Same with a disabled parking badge. Apply. even if you don't get it you will have tried (but don't hold your breath while they deliberate. they are not quick)

Zephrine Sun 24-Jul-11 15:45:43

If there's no Maggie's centre CAB might be able to help.

GrannyJan Mon 25-Jul-11 11:22:56

Thanks girls for your comments - think I wanted to just have a vent really!
The MacMillian nurses will help if I get stuck and it is more a matter of principle than anything with this situation.

So onwards and upwards - if all else fails I will write to my MP - oh no, I forgot it is John Redwood - ha ha!

bikergran Mon 25-Jul-11 11:50:01

Hi GrannyJan hope you get take care

Gamma Wed 03-Aug-11 16:47:24

I have cancer and my treatment will put me in the hospital for 6 months and then under very close supervision for 100 days after that. I called the support group for my cancer and they pushed me toward Macmillan Cancer Support. They are experts on benefits and could probably advise on your situation. Their phone number is 0808 808 0000.

Best of luck!


Notsogrand Wed 03-Aug-11 21:34:46

I'm almost certain that you are entitled to Disability Living Allowance if you have cancer, and that they have a 'fast track' system for processing the application. Phone and request the paperwork tomorrow as your claim will be backdated to that phone call. Then you have plenty of time to find out more information & seek advice on filling in the form etc, but the application date will be nailed.
Google 'Benefits Advisors Town You Live In'.Lots of local authorities employ such advisors who will arrange to meet with you and help with what you're entitled to/filling out the form etc.
Good Luck!

susiecb Thu 04-Aug-11 13:59:20

I cant recommend Macmillan Cancer Support highly enough- please give them a try.

SdR Mon 27-Aug-12 18:19:00

I really do sympathise with your situation and love your comment about your MP!!!
Also as a jobbing artist I do know what the market is like at the moment. Why is it that anything to do with the creative industries are the first things to be hit by any tightening of belts?
I hope the other ladies' suggestions prove fruitful.
Good Luck!

jeni Mon 27-Aug-12 18:49:09

You can only 'fast track' under the special rules. For that you have to have life expectancy of under 6months!
You may be eligible under the normal rules if you need help with what they call bodily functions.
Have you looked at supplementary benefit?

annodomini Mon 27-Aug-12 18:56:40

As the OP was over a year ago, I do hope the issue has now been resolved.

jeni Mon 27-Aug-12 19:44:07

Oh I hadn't noticed!

Nanadogsbody Tue 28-Aug-12 12:55:54

If you are made redundant or have to stop work for other reasons it is wisest to keep making NI contributions. After you reach your official retirement age then even if you continue in work you are then exempt from NI contributions.

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 13:36:37

It is!

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 13:39:47

If you sign on, your contributions are credited.

Nanadogsbody Tue 28-Aug-12 22:55:53

That's right they are for Job Seekers etc. Otherwise class 2 contributions are only £2.75 a week or thereabouts. Worth knowing.