Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Hospices - what can we expect when our loved ones are able to stay or visit?

(70 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 20-Jun-12 16:01:25

My sister went to spend a few hours at her local hospice this week, with a view to going regularly, as her illness progresses. It has a great reputation. It was sold to her by the hospice worker as a place to go and do a variety of therapies and activities, and where she could become familiar with the surroundings as she wants to go in the hospice if she is too ill to be nursed at home.

She came home very disappointed. She is only 62, but she said that there was little on offer, shortage of staff, and they said she could join in 'doing quizzes.' She can do that at home with her family, and we have lots of other things that we think up to keep her interested and active.

I asked if I could visit and sit with her for an hour or so when she goes, but it seems that's not allowed (eh?) I asked about the set-up and it seems carers have to drop off the patients at the front door and they don't go in. I imagine it's different when they're staying as an in-patient.

She has enough energy and spirit for her (and me) to see the lack of user-friendliness in this, and we joked about changing the regime, as this isn't our idea of offering some support to cancer patients, unless they are in bed, in which case why not stay in your own comfy bed? Perhaps the visit is just respite for the carer? Her husband certainly needs a break, which we try to help with, but not at the expense of her spending a day bored out of her head. She's going to give it another try next week, in case she caught them on an off day grin

whenim64 Sun 02-Sep-12 14:52:46

Thank you, lovely peeps! smile

mrshat Sun 02-Sep-12 14:32:25

Just logged on to this thread. Deepest sympathy when. Sisters are so special. So pleased the funeral went to plan and you have good memories to hold on to flowers

Faye Sun 02-Sep-12 05:32:13

Hello when I have just read your latest posts. I am really sorry to hear your sad news, you have my deepest sympathy. flowers

grannyactivist Sun 02-Sep-12 01:26:59

When, just got home from a week's holiday. You were in my thoughts quite a bit, so I'm pleased to hear the funeral has now taken place. I smiled at the antics with the door and could imagine it as a TV 'sketch'. grin

whenim64 Sat 01-Sep-12 20:26:32

Ella grin

Ella46 Sat 01-Sep-12 19:56:46

That's why the Irish always have such a kneesup, it's a great release!

Mamie Sat 01-Sep-12 09:52:29

I am so glad that the day went as you all wanted it too. flowers

Littlenellie Sat 01-Sep-12 09:24:03

when the laughter laced with tears is such a release of emotion ,I have been to funerals where this has happened also....thinking of youflowers

whenim64 Sat 01-Sep-12 09:02:57

Yes, the funeral went exactly as my sister wanted (dare I say 'instructed'? She was such an organiser). My BIL was on pins in case he put the wrong people in the wrong cars, and we were laughing because we had images in our heads of a thunderbolt and clap of lightning lifting him off his feet, if he didn't follow things to the letter.

I was in the second car with my other sister and brother and their partners, one of my sons and my niece. We all grew up to the refrain from my dad - 'don't slam that door' - so weren't surprised to be told that one of the doors was still open. As we drove along in the long funeral cortège, we tried opening and shutting all 6 doors in turn, but the indicator still said a door was open, so we tried again, by which time we were hysterical with laughter. We could imagine those behind us thinking 'is this some strange funeral ritual?' and following suit.

By the time we arrived at the church, the waiting crowd could see one car wth grinning faces, and we really had to get a grip. My sister would have loved that moment! grin

Learnergran Sat 01-Sep-12 08:55:09

Thinking of you this morning, when flowers

Bags Sat 01-Sep-12 08:45:49

Hope the funeral was peaceful yesterday, when. Hugs from me too. x

whenim64 Sat 01-Sep-12 08:41:10

Thank you, lovely people smile

Zengran Sat 01-Sep-12 08:27:01

flowers x x x

Elegran Fri 31-Aug-12 09:48:29

Thinking of you, *When" There is no-one like a sister.

Littlenellie Fri 31-Aug-12 09:32:07

when you have been in my thoughts over the last week or so and I have toyed with the idea of sending a pm but felt it was intrusive as I guessed what may have happened ,I just want you to know you are in my thoughts,but so glad that you have happy memories to cherish,I am sorry for your loss,flowers

Ella46 Fri 31-Aug-12 09:02:52

when flowers

bikergran Fri 31-Aug-12 08:57:41

only just caught upon this thread....whenim64 take care flowers

Gally Thu 30-Aug-12 23:43:10

When sending you lots of love and flowers and a (((hug))). You will have lost of support from GN

Nanadogsbody Thu 30-Aug-12 23:29:07

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. So sorry to hear your sad news. flowers

harrigran Thu 30-Aug-12 23:19:57

when may your memories help you get through this difficult time, sending a (hug) flowers

whenim64 Thu 30-Aug-12 23:09:07

Thanks again, everyone. flowers

Sewsilver Thu 30-Aug-12 22:40:42

Whenflowers

AlisonMA Thu 30-Aug-12 16:18:05

when I seem to have missed this thread first time round. So sad to hear about your loss. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. I know what it is to lose a sister, I watched mine go downhill slowly and still miss her. flowers

Bez Thu 30-Aug-12 15:26:16

Deepest sympathy flowers

whenim64 Thu 30-Aug-12 14:40:25

Thanks, and also thank you for the kind PMs that were sent over the last few weeks. smile